“Friendly staff”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours
Reviewed 31 May 2014

I enjoyed my early lunch in this colourful welcoming restaurant. The food was decent but fell short of the "best New Mexican food in town" that I expected.

There are newer reviews for Orlando's New Mexican Cafe

Reviewed 29 May 2014

On my recent visit to Taos, I decided to go to Orlando's for dinner. On the night that I ate at this restaurant, I was warmly greeted by the hostess and brought to my table. For my main meal, I ordered the shrimp enchilada. The enchilada was delicious. Inside the enchilada was chopped shrimp, pinto beans, melted cheese, red onion, tomato, and green chiles. On the top of the enchilada was melted cheese, with green chilies and 6 sliced in half shrimp. This meal was exceptionally tasty and very satisfying. On the side of my plate was posole which I never had before. I found the posole to be a flavorful accompaniment to my meal. For dessert, I tried the frozen avocado pie which was smooth, creamy and flavorful. The service at Orlando's was excellent, the ambience inside was nice with dried chile pepper bunches hanging down, interesting figurines on shelves, nice paintings, star lights hanging from the ceiling and nice Mexican music playing in the background. I found this restaurant to be very comfortable and the people that worked here were very pleasant. I most definitely will return to Orlando's on my next visit to Taos.

1  Thank maloney1969
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Solid entree, lively atmosphere, great patio - but nothing to get overly excited about.

My wife and I spent 4 days in Taos, NM and had lunch at Orlando's. The margarita was just plain yuk...the beans were not that good, the entree itself and the salsa were the best part.

Worth going, but not A+ as many consider.

1  Thank TeleSki7
Reviewed 27 May 2014

For our first meal in New Mexico, we went to the highly recommended and well-reviewed Orlando's. It was a busy night and we had no reservations.We were about to turn away in defeat, but a lovely young hostess snared us back and took us directly to a small table on the enclosed patio.Awesome first impression.

Inexperienced with the traditional green, red, & Caribe chili sauces, we asked our waiter a few questions. He happily rattled through his descriptions of the sauces and their respective heat levels. After he left the table we looked at each other, still puzzled. "What did he say? Which one is the hottest?" We were still muddled, and this was not because our waiter spoke with an accent, he just seemed a bit muddled himself.

I ordered Los Colores, 3 blue corn enchiladas with chicken, beef, and cheese, respectively, and each topped with a different one of the 3 sauces. To be honest, I could barely tell the difference between the red and the Caribe sauces, except the Caribe had a slightly burnt chili flavor which I didn't care for. It was quite hot and looked more like what I know as mole, but did not taste at all like mole. This was not a fair appraisal of the three sauces, since each enchilada was different in it's own right, although, I was hard pressed to figure out which was which under all that sauce. The side dish of posole was the best part of the meal.

My companion's meal was similarly unremarkable. Be forewarned: Orlando's serves only wine and beer. That is, no real margarita's, only the dummied down version of winerita's. Water is the best choice.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

This is our must-stop restaurant on trips south from Colorado. The food is delicious with true New Mexico flavors. The service is great and although it is sort of a little hole-in-the-wall place right off the highway it has great ambience. The patio is lovely if the weather is fine. We sometimes eat lunch AND dinner there as it is so good and prices are reasonable.