“Glad to have found it”

Summit Inn
Summit Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Cloudcroft B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 April 2009

My family was impressed upon entering our cabin/cottage at the Summit Inn. The furnishings are nothing fancy, but they are relatively new and comfortable. The kitchen is small but serviceable with pots/pans and dishes. (We could have used a colander/strainer).

The owner is friendly and helpful. Upon entering the office, I was struck with a musty smell that made me worry about the cabins. However, I suspect the owner has a pet or some such, because the smell was nowhere in the cabin. Rather, the cabin smelled of wood smoke from the fireplace which we enjoyed that crisp spring evening.

We came from a Marriott property that was fine, but it was the same price as our cabin, and my family unanimously agreed they preferred the Summit Inn cabin. If the weather had been warmer, we might have extended our stay here and canceled our other plans because we appreciated the Summit Inn so much.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 15 May 2008

I am not entirely sure how the inn claims to be Cloudcrofts finest establishement (as their website claims). I hated it. I spent $85 for one night in a room that needed a desperate deep cleaning. The carpets were gross and looked like they had not been cleaned in about 20 years. The toilet did not work and obviously had not been flushed from the previous occupant. I understand it is an old building, but you shouldn't be walking on a slant from the bedroom into to the living room. The builing itself is in dire need of an upgrade.

The staff is nice enough and very informative. He answered all of our questions about the area. I enjoyed my time in Cloudcroft and will definetly go back. But I will probably spend the extra money to stay at the Lodge.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
4  Thank carrclan05
Reviewed 26 August 2007

We stayed 5 nights at the Summit and loved it! True, it is older, and is not air-conditioned, but who needs A/C at 9000 feet! The owner is very friendly and accommodating and the rooms are clean and comfortable, with nice beds, a small built-in kitchen, clean bathroom, and shower (no tub) and big windows to let in those great high mountain breezes...It is very convenient to downtown Cloudcroft, but not noisy at night. We'll be staying there again, for sure!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank Zylon R
Reviewed 18 July 2007

Stayed two nights at the Summit Inn. Not sure why anyone would stay two nights in Cloudcroft. The Inn is rather old property and is OK for the price...but the carpets are in need of deep cleaning. Very dusty due to open windows (no AC).

Stayed: July 2007
1  Thank SilverCreekFarm
Reviewed 12 May 2007

Nice place, clean, easy to get to and very close to the restaurants in the village of Cloudcroft. It was very nice having a mini-fridge in the room and it was a great night's rest.

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank willgmac
Reviewed 19 September 2005

Unlike the previous review of this place, I would strongly suggest checking into a different hotel or cabin. We paid a hundred bucks for a cabin. The "cabin" we had was actually a duplex apartment, that I may have considered in college. We were right off the main street, which might be convenient for some people, but for us the constant noise and Saturday night crowd was too much. We brought steaks to cook on the advertised BBQ pit, but it was full of trash and water. After cleaning them out, I covered the grates with foil (because of the rust) just to cook. Beds were hard, pillows flat and no non-smoking room option. If you consider going to Cloudcroft as an outdoor getaway and that you should be "roughing it," then stay here.

• Stayed: September 2005
5  Thank azengebretsons
A TripAdvisor Member
El Paso, Texas
Reviewed 18 August 2003

My husband and I have stayed with the folks at the Summit Inn, Cloudcroft, N.M. for over 12 years. The rooms are always clean, fresh and the refrigerator, sink, and burners within the room became invaluable for that first cup of coffee in the morning! The hotel is within walking distance to practically every place you may want to visit. The Summit Inn is one of the few hotels that allowed me to bring my children (2 Scottish Terriers) without a major deposit or hassle. Whether we are cross-country skiing in the winter, or hiking and fishing in the summer months, our stay at the Summit Inn has always been reasonable, memorable and hassle-free. D.D. Rodiguez.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cloudcroft
Inn of the Mountain Gods Resort & Casino
#2 of 13 in Alamogordo
White Sands Motel
White Sands Motel
#1 of 13 in Alamogordo

Been to Summit Inn? Share your experiences!