“They donot keep this place serviceable.”

Alta Vista Chalet Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cloudcroft
Alta Vista Chalet Motel
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Cloudcroft
Reviewed 20 July 2013 via mobile

The room stinks of smoke. There is a sign over the toilet telling you to use the trashcan to fill water into the pot to flush. There are 6 rooms & parking for about 10 vehicles but for some reason there are over 20 vehicles parked here, double parked into the street. We had to park next door at the reastruant. We drove arpund & found lots of rentals vacant. Next time we will rent them instead.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Buckhunter1
There are newer reviews for Alta Vista Chalet Motel

Reviewed 10 July 2013 via mobile

Thank goodness for the alta vista motel. I was in town for work and needed an inexpensive place to stay. I stay in lots of off the beaten path mom and pop motels. All I need is a clean comfortable room. A few perks like refrig micro and ambiance are always nice. When I made plans to stay in cloudcroft I hit the Internet and called the first place I found--big mistake! I got a room at the aspen motel. It did not have a door with a secure lock, there was big bunches of gross long black hair in the shower, the beds sagged, and the refrig smelled like a dead animal. I left and wet next door to the alta. glad I did. The lady that runs it is super nice and willing to go out of her way to help me out. The room was just what I needed clean and comfortable. The bed was nice and flat and firm and comfy. The room was clean. It even had a refrigerator microwave and if all thins a stone fireplace. The cost was much less than the aspen. I am so glad I found this place. I also had a good dinner next door at big daddy's. the aspen claims to have a restaurant next door but they don't. It's now a mouse lodge. High praise for alta vista chalet motel.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Cantfinda
Reviewed 12 April 2013

I reserved a room for several nights during hunting season. I was lucky enough to get a permit for deer that hadn't been claimed in the first drawing, and I felt good about the weather, which was cold and a bit snowy. I called to let the owner know what time I'd be arriving, and she told me to call when I got in and someone would meet me in the office — which is just what happened.

The room I was given had four double beds crammed into it and a reasonably-sized bath area with a tiny, cantankerous shower. The toilet had a sign asking guests to hold the handle down during flush due to low pressure. The one time I forgot this advice was interesting but not catastrophic. There was an old, old tube-type television with approximately four grainy channels, a telephone, a table lamp, and that was about it.

The heat was hard to manage and maintain, but I slept in my long johns anyway so it would be easy to crawl out pre-dawn to hunt. The diner/cafe-style restaurant next door, also owned by the same folks, serves good ol' greasy-spoon food and friendly conversation. It is frequented by the local constabulary (sheriff, state, and Cloudcroft cops), and there's a more upscale but still very relaxed bistro down the road about half a mile, so finding an assortment of food is not difficult. Actual shopping happens 30 minutes (and about 6,000 vertical feet) away in Alamogordo.

As a place to hang my hat and leave stuff I didn't want to haul to my hunting sites, it worked out fine. The drive to and from Alamogordo, or Ruidoso, would have seriously eaten into my hunting time, so I'd say if you read these reviews you'll get a pretty good idea of what to expect and it might just work for you too.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Randy B
Reviewed 20 June 2012 via mobile

Checked in late at 12:00 I under stand that is a bit late but no right for the lady to be rude she was bothered that we cheked in at this time. Next morning at check out time she was standind by the room talking on the phone telling who ever she was on the phone with rude remarks about us. Then he just stood therewat hing us as we packed our things over allshe was quit rude! Now on to the room the blankets were from what looked like from the 60s old and out dated then the ceilings were old and stained the bathroom was old and slight smell of mold the shower was small like a coffin. Then to top it off there was no air conditioning over all the whole experience was awful and I would not recommend this place to any one.

• Stayed: June 2012
4  Thank lenagriego
sunshinegirl321, Owner at Alta Vista Chalet Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2012

It is true that it was late at night when they came &asked for prices. Then talked about it for 10 to 15 minutes before returning to rent room. There were 7 or 8 & they wanted to all stay together so I put them in a large room with 4beds. I was not rude to them. I am used to getting up at all hours to rent rooms, as I am the only motel that will answer the door late at night and I am very happy to accommodate travelers at any time of the day or night. This room had just recently been remodeled with new flooring in the bathroom, new vanity & sink, new faucets & new paint. Blankets were also new. They had no complaints the next morning until I noticed the man had 2 of my pillows with speciality cases under his arm about to load them into his van. I told him "sir I believe those are my pillows". He immediately returned them to the room and proceed to finish loading the vehicle while I watched. I did go into the room where I found a sheet & blanket that didn't belong to me and took them outside & gave them to the lady. They all said "thank you, we had a nice time".
However, they did leave a real mess, but I guess with that many people in one room for only 11hours and they did leave 20 minutes late, it is to be expected.

Reviewed 25 August 2009

If you're not particular about accomodations and a roof is all you need over your head, this place is one of the few in town unless the old Alpine Motel has reopened. If you're looking for the plushness and style and comforts of modern "chain" motels, the nearest ones are in Alamogordo, which is where we'll stay next time.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Texastraveler56
A TripAdvisor Member
El Paso, TX
Reviewed 17 May 2003

I have spent numerous nights/weekends at the Alta Vista. Besides the property having a personality, the Young lady (Camy) is a real charmer. She & her whole family will do whatever it takes to make your stay comfortable. I will MOST certainly make return visits!!!! Keep up the good work, young lady!!!

13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cloudcroft
Cloudcroft Hotel
#2 of 13 in Alamogordo
Classic Inn Motel
Classic Inn Motel
#10 of 13 in Alamogordo

Been to Alta Vista Chalet Motel? Share your experiences!