“Photographers Dream”

Bisti/De-Na-Zin Wilderness
Ranked #1 of 16 things to do in Farmington
Reviewed 23 September 2010

My wife and I visited the Bisti Wilderness area for the first time in early Sept 2010. It rained from sunrise to about noon but the storm cleared and it was very beautiful. Without knowing exactly where the good stuff was, we made sort of a 3 mile loop and were not disappointed. We probably needed to go maybe another half mile to the NE as I now find out. It is definitely a place I intend to visit again. I carried a medium format camera and tripod along with digital and water. I would recommend traveling as light as possible. We ultimately had to turn back as the weather began to look like it was going to get stormy. In short it was fabulous

2  Thank SClarke43

Reviewed 3 March 2009

Me and my husband found this place accidentally. I mean it's huge but not heavily advertised which I think is really good. If you really want to feel that you're on another planet, it's the place to go. We went to the access of both De-Na-Zin and Bisti Wilderness. When you try De-Na-Zin, don't give up too early because you're supposed to drive on a deserted road for quite a long time before you actually get there. There are no signs on this road. After you get there you have to walk for quite a while until you see the good stuff. I loved Bisti better because you don't have to walk too far to see the wonderful rock formations. You could easily spend an entire day there or even more if you like camping. It's absolutely worth the long walk, the landscape is beautiful. Take plenty of water though, we went there in February, weather was just fine but I guess in summer it can be scorching hot. If it's too muddy, it's not very nice to walk there. It really is barren land, but awesome! Don't miss it.

8  Thank veronbalogh
Reviewed 29 May 2008

I have enjoyed many trips into the bisti. It's amazing! But.........the full name of the place is the Bisti D-na-zin WILDERNESS, so don't expect any more amenities than a parking area.

I've "camped" there in the parking lot in order to photograph under early and late lighting. Many people drop by not realizing that you need to hike in for a mile or more to see the good stuff, so it's not something to do as an "add on" to a day at say, Chaco. You should make it the focus of AT LEAST half a day!

Keep this in mind and you, too will have an excellent experience!

Mike Spieth

8  Thank NewMexicoMikey2
Reviewed 20 May 2008

My husband and I recently returned from a trip to the Bisti Badlands. It was amazing and a must- see. We found the temp to be perfect (mid May) and the access easy. We were there for two days and only scraped the surface of the area. We saw only a few other visitors which made it even more enjoyable.......almost like being alone on another planet! The formations are numerous and varied with lots of different colors and shapes.......real photo ops there! A friend found an ancient turtle shell there last year, but alas, we found no artifacts during our stay. It was once a river delta so there are ancient bones, fossils to be found. I would recommend this trip to all you rock hounds, would-be archeologists etc. It is fun and a great adventure off the beaten path. It is scorching in the summer so I recommend spring or fall. We took our three dogs and they had a blast. No facilities available so take everything you need and plenty of H20. It is DRY!!!!!

4  Thank Jtraveler02
Reviewed 7 September 2006

The Bisti Badlands are far off the beaten path. It looks like another planet. Not many places on earth that resemble these gray and unique features, as far as I know. I was pretty surprised to arrive and find that all that was there was a small parking area and a small marker noting that you had arrived. It was fun and interesting to walk around checking out the small area that was easily accessible to tourists, except I feared that there would be trouble finding my way back to the parking area and this is not the sort of place to get lost. No One will find you for a looooong time if you get disoriented. One car was there as we arrived and it was leaving. No other visitors showed up while we explored the area. In the middle of July, it was scorchingly hot. Impressive nevertheless, but I think I liked Goblin Valley State Park a little better.

2  Thank eileeneis