“Hotel employees stole items from my room”

Santa Claran Hotel Casino
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Espanola
Las Cruces, New Mexico
“Hotel employees stole items from my room”
Reviewed 15 November 2013

I stayed at this establishment for 3 nights. Every day I left the do not disturb sign on my door as I did not want maid service. My final morning I wake up and begin getting ready to discover that many of personal items are missing including an expensive moisturizer, makeup, and lipstick. I thought I was crazy at first and started looking through everything. I then realized my MP3 player was gone. I searched the room top to bottom. When I checked out I told the front desk and they really didn't care they only said they would let the manager know. They didn't even ask me for a phone number for the manager to contact me or let me know if they somehow locate anything. They didn't even write down what happened nor what items I stated were missing. It made me feel that this must be a norm because there wasn't even a shocked reaction from the front desk. I guess the expectation is that I should pack up my suitcase every day and keep it in my vehicle as they are not responsible for stolen items. I will never stay here again. I am disgusted that I didn't even receive any empathy only apathy.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank anglbbyloca
Juan Carlos U, General Manager at Santa Claran Hotel Casino, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Dear Ms. Anglbbyloca

Due to the nature of the accusation I am not allowed to get into specific. I sincerely apologize for not been able to exceed your expectations this time. I am just curious why you did not request to talk to me and or call the police. I tried to contact you with no luck. Feel free to reach out at your convenience at 505-367-4900

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Johnstown, Colorado
Reviewed 8 November 2013

We just returned from a two night stay at the Santa Claran in Espinola NM. Can't say enough good things about this place. The rooms are very nice and clean, the staff, both at the hotel (Danielle) and the casino, was very friendly and accommodating, the cafe served good, reasonably priced food in a timely manner, the slots were fairly loose, and the bartenders were personable! Couldn't ask for a better experience, much better than our night at the Buffalo Thunder down the road! Call the hotel for reservations as their website seems to tack on extra nonexisting fees which originally scared us away from this property. Only suggestion I could make would be for better lighting in the bathroom. We loved the Santa Claran and it's staff and will certainly make a return visit. Highly recommended!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Juan Carlos U, General Manager at Santa Claran Hotel Casino, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Dear Betty H.

Thank you for taking the time to write this review from my property. I am glad you enjoy your visit and more pleased to know that Daniella made an impact on you. We are currently searching for options in terms of a more bright lights for the bathroom. I hope that for your next visit we have that solve. Also we took a look at our website and fixed the wording in the charges. We will be soon rolling out a new website more friendly user as well.

Here at the Santa Claran we take a lot of pride in what kind of experience we are providing and we thank you for the bottom of our hearths for letting us know that we are heading into the right direction. SEE YOU SOON!!!
Colorado
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I booked 4 rooms for a weekend stay for/with my parents and sisters. We were not disappointed from the moment we checked in -- to the moment we left. We've stayed at Buffalo Thunder near Santa Fe and have been very disappointed in those accommodations, so for this excursion, we decided to try the Santa Claran. The staff was simply professional, personable and accommodating. The rooms were exceptionally clean and nice. Granted it wasn't peak season, but we didn't have a noise issue or rowdy guests to deal with. The casino restaurant provided good experiences for both breakfast and dinner. They had no problem seating 8 of us. The food and prices were average but better than most casino restaurants. The casino was nice to play in, though smokey at times.

Traveling with my elderly parents and a variety of palates (2 vegans in the group) can be a challenge in locating an ideal set of accommodations. We had such an enjoyable time that we hope to go again in spring. Book your room over the phone vs through the options given on TripAdvisor (sorry TA). According to the online options, there were no available rooms for the weekend we were trying to book. We got great rates as well.

I highly recommend this destination and hotel/casino.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Juan Carlos U, General Manager at Santa Claran Hotel Casino, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Dear TrujiTravelers:

Thank you for taking the time to write this great review about our property. Here at the Santa Claran We take a lot of pride in the level of services we provide to our guests. I am glad to learn that we were able to achieved this with you during your stay.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for this honest recap of your experience with us. I will personally be looking forward to your next visit to be able to meet you and thank you then.
thompsons station
Reviewed 2 November 2013

I didn't think while traveling around New Mexico on vacation that we would actually stay at a Casino Hotel, but after reading the TripAdvisor reviews it seemed like in Espanola this was the place. I'd say it was a good call. The place is really really nice! Room was great. Bed was great. Only issue was, we were in room 617, top level, and there was some sort of mechanical "hum" from the roof (?) or was it from the room next door (?) that was annoying. Despite the annoying hum, really enjoyed staying here.

