“Peaceful and Lovely”

Casa Escondida Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 4 Chimayo B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 2 November 2013

We spent most of our honeymoon at this lovely and rustic retreat in a beautiful area of New Mexico. We stayed in the Sun Room, which has its own patio and a nice sitting area inside. We found the staff to be charming and efficient. Griffin, the house cat (also charming) is very friendly and will sleep with you if you let him (we didn't). Breakfasts were ample and tasty; the green chile casserole was my favorite entree, and the sausage was some of the best I've ever had. There was a guest refrigerator available to store leftovers, wine, cheese, etc. While the owner doesn't live in the house, she lives very close by, and was helpful with suggestions about things to do in the area. We loved the relaxed atmosphere, which was perfect for our honeymoon. It was very pleasurable to sit in the hot tub and look up at the sky at night. We heard coyotes yipping every night for a short time; otherwise, it was very quiet. It is an easy drive to Santa Fe or Ojo Caliente; Taos is about and hour and fifteen minutes away. The nearby "High Road to Taos" makes a nice drive even if you don't go all the way there.

Room Tip: The Sun Room is spacious and comfortable, with its own patio. The Vista Room is also spacious and h...

Reviewed 18 October 2013

While there is nothing particularly wrong with Casa Escondida, there is nothing particularly wonderful about it either. The owners don't live on site, so the staff runs the place. They're nice and helpful, but they don't go that extra step that a live-in B&B owner does. The place is kind of tired, the appointments aren't really personal. Clean, ordinary breakfast, bad bathroom, meh...

1  Thank MattfromDenver77
casaescondida, Owner at Casa Escondida Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2013

Hi Matt. Thanks for taking the time to write your review. We always appreciate that. We are sorry to hear that your experience was just so-so. We understand that what we offer is somewhat of a “niche” experience. What we try to provide is a very “authentic” New Mexico experience and not the somewhat culturally sanitized version of New Mexico that you may find in the more common tourist destinations of New Mexico. Given our rural location (although easy access to Santa Fe, Taos, Bandelier National Park, hot springs, etc) and our TV-Free environment, we know that some folks may have more of an appreciation for things like flat screen TVs and being able to step out of their door to walk to the trendiest restaurant. In contrast, we offer access to traditional weaving shops and local galleries where you actually meet the artist, historic churches and scenic drives. So we may not be a good fit for 100% of the traveling population. Just to clarify, I DO live on-site and I’m not an absentee owner. While I do have good staff, they do not run the place without my presence or input. Between the 2 of us, we serve breakfast 7 days a week (I’m one of those 2). It would seem that you were a guest on a morning when I wasn’t serving but that doesn’t mean that wasn’t working. I’m sorry that I missed you but given the multitude of responsibilities of an innkeeper, it isn’t possible for me to be with the guests 7 days a week. Based on your comment about the bad bathroom, I’m guessing that you were in one of our Garden Rooms. We agree. Those bathrooms were not great. However, since your stay, we have renovated those bathrooms. The new showers are beautiful. They are now larger with all new fixtures and Mexican tile. We have also added additional sound-proofing to those rooms during the room renovation. We are sorry that we didn’t meet your expectations but we do hope that you return for future visits to New Mexico.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Our first trip to New Mexico but not our last! We planned on staying in Santa Fe but after consulting trip advisor decided to opt for Casa Escondida, (a 30 min drive to Santa Fe through beautiful scenery) and so glad we did. More than just a bed and breakfast, we had the use of a lovely lounge and were able to help ourselves to hot and cold drinks and snacks from the kitchen.
Belinda made us feel very welcome and cooked excellent breakfasts (even supplied me with a recipe when requested) She was very helpful and recommended a local restaurant which we ate at both nights of our stay, again excellent food but daunting portions(as always in the U.S.) Lovely to return to after a days sightseeing in Santa Fe. If you prefer stay to in a rural setting when visiting a city this is definitely the place for you. Hope to return and use as a base to explore more of northern New Mexico .

1  Thank Elizabeth G

We hope you return too! You are correct. Chimayo is a very different experience vs. staying in Santa Fe proper. While we LOVE Santa Fe and the close proximity to it, some prefer to have a place that is quite, rural and very home-like to return to after a busy day of sight-seeing. We hope that Casa Escondida provides the needed respite for folks to enjoy and also allows you to re-connect with the person you are traveling with (or even with yourself). Thank you for taking the time to post your review!

Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

Looked for a B&B that was near Santa Fe and found this place Glad I did! stayed here for one night and it was everything that it was described on their website! It was a full house the night we stayed. But all the rest of the guests were also friendly and enjoyed getting to know some if them. Very friendly staff! One staff member named Rebecca was so sweet when we arrived! Very helpful showed us around the property. She even offered to take us to the nearby restaurant since we were unfamiliar to the area and wanted to have dinner! It was time for her to end her day of work and I'm sure she wanted to get home to her family but she offered to drive us to the restaurant so we wouldn't get lost. That was really nice of her. This place had lots of charm and warmth feeling about it. If you are in need of a place to go for relaxation, peace and solitude this is the place for you! Rooms are nice and clean. Breakfast was good and there was plenty. Cell service isn't great out there but they offer their land line phone if you need to make calls and they do have Wifi with a laptop available. My favorite part of this place was sitting outside on their poarch with a cup of hot chocolate watching the different birds nearby! So simple but well needed in times when our lives get too busy for us. Oh and their Biscochitos added a yummy touch to our room!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JenniferC C
Reviewed 3 October 2013

