“Get rid of the cat”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Kentucky
“Get rid of the cat”
Reviewed 18 September 2013

If no one lives on the property why is there a cat living there causing potential problems for persons. Guests are not house guests but paying customers and it is not reasonable for a paying customer to be restricted from areas accessed by other paying customers just because of a cat.

I called ahead and was given separate and comfortable and really rather lovely accommodations in an area away from the main house. Checking in I saw the litter box next to the front entry in the common room. I was told Internet was sketchy so I could use the common room computer. No, I couldn't because of the cat. I was told I could frequent the kitchen. No, I couldn't because the cat's food and water dishes were in the kitchen. I was told the cat would be kept out of the breakfast room during breakfast so I could eat with my group. If the cat had been in the breakfast room then the allergens were in the breakfast room. I ate outside and there was cat hair on the cushions to the patio furniture.

I'm going into detail here to let others know the situation with the cat. If the cat is not the pet of someone who lives there it would be better for paying customers if it became a personal house pet and not part of the B&B charm.

Overall, the inn was lovely. The casita was clean and had many ammenities for an extended comfortable stay. The staff was friendly. The breakfast was well prepared. The location was perfect for the purpose of our stay. I was embarrassed that I had to cause a fuss with my group and not be able to meet and dine with them.

Thank you for all your efforts to help, but I would advise those with cat allergies to stay elsewhere. It is a health issue that I do not think the owner truly understands.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank caymansilvas
EnchantedNewMexico, Owner at Casa Escondida Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 20 September 2013
Overall, you seemed to enjoy your stay and we are happy for that but your "warning" to other guests regarding the fact that we have a resident B&B cat is somewhat unnecessary because we do not hide the fact that this is so. As a matter of fact, it is clearly stated on our website, as well as other sources. After all, it is through the public information regarding the resident B&B cat, that you emailed us prior to your arrival about your cat allergies. Your email seemed to be asking that we guarantee you that you will not have any contact with any cat dander during your 1-night stay with your tour group. My response to you was that I could not guarantee this. I also suggested that only you know what your level of sensitivity is and therefore, you needed to make the decision as to what was best for you. This is true for all of our guests with pet allergies. We appreciated being notified in advance of your special needs. In response to this, we gladly moved you to our suite, which is detached from the main house. On occasion, we have other guests with cat allergies as well. As you noted, our housekeeping is very good and we do use products like anti-allergen Fabreez. We have yet to have any guests who have had a problem in terms of reacting to the cat, including yourself. If there were any issues, you never made mention of it during your stay. We understand that no one property is a perfect fit for 100% of the traveling population. While it is not at all uncommon for a bed & breakfast to have a resident pet, it obviously was not a good fit for you but we did the best that we could for you during your stay. BTW - I’m the owner and I DO live on the property. We do offer FREE wi-fi for our guests. We have even recently added a wi-fi extender, so there is now wi-fi all the way down by our outdoor hot tub. However, we are located in a rural area. So there are times when our internet service is better than others. We are expecting the availability of a general internet service upgrade within the next 12 weeks. We will make it available to our guests the moment the internet company makes it available to us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 4 September 2013

My wife and I have truly enjoyed our stays at this comfortable B&B outside of Santa Fe. Though a little off the beaten path, it really isn't too hard to find. The breakfasts we have enjoyed there are wonderful, and the staff is warm and genial. The housecat they keep was friendly, if occasionally loud at night, and did a lot to keep the atmosphere homey. We will definitely stay there again in the near future!

Room Tip: The Heart of the House room is spacious, has a private exit to the terrace, and includes a fireplace...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Casa Escondida is a wonderful place to get away from Albuquerque if you arre a local, or a perfect spot to stay if you are visiting New Mexico from out of State. It is a peaceful spot, tatsetfully decorated, welcoming, and completely relaxing! The staff is wonderful...helpful and friendly, and the food is terrific!
The B&B is centrally located to many of New Mexico's historic sites, and right amidst the stunning beauty that IS northern New Mexico. We cannot wait to return in the fall!

Room Tip: The Vista Room is great if you like to sit outside with a beverage and nature watch. The Kiva Room...
Green Features: This Inn is very green. They are all about nature, recycling, and water conservation. A MUST in New Mexico!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Westport, CT
Reviewed 23 July 2013

This was my family's second stay at Casa Escondida, separated by four years. Both times, we have stayed in the Casita, which is perfect for a larger group.

I can't say enough about the charming, quiet, nature-filled setting -- so relaxing, and yet it's easy to get into Santa Fe for the museums, restaurants and other city attractions. Each morning, we looked forward to the generous, delicious homemade breakfasts, and drinking our early morning coffee on the veranda while watching the antics of the hummingbirds at the feeders. We love the fact that Casa Escondida has no TV or phones in the rooms -- it's the kind of place you go to disconnect from the hectic pace of daily life. The common room is charming and comfy, and filled with guide books and other information about the area.

Belinda and her staff obviously put a lot of effort into making everyone feel at home, from the welcome plate of biscochitos in our room, to the cold lemonade on demand in the kitchen, to their helpful sightseeing suggestions.

NEXT time, I want to reserve an on-site massage!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank conguirk
Reviewed 17 July 2013 via mobile

Clean b&b. courteous people. Breakfast was well portioned enjoyable. Backyard area was beautiful in the morning after you wake up. Seemed a little bit overpriced but I guess you pay for which you get,

• Stayed July 2013
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We stayed here in June as part of a driving trip across the US. We were traveling with our small dog, so we needed a place that had a kitchen(ette) and was pet friendly. Casa met this on both counts. We had been staying in budget chain hotels and eating take out, so we were relieved to find a location where we could cook a bit and have some breathing room.

Everyone was friendly and nice and the studio space was comfortable and had nice light. I felt like it could have used a bit more attention to cleaning--especially the kitchen--dishes were greasy from being on display instead of in the cabinet. My only other complaint was that both the front and back screen doors were ripped a bit, so a few bugs were able to sneak in the afternoon and at dusk. The sunset/moonrise viewed from our patio was spectacular.

The breakfasts were substantial and tasty and the coffee they served seemed like it had cinnamon added, which was a nice touch. It was lovely watching the birds at the feeders while we had breakfast on the patio.

The location in Chimayo was off the beaten path and enabled us to experience some true New Mexico, different than just touring urban areas.

Staff was helpful with suggestions, but I also recommend reviewing the in-room binder as it has some good information about places to eat and visit. We found it the day we were leaving unfortunately.

Green Features: They had an informative note in the bathroom regarding conservation of water use and linen replacement.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 15 June 2013

My husband and I first stayed at Casa Escondida in the early 90's, even before Belinda built her own house nearby. We've always been welcomed warmly, and the house feels so much like home we consider Belinda to be family. After our first visit we brought friends with us (from Sacramento, CA), sent other friends from California, and returned again a year or so later when I pruned her apple tree. Even after moving to Albuquerque, we came back for my birthday celebration in October. You can read much the same thing in other reviews; this is an exceptional place. There are gorgeous places all around the property to sit and relax, inside and out. Star gazing is remarkable out there in the country, especially the August meteor showers, or the occasional space station flyover. The only time I thought we had chosen the wrong room is when we stayed in the Sun Room during a full moon. It was so brightly lit I didn't sleep at all. Ambiance, food, hospitality, comfort, location, privacy and an opening to Spirit can all be felt at the same time. Do use this place as a hub for all other activities in this part of northern New Mexico. The value of a stay here includes many day trips that can be combined so you can see more than one thing in one day, and all within an easy drive from Casa Escondida. Go hide in the woods. Separate yourself from the rat race, and just breathe.

Room Tip: The Vista Room (up some narrow stairs) is a favorite because of it's large private balcony. The...
Green Features: This is a "green friendly" business. Read the page on their website to get a good idea of the changes and improvements they've made.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chimayo
Cities of Gold Casino Hotel
Inn of the Governors
#11 of 60 in Santa Fe
Old Santa Fe Inn
#10 of 60 in Santa Fe

Been to Casa Escondida Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!