“Unique & charming”

The Lodge Resort and Spa
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Cloudcroft
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Incredible views, delicious food....and probably the best massage I've ever had by Jim! Our only complaint was the size of our room/bathroom. We could not both walk around the bed at the same time & had little space to sit our luggage. The room also could use a little updating. But this a beautiful historic gem that needs to be visited!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PAwino
There are newer reviews for The Lodge Resort and Spa

Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

Fantastic site, people, food, climate... This place was a much needed haven after a horrible experience at la Paloma hot springs in TorC. The grounds are gorgeous, the cool mountain breeze is heavenly and the fudge is to die for!

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Akbass
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

Tucked in the forest, the Lodge still warms my heart each time I top the hill and enter the parking area. The views are magnificent and the mountain air reminds me of why I came. While the Lodge is older, it retains its charm. It has no reason to apologize. Rebecca's is wonderful dining, especially after an afternoon at the spa. The staff is uber friendly and if you introduce yourself, will soon call you by name. While I enjoy the mountain village of Cloudcroft, I go to the area for the Lodge --- and hope to continue to do so for years to come.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank JohnandSylviaMc
Reviewed 16 June 2014

No elevator so if you cant climb stairs ask for ground floor. Room on 3rd flr was small but had a great view. Air condition vent was directly above bed blowing cold air - we told front desk so hopefully they will fix it. Food was good. Don't miss Sunday brunch and also a couples massage by Jim/Robin!

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank SueElP
Reviewed 13 June 2014

The lodge was beautiful and the staff wonderful. They went out of their way to accommodate us.
The rooms, while beautifully appointed, are very small. Beds very comfortable.
The restaurant, Rebecca's, was wonderful. Supper a bit pricey but not for the quality of food, I ordered the rack of lamb and was the best I've ever had.
Breakfast there was excellent and reasonably priced .

Room Tip: Look at the rooms and request larger one if preferred. We were very surprised at the small size but...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Their payment policy is that you pay 100% of the bill up front, when you make the reservation and, if you cancel, you do not get your money back. I was told they leave it on the books for you so that you can rearrange a stay at another time. Nice way of saying money up front, no refunds.

My credit card was charged 3 times for the entire stay. It took me calling repeatedly and about 6 hours to speak to something besides an answering machine. Not at all responsive to customer needs.

The room was small and a bit cramped but we were mostly using the room as a place to sleep and bathe so…no big deal.

We stayed the first 3 nights without any serious issues. On the fourth night around 8 PM (bedtime for us), we started hearing whooping, shouting, raised voices, and very loud music. My husband called the desk and was informed that it was the local Project Graduation (sober celebrating for high school graduates) Party. The party was outside at the edge of the parking lot about 3-4 doors down from us.

The desk attendant told my husband it was only for a 'few' hours, when he asked how long, he was told until midnight. That is late for people who get up between 3 & 4 AM. My husband called again and asked to speak to the manager (There had to be some solution, right?) He was told the Manager on duty was not available because she was tending bar. (Staffing issues?)

We waited a few minutes. I called asking to speak to the manager again (it is now pushing 9PM.) When she finally came to the telephone, she stated all the appropriate things; there were no other rooms except those near the party, she would start calling some local condominiums, and ask the kids to hold it down. I told her that was not fair to the kids; they will only graduate high school once in their lives. I did not want their night messed up, too, just because someone at The Lodge had made a bone head decision. After hanging up with her, my husband and I talked a bit and decided we were leaving. I called the desk told them we were leaving.

The closest place, going in the direction we were headed next, was about 90 miles away in Artesia, NM. We checked in there at about 11:00PM MST. For this we paid an addition $130.00

It is my guess that whoever made the decision to book us and at least one other couple at the Graduation Party venue thought we would just tolerate the noise because there are no other options in Cloudcroft.

I was told by the desk clerk on duty when we left that we would receive some kind of refund. We have been home 2 & 1/2 weeks without hearing anything from anyone at The Lodge.

Room Tip: Don't stay there. Try one of the cabins or condos in Cloudcroft
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cyndie A. S
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Beautifully decorated with antiques, and equipped with the legend of its ghost "Rebecca", the Lodge is a relaxing place. They gave us an upgrade in the retreat suites, a sweet treat for us. After our 1 night there, we wished we had booked a longer stay, but we needed to be on our way. Our "suite" was a several room abode complete with a quiet porch, small refrigerator, coffee maker, and sink in the "living room" that also had a gas fireplace. The bedroom had a large canopy bed. And outside our door was a common area that had a small kitchen area and entertainment space, likely used for groups staying together (for retreats, I suppose). It was a short walk up to the main hotel where we could wander the halls looking at old photos and learn the history of Cloudcroft and the origins of the lodge. Although it could have used a bit of a facelift with furnishings and finishings, the comfortableness outweighed any of that. We had a jacuzzi in the bathroom, which we enjoyed, and double sinks (something I rarely see in hotel rooms), everything was in fine working order, and, altogether, we had a wonderful and relaxing stay at the Lodge.

Room Tip: not sure why we received an upgrade, perhaps they were just overbooked in the regular rooms and we g...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cloudcroft
Inn of the Mountain Gods Resort & Casino
Hampton Inn Alamogordo
#3 of 13 in Alamogordo
Magnuson Hotel and Suites Alamogordo
Fairfield Inn & Suites Alamogordo

Been to The Lodge Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!