“July 4th weekend”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chama
Little Creel Resort
Ranked #3 of 10 Speciality Lodging in Chama
Kirtland, Ohio
“July 4th weekend”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

In the past we've stayed here and enjoyed our visit, but this time it was disappointing. The bathrooms were very dirty and two of the toilets were out of order leaving only one. The trash was piled high even on the following Monday and it's a good thing the bears didn't get into it! Maybe there wasn't enough staff to take care of such a high volume of people.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Buzz2002

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Roswell, New Mexico
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Have stayed at this campground several times and still enjoy it. My family stays in a tent and there is plenty of room. We stayed over the busy 4th of July weekend. The only suggestions I would have for this is to be better prepared for the large increase in visitors. The staff was unable to keep up with the high use of the facilities and several times throughout the weekend they had to close them. Also the picnic tables could definitely use an upgrade. Several you had to time sitting down with someone on the other side because they swayed so much it was like being on a teeter totter. Despite these few things we always get treated well by the staff and like the other reviews say it is an ideal location for fishing.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank josha27
Albuquerque
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We have stayed in the pasted and it was nice. This week-end was not the case. The office staff was rude and did not have a clue how to run the the business. Could not even operate the copier. The tissue they provide for the cabin was next to nothing. Our cabin was very dirty. Never Again.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the new cabins or better still find another place.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank mimimcq
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 16 October 2013

My family and I stayed two nights in the cabins at Little Creel. For whatever reason, we decided that we needed to stay in cabins adjacent to one another. My aunt and uncle had a nice little cabin. It was clean and well lit. Our cabin, however; was a little rough around the edges. A woman in a local store told us horror stories about people's stay in the cabins right after we checked in.. so we were planning on coming home with bed bugs and all types of nasty things. After thoroughly inspecting all the beds and linen, we found nothing of the sort. Our cabin was very dark. When we got ready for bed, we noticed a leak from the bathroom sink. The bathroom floor also sank in a bit, as this leak must have been an issue for quite some time. The next morning, we found a leak in the kitchen -- not too sure where that came from. Then the coffee pot exploded. Not to mention this all occurred at about 3 am because I woke up freezing in the "vestibule." Our room had a main room where my parents stayed and I was in an outdoor porch that was converted into a bedroom and it was FREEZING! The heat would only go on if you put it up to 90 and after 3 hours the room still wasn't warm. That morning we called the managers and told them about the room and they immediately upgraded us to a new cabin. It was very nice. It was clean and brightly lit. There were two air conditioners and a ceiling fan so it must be comfortable in the summer. The heating system worked very well; however, it would turn on about every 10 minutes, so if you're a light sleeper, you might want to stay on one of the bunk beds in the other room. Overall, some of the cabins needed a major upgrade. We went from a cabin built in 1947 to one built in 2007. The staff was very accommodating and we were very appreciative of the upgrade!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Brittany G
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We are RV people but for this weekend (Chama Days) we decided to rent a cabin. WRONG CHOICE! The cabin was so disgusting had there been anywhere else in Chama available we would of rather picked up our stuff and left! The floors, walls were so gross, the furniture was even worse! We found mouse poop on one of the pull out beds There was dog hair all over the 1 queen bed not to mention a dried worm like thing on the pillow. When we moved the couch over it looked as if it had never been vacuumed and a mouse had been shredding up trash under the sofa. I can go on and on about how gross and unsanitary this place was but I'm sure you got the drift. When I brought the conditions to the management they sent over an employee as we walked through and showed her how nasty it was she agreed to the fullest and said she didn't blame us for the complain! Management was quick to tell us that we basically were trying to get out of the 2nd night stay. Wow! First and LAST Time we will ever stay at this place!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank LynetteD2013
Bosque, NM
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Beautiful spot. But anywhere on the Chama is a beautiful spot. The grounds themselves were well kept. Let me start out by saying we are a family of campers and fisherfolks. We tent camp often. We are not hard to please. We rented two of the cabins and wished we would have camped in tents. One cabin was advertised as a full kitchen. There was a refrigerator with a freezer that needed to be defrosted about 2 years ago; the refrigerator part barely worked and kept the food marginally cool. It was very old and needed to be replaced. The sink leaked copiously. The "full" kitchen had no can opener, no skillet, no spatula, no sink stopper, nothing to bake with; no broiler or other oven pan. The dishes were random and not very usable. The chairs in the kitchen were old and very uncomfortable to sit in. The beds were absolutely awful; to the point that my husband and daughter both woke with back aches. They were what we non-affectionately refer to as "Fred Flintstone" beds; hard as slabs of rock.
The cabins are very run down to the point that the floors slope. The cabins had only been spot cleaned and they were filthy. Worst of all was the attitude of the people in the office. When I inquired about a sink stopper, can opener, I was told I was asking for high tech stuff (it was said with some humor) but I was given a k ration can opener (never been able to use those) and told there was no sink stopper. The following day, I asked for a trash bag and a broom to borrow to sweep the floor. I was told "If I can find them". After much hunting, a trash bag was located as was a broom for me to borrow. The feeling I got when I made my inquiries were that these managers/owners were exhausted and did not want to be bothered at all.
Had we just taken our tents and our camp crates our accommodations would have been much nicer. When I spoke to these owners or managers on the phone they were very nice and helpful...not sure if they were out of town or what the deal was. Sorry Little Creel...never again unless ownership or attitude change.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Luanne T
Gardnerville, Nevada, United States
Reviewed 25 June 2013

We stayed one night at this campground. The location is nice, but unfortunately the facilities are in dire need of repair. This could be a very nice campground if maintained. The setting was beautiful with a river running through it and wifi connection was excellent. Friendly staff.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple