“Location is what it all about here....not room quality”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chama
Little Creel Resort
Ranked #4 of 10 Speciality Lodging in Chama
Reviewed 2 July 2012

Location, location, location is the rule for real estate and also applies in this case to cabins. Little Creel is located ideally--just on the edge of town so it is quiet and it most importantly, it is right on the river with easy access. Unfortunately, the cabins are what keep this place from getting an outstanding review. We just rented five cabins for a family reunion. Each of them were pretty dated and shabby, if not downright falling apart, in terms of furnishings and fixtures. Most importantly, they were just on the edge of being dirty. For instance, housekeeping needs to sweep the cobwebs off baseboards and upper walls. Carpets were filthy (and really, who wants carpet in a cabin anyway?) Everything needed paint. One sofa was literally falling apart and all the seating was uncomfortable. One bed was missing a slat and unusable. When reported to the office and asked to fix, they never followed through until finally we rigged it up with whatever we could find so that it was usable. However, they did replace a broken microwave in one cabin immediately. Sheets did not fit beds in some cases and in all cases, the sheets were dingy, old and questionable in terms of how clean they were. The bathroom was reasonably clean, but the shower curtain was falling off the rod and too long for the shower, so it always made a mess. The oven hood in the kitchen was layered with years--and I mean YEARS--worth of cooking grease and truly disgusting. We sucked it up and enjoyed our stay for the most part, but we also spent 90% of our time outdoors. If this place spent some money--not to mention elbow grease and imagination--on outfitting their cabins in a reasonable manner, I would rate Little Creel at excellent. On the plus side, they were generous in letting us set up camping in the field behind the cabins and the RV facilities (showers, bathrooms) were excellent. The owners are clearly trying to upgrade the place and with so much potential in their cabins and location, I hope they are successful. I'd like to stay with them again, but only if I'm in my own RV or tent or if they upgrade and clean their cabins.

Room Tip: It appears the smaller cabins are newer and possibly cleaner and more updated. However, cabins 18 an...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Dawn J

Reviewed 9 April 2012

I stayed in one of the cabins, and loved it. The area is beautiful and the cabin was very comfortable. The family that manages it were very nice and friendly. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Cindy G
Reviewed 26 June 2011

I spent a quiet night in the tent and found this campground better suited for RV folk. The bathroom had free showers but one stall was in repair mode. This is my second stay and both times I found the staff friendly and the clientele very family oriented. No party animals, no boom boxes. The river flows around it and is very green. The price is right, they just need a little fixing up.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank daleglide
Reviewed 3 April 2010

Stayed in the large adjoining cabins.
Blood in the refrigerator.
Mouse droppings in the silverware drawer.
Smelly garbage dumpster next to the kitchen window.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank FabfourNM
Reviewed 15 June 2009

This will be my third year staying here. We stayed one year in the hotel and one in the cabin and we loved it each time. Windy has been a great help and the staff is very friendly. We like it so much that we told our friend and they had me reserved 9 cabin and 8 hotels now in June 2009. It is a great place my kids are very excited to go back.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 September 2008

Little Creel has two types of cabins - the "old" ones and the "new" ones. Stay clear of the older cabins- they are filthy from top to bottom, have very small showers, and older beds. The duplex units 117 and 118 should be reserved for large related groups only as the walls are paper thin. The website indicates some of the old cabins have been renovated but I guess they forgot the cleaning part of the renovation.

The new cabins are #21, #4, #5, #6 - these are new and very clean.

The public showers in the RV park are very clean and nice.

Happy Travels!