“Next time we'll stay longer!”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chimayo
El Meson de la Centinela
Ranked #4 of 4 Chimayo B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Is it contradictory to say someplace is both cozy and spacious? Our Ristra suite was just this--very home-like living space, with comfy couch and loveseat for TV watching, fireplace, dining table with at least 6 chairs (maybe 8?). The bed was tucked into a nook behind a half wall just to the other side of the fireplace. Plenty of dresser space, although for our one-night stay we didn't really unpack. The kitchen is tiny but well-equipped, and nicely sky-lit. Two lovely outdoor patio areas. As others have said, it's on the main road and easy to find, but quite and peaceful. There were rainstorms the night we stayed and the adobe was so cozy we didn't even hear it unless we were in the bathroom.

Pat was so kind and accommodating to our needs. We also love her husband's work in the gallery next door.

Room Tip: One note for anyone with mobility limitations--this particular suite (Ristra) had a couple of steps...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mfred57

Reviewed 24 October 2013

El Meson de la Centinela was by far the nicest place to stay in the Chimayo- Espanola area. Pat was very knowledgeable and helpful about where to eat and what to see. A great plus is taking a trip across the road to see her brother work at his craft!!! The rooms were large and quite comfortable. The road from Espanola to Chimayo is full of curves, and locals fly past you! But the stay was very enjoyable.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Macombsboo
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Can’t imagine any traveler asking for more—the rooms are warm and welcoming and incredibly comfortable. We had a beautiful kiva fireplace, king-size bed and full kitchen (complete with 2 kinds of coffee in the fridge!). Located near the road and easy to find, the rooms are completely surrounded by wonderful natural landscaping; we could have easily spent the day on the patio watching birds visit the huge willow tree that greets your arrival.

Traveling is not only about the places we visit, but the people we meet along the way. The owners, Pat and Marco, are people you will remember long after many of your travel memories fade away. This couple is gracious and incredibly talented— Pat is a writer who really knows the history of this area; she’s also a biologist who raises churro sheep and is working to bring back the Spanish horse and Mammoth mule. Her husband, Marco partners in this process with his own impressive background in equine genetics. As if that weren’t enough, he’s an amazing sculptor whose gallery (Oviedo Gallery) should definitely be a stop on your journey.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Julie W
Reviewed 4 July 2013

If I could rate this 6 or 7 stars, I certainly would! From my arrival to check out, everything was perfect. This lovely home turned guest home for weary travelers is so very welcoming. Just driving into the driveway, seeing the property was encouraging because it is so peaceful and lovely. The Inn is right on the High Road to Taos and you can't miss it. Pat, the owner, met me and checked me in, making certain I was familiar with everything, including how the TV worked! She also stayed to visit a while and told me quite a bit about the area and how her family homesteaded here over 300 years ago! The decor is gorgeous, with original weavings, artwork, and even a kokopelli at the head of the bed, carved by Pat’s talented husband, Marco. They’ve taken steps to make you feel you are absolutely at home with little touches I didn’t expect from an individual inn. The rooms are very, very clean and very spacious, each with an entrance onto an area of the patio which is completely private and cozy. I had access to a full kitchen and just having the refrigerator and freezer was a big plus for me. The fireplace was the focal point of the sitting room, and the furniture is new, stylish and comfortable. I went to Chimayo on a prayer pilgrimage, and this traveler's inn was close to everything, including all the churches I visited and the Sanctuario de Chimayo. I rarely spend much time in my room when I travel, but I could not wait to get back to El Meson just to relax, and found myself retiring early to rest in the cozy bed. To think I almost stayed in Santa Fe in a chain hotel!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 June 2013

I stayed at El Meson de la Centinela for two nights. I was delighted to find such spacious and comfortable accommodations at such a reasonable price. Though it is right on the road there is little traffic. I thoroughly enjoyed being so close to the farm the family owns and to the amazing art(sculptue and weaving). Sitting on the porch listening to nature and feeling the breeze was delightful. El Meson is just minutes from my the Santuary at Chimayo and close to so many wonderful artists.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Terre B

Been to El Meson de la Centinela? Share your experiences!