I have always loved the Chimayo area since living in Santa Fe a few years ago. When I saw Casa Escondida on TripAdvisor I knew that it was the place for us.
Due to some unforeseen delays we arrived later than expected, I thought oh no we are going to have to go someplace else, but Griffin, the cat came up and asked to be let in, I read the notice on the door and saw that he should be inside at night because of the coyotes in the area. So to let him in, I found that the door was open and immediately saw the note and keys that were waiting for me.
I helped my friend to get settled into her room then sat out on the patio enjoying the fabulous cool breeze and listening to the beautiful night sounds of the desert. Even the Coyote calls were welcome to me. I was able to relax more than I had since our trip began. What a wonderful place to replenish your strength and your spirit.
Then after a plush restful night the breakfast was scrumptious and visiting with fellow travelers was a sheer delight.
Oh yes, DON'T GET RID OF THE CAT!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Hello Belinda
You probably don't remember us but my wife and I stayed at your bed and breakfast from July 17 thru July 19 and both of us really enjoyed our stay. Thanks for everything and for the delicious breakfast. We both felt that we were welcome and truly guests in your home. We plan on coming back soon. In response to the gentleman from Kentucky who doesn't like cats i'm a cat lover myself! I have one dog and four cats! I myself can't imagine life without an animal! During our stay we had to leave our cats at home and put our dog in a kennel before we made the trip to Casa Escondida. I was very sad that we had to leave our pets behind. When we arrived at Casa Escondida it was nice to see an animal for a change! Griffin replaced what was missing as far as animals. Griffin made us feel like we were welcome! I know there are people with allergies and of course the gentleman is entitled to his opinions concerning cats and I respect that. If he has problems with allergies then perhaps he should find other accommodations! Please don't get rid of Griffin. I think he is a wonderful cat and I want to see him the next time me and my wife stay at your bed and breakfast! I would be very sad to see him go!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John249
Reviewed 18 September 2013

If no one lives on the property why is there a cat living there causing potential problems for persons. Guests are not house guests but paying customers and it is not reasonable for a paying customer to be restricted from areas accessed by other paying customers just because of a cat.

I called ahead and was given separate and comfortable and really rather lovely accommodations in an area away from the main house. Checking in I saw the litter box next to the front entry in the common room. I was told Internet was sketchy so I could use the common room computer. No, I couldn't because of the cat. I was told I could frequent the kitchen. No, I couldn't because the cat's food and water dishes were in the kitchen. I was told the cat would be kept out of the breakfast room during breakfast so I could eat with my group. If the cat had been in the breakfast room then the allergens were in the breakfast room. I ate outside and there was cat hair on the cushions to the patio furniture.

I'm going into detail here to let others know the situation with the cat. If the cat is not the pet of someone who lives there it would be better for paying customers if it became a personal house pet and not part of the B&B charm.

Overall, the inn was lovely. The casita was clean and had many ammenities for an extended comfortable stay. The staff was friendly. The breakfast was well prepared. The location was perfect for the purpose of our stay. I was embarrassed that I had to cause a fuss with my group and not be able to meet and dine with them.

Thank you for all your efforts to help, but I would advise those with cat allergies to stay elsewhere. It is a health issue that I do not think the owner truly understands.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank caymansilvas
EnchantedNewMexico, Owner at Casa Escondida Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2013

Overall, you seemed to enjoy your stay and we are happy for that but your "warning" to other guests regarding the fact that we have a resident B&B cat is somewhat unnecessary because we do not hide the fact that this is so. As a matter of fact, it is clearly stated on our website, as well as other sources. After all, it is through the public information regarding the resident B&B cat, that you emailed us prior to your arrival about your cat allergies. Your email seemed to be asking that we guarantee you that you will not have any contact with any cat dander during your 1-night stay with your tour group. My response to you was that I could not guarantee this. I also suggested that only you know what your level of sensitivity is and therefore, you needed to make the decision as to what was best for you. This is true for all of our guests with pet allergies. We appreciated being notified in advance of your special needs. In response to this, we gladly moved you to our suite, which is detached from the main house. On occasion, we have other guests with cat allergies as well. As you noted, our housekeeping is very good and we do use products like anti-allergen Fabreez. We have yet to have any guests who have had a problem in terms of reacting to the cat, including yourself. If there were any issues, you never made mention of it during your stay. We understand that no one property is a perfect fit for 100% of the traveling population. While it is not at all uncommon for a bed & breakfast to have a resident pet, it obviously was not a good fit for you but we did the best that we could for you during your stay. BTW - I’m the owner and I DO live on the property. We do offer FREE wi-fi for our guests. We have even recently added a wi-fi extender, so there is now wi-fi all the way down by our outdoor hot tub. However, we are located in a rural area. So there are times when our internet service is better than others. We are expecting the availability of a general internet service upgrade within the next 12 weeks. We will make it available to our guests the moment the internet company makes it available to us.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chimayo
Santa Claran Hotel Casino
Rancho Manzana
Rancho Manzana
#3 of 4 in Chimayo
Four Seasons Resort Rancho Encantado Santa Fe

Been to Casa Escondida Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!