“Stay clear!!!! Awful service and average food at best.”

Hotel Eklund Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 10 Restaurants in Clayton
Price range: US$7 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Brew Pub
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 31 August 2013 via mobile

mobile review
So took a chance as there are limited places to eat in town. Seated in a reasonable time by a pleasant older lady. Then the wait began. After being passed multiple times by our waitress and waiting for her to get done getting sample after sample of beer for the neighboring table we finally got to ask for water. We placed our orders and went back to being ignored by Alicia. I finally had to ask a server going off shift to get me a refill and the straw I had originally asked for. Mind you the seated area was very compact and said waitress walked back and forth next to our table at least 20 times without acknowledging us or apologizing for the delay of the food. Apparently she was too busy flirting (hoping for a better tip) with the table diagonal from us. She should definately not take up acting or poker. Alisha made it clear she couldn't handle multiple tables and was annoyed when a new table came in. One lady near us finally got up and got her own tea. As for the food. The chile rellanos were very good. Rice and beans bland and boring. Overall I'd suggest getting it to go if you must try it.

1  Thank Okmedic07
JVBarras, Owner at Hotel Eklund Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2013

Dear Okmedic:
Firstly, thank you for your business, even if your experience was less than satisfactory. I read your review and just needed to add some information to present to the readers of your review the real situation when you dined with us last Friday night. You came in on the first evening of our busy Labor Day weekend, and we had live entertainment, and a packed house for all three dining venues we had in operation in addition to being understaffed from the start due to a high school football game that took some of my staff. Those were the reasons for the wait you mentioned, which resulted in less than stellar service-Alesha is usually one of our shining stars, and handily takes care of her guests. But it takes an entire team to successfully implement service, and I will take your feedback to heart and staff up accordingly in anticipation of a busy mealtime.

As for your meal, we do have very good chile rellenos. Thank you for saying so. We'll work on the rice and beans.

Jeannette Vigil Barras
Owner/Manager

Reviewed 3 August 2013

Food that tasted like army field rations in a place that used to be quite good. Slow staff that recommended dessert that they were out of so brought a substitute without even asking, and then proceeded to charge us for the dessert that we did not get. No drink refill of a check to see if everything was as we ordered. We would have been better off eating out of a vending machine.

1  Thank David D
JVBarras, Owner at Hotel Eklund Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2013

Dear Mr D:

I do apologize that we were out of the requested dessert on the day of your visit. Our desserts, as well as our entire menu, are very popular and delicious, and we do run out of things on occasion. Any good restaurant does! We usually ask first before recommending a substitution when we are out of an item, so I thank you for your feedback about getting a dessert not requested. I will bring it to the attention of our servers. Based your review, it appears that you were definitely in need of something sweet!

Reviewed 2 August 2013

The hotel lobby was interesting with its antique furnishings and decor. The bar appeared original, and the beer selection (I believe) featured several offerings from New Mexico breweries. The food was good and filling.

Reviewed 14 July 2013

Lunch was pretty good, basic American dinner type food. Egg salad sandwich, BLT, SALADS. The service was good, but slow...

JVBarras, Owner at Hotel Eklund Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Dear Jerry C:
You must have been to a different Eklund, as your review states some products that we don't sell at all. We at Hotel Eklund do not serve egg salad sandwiches, and only as an occasional special, do we serve BLT sandwiches. But you really should try Hotel Eklund! You may find many delicious entrees from which to choose!

Hotel Eklund

Reviewed 14 July 2013

Just what we needed after a long day. The restaurant is located in the main lobby of the Historic Hotel Eklund. Rustic décor and fun mix of locals and travelers. Only two waitresses, but both working their tails off and very attentive (if I recall correctly, ours was named Emily). Wide variety of menu choices. I had ordered the filet mignon which was overcooked. When I mentioned it to our waitress, she fell all over herself to make it right. I had a new piece of filet within a short time, cooked to perfection and the taste was excellent. Emily stayed while I cut into it to make sure it was to my liking. Try the garden salad with the grilled salmon (also very tasty). Other patrons seemed to be very happy with their meals as well during our visit here. Will definitely be back when through town. Service like this is hard to find.

JVBarras, Owner at Hotel Eklund Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2013

Dear On the Go:

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. We have many happy customers who have experienced our wonderful food and service who leave very satisfied with both. It is even more rewarding when we read a good review from a guest-it goes a long way toward encouraging us to keep doing our level best everyday.

We are very glad that you did let Emily know about your steak right away, so that something could be done to get you the perfect filet. Done right, they are absolutely delicious. And we have to agree with you-she is a terrific server!

Please come back and enjoy our restaurant, and give our hotel a try too! We offer a very nice lodging option that the chain hotels cannot even touch. Ask for the balcony room! You can watch traffic go by on Main Street.

Thank you again!