“Yukky Taco Bell is better (believe it or not)”
Review of El Sombrero

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
El Sombrero
Ranked #9 of 18 Restaurants in Wrightstown
Browns Mills, New Jersey
“Yukky Taco Bell is better (believe it or not)”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Just returned from there for dinner. Never. Ever. Again. Period. The nachos were totally dry- no sour cream, no guacamole, no sauce of any kind and- get this- NO CHEESE at all on or in ANY of the 4 entrees we ordered (3 enchilada platters and a burrito platter). I have never in my many years of life eaten any mexican meal (be it from Taco Bell to a fine dining mexican restaurant) that has not contained cheese. There was a sprinkling of white powder on the liquid refried beans, and we were told this was the cheese; the guy's quote: "real mexican cheese"..erm, yeah, ok buddy. The enchiladas were just the same as the nachos.. totally dry. We opened them up and they contained small chunks of meat that has either been microwaved or sitting all day, and nothing else. Mine was supposed to have green sauce but there was none I could detect. The platters each came with rice and refried beans (the aforementioned 'liquid' beans), both of which were cold on all our plates. There was one guy there who was the server and the cook, and although there was only one other party of 3 in the restaurant the same time as us, it took him 30 minutes to get our food out. Honestly, I am not a food snob but I am a good food fan; and I can objectively say that anyone who has rated this place more than 1 star MUST just be used to eating McDonalds/trash and have little appreciation for food. To add insult to injury, we politely explained that we were very sorry but the food was cold, dry and tasteless, but that we were willing to pay for our appetizer (only because we ate it) and our drinks. We really only offered this to be polite and because we felt bad for the guy, and did not expect him to take any of our money... but he did! There were 4 of us, and the bill was almost $19 for 1 nacho appetizer, 2 bottles of water and 2 sodas! Unbelieveable! We were fools for even offering to pay for anything, so shame on us in that respect. I am bewildered as to how this place can even be in business. For the love of God, stay AWAY from here. If you need a local eatery, go to Afghan Kebob down the road. If you want excellent authentic inexpensive mexican cuisine, go to El Azteca in Marlton. If you want a mexican extravaganza including the best guacamole in South Jersey, and don't mind spending slightly more, go to La Esperanza in Gibbsboro.

Oh one last thing.. as Afghan Kebob was closed and we were hungry with no other close-enough options, so we picked up a couple burritos from yukky taco bell. Let me tell you that my yukky taco bell burrito tasted like a slice of heaven compared to what we had just rejected at El Sombrero.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Kelly M

Clive, Iowa
“always be leery of a restaurant that is not busy”
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Just disappointed to say the least. I was the only one in there on a Friday night at 8PM, that alone should say something about the place. The waiter seemed more interested in what was going on in the back to even do a courtesy check. Will not go back.

Visited November 2013