“Excellent Place”

Santa Claran Hotel Casino
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Espanola
Reviewed 12 June 2013

I would highly recommend the Santa Claran because the front desk personnel are very friendly and helpful. Our room was on the 4th floor with a good view of the mtns. Everything was spotless with a lot of comfort. Bed was just right, lighting great, bathroom was spaceous and the furnishing were pleasent. Only thing missing was a laundry bag. Didn't do well at the casino but enjoyed ourselves none the less.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank james s
Juan Carlos U, General Manager at Santa Claran Hotel Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2013

Dear Jim

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are very pleased to find out that you felt our accommodations Spotless and with a lot of comfort but most important that our staff was Friendly and Helpful. I will take into consideration adding a laundry bag even though the service is not provided yet.

I am so sorry to hear that you didn't do well at the casino, perhaps on your next visit you will do better.

Looking forward to have you with us in the near future.

Reviewed 9 June 2013

The town of Espanola leaves a lot to be desired which makes the Santa Claran Hotel a diamond in the rough. The hotel was very clean, quiet, and the front desk staff was friendly. The room was large and spacious with large spanish-style wooden doors, a large bathroom with glass doors on the shower, and soft lighting that blended in well with the Spanish motif. There was a Stabuck's in the lobby which was also a plus. The bed and linens were also vey nice. Aside from a door closing in the hallway once in a while, we never heard a peep from any other rooms. The one thing that was outdated was that while the rooms have free internet, it's only free wired internet. Most electronics these days are made for wireless internet. The hotel should update this or make it very clear in he amenities on the website that wireless internet is only available in the lobby. If I ever find myself having to spend the night in Espanola again, I will definitely stay here. It looked like the nicest hotel in the town and was a great value or what I paid.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Mary R
Juan Carlos U, General Manager at Santa Claran Hotel Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2013

Dear Mary

Thank you very much for your review and rating. I am glad to learn that you loved your experience with us. The feedback provided is crucial to achieve our goal of total guest satisfaction. I would like to share that as a product of your review we met with our IT Director and we are already looking into possible solutions for this opportunity.

Our mission is based on the pueblo's cultural traits of warmth, friendship and hospitality while providing memorable "experiences" for our guest and I am glad to learn we achieved that with you.

Please come back soon, We will be pleased to have you with us again in the near future.

Reviewed 7 May 2013

Espanola has charm and at times gives the traveler the impression that the hustle and bustle of everyday life have managed to pass it by. And so your thought of a modern, updated casino hotel may not really click in your mind. But viola', welcome to Santa Claran Hotel. Very nice rooms and bathrooms, large by any standard and if fortunate a view of a beautiful mountain range.
Accomodations are Native American themed and hospitality is definitely open and honest New Mexican.
Absolutely a visit recommended if you are in sleepy Espanola.

Room Tip: Ask for view of mountains when making reservations.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Louisjuly20

Dear Louisjuly

Thank you very much for your review and rating. I am glad to learn that you loved your experience with us. I really enjoyed your review. Here at the Santa Claran Hotel our mission is based on the pueblo's cultural traits of warmth, friendship and hospitality. We take pride in creating "experiences" for our guest and I am glad to learn we achieved that with you.

Reviewed 19 February 2013

This is a very beautiful hotel and actually my second time staying there. The staff this stay was way friendlier than the first time. The rooms were comfortable, clean and we had an end room, so it was nice and quiet. The hallways smell of smoke, which is understandable due to it being connected to the casino, but they should do something about the ventalation. It is one of the better hotels in Espanola, NM.

Room Tip: Rooms at the end of hallway are quieter.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank June V
Juan Carlos U, General Manager at Santa Claran Hotel Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2013

Dear June V

Thank you for choosing Santa Claran Hotel Casino for your recent visit to Española!

I am honored you took some of your valuable time to write you experience with us. Your observations regarding the smell of smoke in the hallways are very much appreciated as they help us to improve the service and facilities to better serve you.

