“If you are in the area, its worth a visit.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cimarron
Express St. James Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cimarron
Reviewed 22 November 2013

This is a very old hotel that was built during the days of the Old West ... think Wyatt Earp and Buffalo Bill ... they stayed there. It was the site of a lot of gunfights.

The hotel has been refurbished and decorated in the Old West syle with a lot of old photos and paraphernalia. The rooms in the original building are not air conditioned, so if you visit during warm weather, stay in the newer annex. We stayed in the William Cody Room, # 19. The only problem with it is that it is directly over the lobby/bar area and it was a bit noisy, but the noise did not go on very late. Quieter options might be H 9, 11 or 17. H 10 and 16 might be ok, or they might be too near the kitchen. Ask before booking. Everyone who works there was very friendly.

The food in the restaurant was ok, but not inspired. There is not much to do in Cimarron, so a one night stay will be enough for most people.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RoySandlapper

Reviewed 17 November 2013

I stayed in the Zane Grey room for one night and I didn't hear any ghost productions. The next time that I will come back, I will stay next to room 18 in order to experience the real action.

The rooms are straight out of the 1880s except for the electric lighting. There's no TV either, which I liked a lot. If you want the real thing from those days, stay here. It is a 100$ per night, but you are really getting the absolute real deal. There are no bathrooms in the second story rooms. You have an old wash basin and a large pitcher, the mirror behind the basin is from those days too. The floors, furniture and dressers are all from that period, so everything is of fine wood and everything creaks. The clean, white bed sheets and the white fabric, window shades are also quite old. I slept pretty well - except for all the whiskey that I had drunk in the bar from that same period.

The bar is from the 1870s and is originally from Raton. But the ambience is real and there are still bullet holes around the ceiling. The bar serves the whiskey, tequila, gin, wine and beer the old way. The staff is nice and the food is decent for a hotel. I had the pizza and it tasted good. I also had the buffalo burger, which was tasty.

Room Tip: Choose a room next to the haunted Room 18 for the real ghost deal.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank James F
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I booked the Mary Lambert room (H17) and it is cute. The bed was very firm and whomever makes the bed can work for the military - the sheets were so tight, you could bounce a quarter off them! Aside from the vanity light not being able to turn off, the room was comfortable.

Around 1 AM, I woke up and heard a very loud THUMP (metal hitting wood sound) across the hall. This happened again around 2:30 AM. I remarked on this during checkout and heard that the family that stayed in the room next to Rm H18 heard the same things as well as pounding on the walls. Room H18 is padlocked shut and the floorboards are very creaky in the hall, so no one would be able to walk around without us hearing.

I also spoke about the strong smell of mothballs around the window area of my room and the front desk person said that they do not use mothballs. Hmmm.

The food in the restaurant was good and the staff was very helpful and extremely nice. Would I go back again? Yes, but I will book the H23 - the Waite Phillips room - one of my friends had that room and the bed was sooo comfortable. All in all, this was a good experience.

Room Tip: Lovely, historical hotel, check out the excellent taxidermy that abounds!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 November 2013 via mobile

Me and my son stayed one night at the St James recently to participate in a paranormal investigation.
Our stay was a memorable one due to the staff that made us feel more like we were staying with family and unique but comfortable accommodations. The staff, from the restaurant waitstaff to the front desk clerks and even the night security guard, who shared his freshly made pot of coffee with me, went way beyond normal customer service to make me and my son feel welcomed and like I mentioned earlier, part of a family like feeling. Everyone went out of their way to talk with us, answer any questions we had and be so genuine and friendly.
The food in the restaurant was very good, both dinner and breakfast. We were amazed the breakfast included in the room rate was made to order from the menu! What a nice touch!
We are anticipating our next visit to the St James and will now make this a regular weekender destination.
Thanks again to the St James for making our stay so much fun!
Oh, and we did experience some things of a paranormal nature I'm still trying to explain.

Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

This is a lovely old structure just chock full of history! You really can sit in the bar, hallways or lobby and imagine all the people who have called this hotel home for the night - that much is amazing.

I didn't care for the Doc Holliday room.
The bed area was crowded, the bed was uncomfortable - hard and springy. The view out the window is that of rooftop utilities for the restaurant - completely ruins he romance. Lights in the hallway shine through the transom all night.

Basically, if staying in the historical part of the hotel, you can count on "all history and no comfort."

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank COLadyRoadWarrior
Reviewed 25 September 2013

The hotel met our expectations and the staff was friendly and very helpful. The hotel was almost like a museum with all the pictures and famous people that stayed their during the "Wild West Days". You can see the bullet holes in the bar ceiling from the "old" days. We weren't able to take a formal tour on Sunday (not available on Sunday) but we were able to meander around the entire hotel on our own and do fine. The restaurant and bar were nice as well. Would definitely recommend the hotel if you are in the area.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Enjoyed late breakfast at the hotel while driving through Cimarron. Lots of colorful gunslinger, outlaw and even haunted history at this place. Watched the free 10 minute video in the adjoining hotel lobby. Food nd service were ok, however the western history was exceptional. Would like to stay overnight in the future.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cimarron
Laguna Vista Lodge
Laguna Vista Lodge
#1 of 4 in Eagle Nest
The Lodge at Angel Fire Resort
Casa del Gavilan Historic Inn
Oasis (H&K) Motel
Oasis (H&K) Motel
#2 of 2 in Springer

Been to Express St. James Hotel? Share your experiences!