“No atmosphere and slow service”
Review of JV's Place

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
JV's Place
Ranked #8 of 15 Restaurants in Chama
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: This hole-in-the-wall place has AMAZING green chili burgers!
Description: This hole-in-the-wall place has AMAZING green chili burgers!
Reviewed 7 July 2014

The Green Chile Cheeseburgers are great but be aware it takes quite a while to be served. It's pretty popular and mostly full around lunchtime.

1  Thank kate13608

Reviewed 28 June 2014

These people make a good meal, but their customer service is downright terrible. They really need to learn a few things about catering to clients. I'd eat there again because the food is good, but now I know what to expect with the staff - curt, abrupt, unfriendly. They actually make you want to leave...very unwelcoming. So I guess if you want to pick-up a to-go order and go eat in a more comfortable environment it's fine.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

We came with friends with most of us ordering the Mexican Burger. Boy was it good!!! It's a large beef burger on half a bun topped with cheese and smothered with chili and served with fries. The green chili on the burger was very flavorful and nicely spicey. Our server was friendly and attentive and we were very pleased with the service. We'll be returning....the tacos looked very good.

Reviewed 4 August 2013

I feel compelled to counter the opinion of the previous reviewer. My wife and I are as gringo as it gets and we have always been treated very well when we have visited JVs Place over a period of several years. Granted, the daughter of the owners who waits tables by herself can occasionally get overwhelmed, as can the small kitchen, but she works very hard to take care of all their customers and we have found her to be courteous and engaging. More importantly, we've never been disappointed with the New Mexican food. I do agree that the sign by the register about customers with bad attitudes is unnecessary and inappropriate. I assume the owner thinks it is funny.

3  Thank Roadwarriors2
Reviewed 18 July 2013 via mobile

Chose this ratty hole in the wall because of a recommendation from the (Cumbres and Toltec) gift shop owner, he assured us its the best place for Mexican food in town.

After spending the day in Pagosa Springs we were really looking forward to a good meal. We arrived at 6 pm, there were more empty tables than occupied tables (believe there were a total of maybe eight tables in the place). Placed our order or a plate of enchiladas, and a combo plate, chips and salsa, coke and tea.

The drinks came right away.

The food came over an hour later, at seven we have up and went to cashier saying we would pay for drinks but have completely given up on the food. We were told by the cook that the food was almost done and that we HAD to pay for it.

I noticed a sign at the register that said something about bad attitudes ... wish I had seen it when we walked in because any establishment that has a sign like that must give poor service and cause their customers to become irritated.

We left there without $24 and with greasy and bland food in to go boxes and without the chips and salsa that we had ordered and presumably paid for --- we are not certain because we were not given a receipt. The dogs wouldn't even eat the food.

The waitress never once checked on us during our hour there. Had she given us our chips and salsa it might have helped pass the time, had she taken a moment to stop at the table instead of talking to several people at the register and explain that they were running behind that might have made a difference.

All of the locals and the people who are the same race were being promptly helped ... my husband and I do not share their color of skin so maybe don't serve white people.

I have enjoyed all of the other businesses in Chama but give this 'restaurant' a negative 10 in all areas.

Customer service is truly dead in JV's trashy little hole in the wall.

2  Thank Okspirit