Room Tip: Don't land in Room 617 due to the "hum".
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank dcloyd
Dear Dcloyd:

I would like to thank you from the bottom of my heart for your review. We do take a lot of pride in the level of service we provide to our guests, but for me to received this review on a Monday, definitively it was a great way to start a week. Please consider us as your extended family in Española and personally I wish we keep it up in a way that next time you visit or drive by Española and stay with us we can impress you even more! Looking forward to your next visit!
Rice VA
Reviewed 28 October 2013

The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. However, the noise level was a bit much. For one thing, the doors don't close gradually and quietly - they thud loudly - not just the one in your room.....you can hear doors closing up and down the hallway. I was woken up several times as a result. And the area does not appear to be very safe and secure. There were sirens and loud shouting in the parking lot. There are also no complimentary breakfast or coffee which I've become accustomed to - at least the coffee. However, there is a Starbucks on site. And don't bother going into the smokey casino - very bleak with few (if any) winners.

Room Tip: If there are rooms away from the street, they may be more quiet than those facing the street.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Juan Carlos U, General Manager at Santa Claran Hotel Casino, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
At the Santa Claran Hotel & Casino, we take pride in the service and experience we provide our guests. I want to thank you for taking the time to write a review as it allows us the opportunity to address issues that we were not quite aware of.

I am sorry that you were not able to sleep because of the noise level that goes into our rooms. Our intentions are to ensure that all of our guests receive a great experience while staying on our property, so we will take a look at addressing the issue immediately. Although we conveniently have a coffee bar in our lobby that features Starbucks coffee, please know that we also have coffee (caffeinated and decaffeinated) available in each of our rooms.

Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to improve the quality of service and experience for our guests. We hope to make your next visit, great!

Regards,
Juan Carlos Urrutia, General Manager
Reviewed 22 October 2013 via mobile

Took a chance and went for it. The rooms are big and luxurious. The staff in all departments are friendly and truly genuine. I didn't use the casino but the hotel part is top notch. Nice coffee bar in the lobby with Starbucks products. This is a gorgeous property in Espanola New Mexico north of Santa Fe .

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Alcandriver
Juan Carlos U, General Manager at Santa Claran Hotel Casino, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
I want to thank you for your recent review of our gorgeous property in Espanola, New Mexico. At the Santa Claran Hotel, we take pride on ensuring that our guests receive a great experience and get the opportunity to meet our wonderful staff. I am glad to hear that you were able to enjoy our big and luxurious rooms, as well as, our coffee bar in the lobby featuring Starbucks Coffee products.

I am glad that you took a chance and won a great experience! We look forward to your next stay!

Juan Carlos Urrutia, General Manager
La Crosse, Wisconsin
Reviewed 28 September 2013

As others have said, the rooms are clean and lovely, especially the shower.
But, what is the primary purpose of a room? To me it's a comfortable night's sleep.
This is the ONLY hotel/motel bed I could not sleep in properly. It felt like a concrete slab with a 2" diameter pipe in the small of my back. We were only able to sleep for a few minutes at a time before needing to shift position.
I asked the desk clerk if other matress firmness types were available, she seemed to have no idea what I was asking.
We were booked for a second night and ended up sleeping sideways on the bed, my feet hanging over the end. We were able to sleep through the night.
Upon arrival the desk had no record of my reservation, it was in a three ring binder but the number had been copied incorrectly into the reception computer.
Our second day, I sent my wife to order breakfast and call when it was served. They couldn't get through, and it was only because I had put a load in the car that I walked over. Back in the room, the phone seemed to ve working fine.
No exhaust fan in the bathroom, poor air circulation in general. Sink is not designed with a stopper, so can't fill it to wash or shave.

Room Tip: Higher floors have small balconies.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Donald E A
Juan Carlos U, General Manager at Santa Claran Hotel Casino, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Mr Donald E A,
My sincerest apologies for your bad experience with our Hotel. Our goal is to have our guests leave with a great experience and look forward to their next stay with us. A part of accomplishing that is listening to our guests. I truly appreciate your feedback and will address your concerns and look at ways to ensure that these issues are addressed.

Again, I want to express my sincerest apologies and hope that you give us another opportunity to make up for your bad experience.

Kindest Regards,
Juan Carlos Urrutia, GM
Also consider these accommodations in or near Espanola
Cities of Gold Casino Hotel
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Los Alamos Entrada Park
The Lodge at Santa Fe
The Lodge at Santa Fe
#34 of 60 in Santa Fe

Been to Santa Claran Hotel Casino? Share your experiences!