I hope you give us the opportunity to serve you again in the near future and continue to enjoy the understated elegance & warming hospitality of the Pueblo!

Reviewed 28 January 2013

This hotel is gourgeous. The staff is great and the casino that is attached to it makes it better. I was not aware of this great hotel. They also are partners of Black Mesa Golf Course. The course is challenging but amaizing at the same time! If you are planning a visit to Santa Fe, or you are in transit you need to stop.

Room Tip: the higher the better.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Juan Carlos U, General Manager at Santa Claran Hotel Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2013

Dear Bambalan

Thank you for choosing Santa Claran Hotel Casino for your recent business visit to Española!
I am honored to learn of your kind comments regarding the property and staff and I must agree with you, the Santa Claran Hotel and Casino is a gem. Every detail of this breathtaking property has an inspiration and I’m delighted you enjoyed them.

I will share your comments with all, including with our partners at Black Mesa Golf course. On your next visit, take some time to enjoy another of our inspiring partners, Puye Cliffs Dwellings, a place that is truly between heaven and earth.

Reviewed 14 November 2012

This is a beautiful property, one of the nicest hotels in the area. The front desk staff was very kind and friendly. The Starbuck's in the lobby is convenient. The beds are comfortable. AC/heat system is quiet....not a window unit like many hotels. This is my second visit to The Santa Claran. I have stayed there a total of about 3 weeks this year. The hallways do smell like smoke due to the hotel being connected to the casino which allows smoking. There is a laundry for guests, but the washer was out of order for days. It was windy during our stay which apparently effected TV reception as our digital signal would break up constantly. Some shows were impossible to follow as the signal would stop for 5 to 10 seconds at a time constantly. Our room was on the back side of the second floor and any possible decent view of the Rio Grande was blocked by what appeared to be a useless decorative wall. Given the amount of business our company has given The Santa Claran this past year, I would not have expected the room with the blocked view.The wireless internet is sporadic and requires reconnecting constantly. The room was not vacuumed when it was cleaned during our 4 day stay. My first visit to the Santa Claran was better than this most recent stay. I would have to consider other hotels in the area on any future visit.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Dan S
Juan Carlos U, General Manager at Santa Claran Hotel Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 23 November 2012

Dear Dan S

First of all I want to thank you for your kind comments regarding our property, services and the amenities that we proudly provide.

I am discouraged to learn that your recent experience with us fell short of your expectations from your previous stays. I value your comments regarding room location, housekeeping services and other observations as they are vital feedback to improve the services and amenities to better serve you. New procedures are in place to avoid similar situations to affect other guests and of course yourself on your next visit

I hope this experience does not deter your from returning and give us the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Reviewed 23 October 2012

We stayed at this hotel, as a stopover on a trip. We weren't interested in the casino part, but just the accomodations. The rooms are very nice, luxury-level bathrooms and bedding. There was no smoking in the hotel rooms, but that didn't make any difference. Any time a person walked down the hallway from the casino, they brought the intensive smoke from the casino into the hotel with them. Consequently, the smoke seeps into the rooms under the doors and every time the door is opened. I would not recommend and will not return.

Room Tip: No room will be without smoke.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Doughgirl81
Juan Carlos U, General Manager at Santa Claran Hotel Casino, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2012

Dear Doughgirl81

First of all I want to thank you for taking some of your valuable time to write your comments regarding your stay.

I took the opportunity to read your review and I am disappointed to learn your experience fell short of a perfect rating. We take comments to heart, and yours will help us improve the services, facilities and amenities we provide every day.

Warm regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Espanola
Cities of Gold Casino Hotel
Santa Fe Sage Inn
#29 of 60 in Santa Fe
Ohkay Casino Resort Hotel
Ohkay Casino Resort Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ohkay Owingeh (San Juan Pueblo)

Been to Santa Claran Hotel Casino? Share your experiences!