“Bad hotel but it's your only option”

Wildhorse Casino & Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dulce
Austin, Texas
“Bad hotel but it's your only option”
Reviewed 25 April 2011

Have stayed in this hotel every year for the last 15 years while hunting on the reservation. The hotel did go through a renovation a few years back and does look much better that's about the only good thing I can say about it.

All of the rooms that I've stayed in reek of smoke even if they're labeled non-smoking and the beds are pretty stiff.

If you want to eat I would recommend driving about 20 miles east to the next town for food. The service and food anywhere in Dulce is pretty bad. If you manage to swallow whatever stuff they put in front of you you'll generally end up paying to much for what it is... that is if your stomach hasn't decided to eat itself because it took them an hour and a half to bring you your food. Would suggest you save yourself the trouble and money, just walk to the grocery store across the street and buy yourself a loaf of bread and a bunch of lunch meat.

If you feel like gambling I hope you like 30 different kinds of electronic slot machines as that's all they have in the casino there in the hotel.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
7 Thank RichieUT

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Tucson
Reviewed 9 December 2010

I am here on business and since it is the only hotel in the area I must suffer through the constant smell of cigarette smoke. It is burning my eyes and and stuffing up my nose even though I am in a non smoking room. There is a casino that is part of the hotel and they leave the doors open to the casino.....I just asked them if they could shut them...they said they could....I have been keeping a wet towel along the bottom of my door to try to keep the smoke out but it doesn't work. The walls and ceilings are also thin. I could hear the guy in the room next to me snoring last night.
Besides that I'm sure it would be a nice hotel. I rated the hotel poor on cleanliness because I consider cigarette smoke a dirty pollutant.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Desertroads

Travellers are raving about these Dulce hotels

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 17 July 2010

Stayed during the weekend of July 3. There is a bar located next to the hotel and they had a band playing....we could heard the band until 2AM!!! Did not have a good night's sleep. The lighting in the parking is poor, was concerned about my vehicle due people from the bar being outside. Our first room was not really clean. Their were stains on the the bedspread and hair on the pillows which indicated the linings were not changed. I notified the front desk and they were quick to change our rooms and apoligized tremendously. The second room was still not clean up to best western standards. This is the only place to stay in the area, wish they would clean their act up!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HappyTraveler505
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 31 May 2010

I stayed here the night before riding the train from Chama. Check-in was prompt, and the room was in great condition. The bed was comfortable with lots of pillows. Coffee was provided in the room.

The only minor negative was the public areas did smell of cigarette smoke, probably due to the attached casino which allows smoking.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank Alansh
Camp Verde, Arizona
Reviewed 13 July 2009

The room was very clean, very comfortable. Service was friendy and helpful. Food in the restaurant was pretty good too. Overall great stay.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank lostalbatross
Edinburgh
Reviewed 22 November 2007

This place may have been given an overhaul but there's more to a decent hotel than the building. We spent one night here and with one exception (who came from another state) the staff attitude was terrible. We were given a smoking room after we had asked for a non-smoking room. When we checked-out, the receptionist just wondered off as we stood there (returning five minutes later and making a personal call before speaking to us). Breakfast in the near-empty modernised café took an hour to reach us. As we waited for what proved to be a cold, greasy mess cooked in something tasting like engine oil, the waitress entertained us with excuses such as, "Poached eggs take a long time". Really? Maybe they were special heat-proof eggs because the problem didn't seem to affect the five separate groups of locals who all arrived after us but got served first. At one point I'm sure I heard someone muttering about "payback". This was all the more annoying because we were nothing but polite to everyone the entire time that we were there.

The 'casino' itself is largely just a collection of slot machines apparently there to amuse zombified elderly folk who's chain-smoking habits result the entire hotel being pervaded by the stench of stale tobacco. The bar closed early.

I don't often feel the need to warn people about hotels but the Jicarilla Inn should be avoided like the plague. The attitude is unpleasant bordering on hostile. The best thing about this stay was the upgraded road leading away.

• Liked — large rooms
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
5 Thank Jim9
Fairfax, California
Reviewed 3 August 2007

I stayed at this hotel about 5 ago and it was average to not so great.

However, they've recently completed renovations and I am very impressed! The rooms have nice touches such as tinwork and the room decor (bedding, furniture, color scheme) has vastly improved. Everything is very fresh and new. Beds were comfortable, there is authentic Indian artwork on the walls, and the staff was friendly and helpful. It's right in the middle of town and you don't even have to leave the building to go to the new Wild Horse Casino.

The relocated Arts and Crafts Museum, which features very reasonably priced authentic artwork, is within walking distance as are most of the Tribal buildings.

I'd stay here again. It's one of the nicer Best Western's I've stayed in yet.

Stayed June 2007
4 Thank Thea Y
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dulce
Chama River Bend Lodge
#4 of 14 in Pagosa Springs
Econo Lodge - Pagosa Springs
Econo Lodge - Pagosa Springs
#5 of 14 in Pagosa Springs

Been to Wildhorse Casino & Hotel? Share your experiences!