“The Ghost of the Kid”

Billy the Kid Museum
More attraction details
Owner description: A trip thru the New Mexico past during the 1800's and early 1900's Summer Hours May 15th thru October 1st Open daily 8:30 A.M. -5:00 P.M. NO MUSEUM TOURS AFTER 4:30 Winter hours Oct 2nd thru May 14th open Monday thru Saturday 8:30 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. No museum tours after 4:30 P.M. CLOSED ON SUNDAYS DURING WINTER HOURS Museum Is open on Sunday during Summer hours
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 28 November 2011

An incredible array of western memorabilia with an emphasis on Billy the Kid. The owners are great, friendly people. Highly recommended.

1  Thank jmhouse73
"household items"
"miles down the road"
"young guns"
in 2 reviews
"interesting things to see"
"great stop"
"worth the trip"
in 6 reviews
"photo opportunities"

Reviewed 16 October 2011

We were somewhat surprised at the size and amount of information in this museum. It has been well maintained. We also drove down the road a couple of miles to the BTK gravesite.

1  Thank Attkica
Reviewed 22 September 2011

Hello,and GOOD day to you.I went here on my Round-About tour of New Mexico and found "Billy The Kid" Museum and Grave site very knowledgable and factual.It has things i really did not know about history and some of the meanings about Billy and his freinds that are Buried there. If you have a chance to visit,By all means,Do so.You will find this really Interesting for you and the kids....Have a GOOD Day......

Reviewed 26 August 2011

We took a side-trip to Fort Sumner to see the Billy the Kid Museum on our way to Santa Fe. It was interesting and we learned a few things about the Kid that we didn’t know. There is one room that has the Billy the Kid related items – gun, etc. The rest of the museum is period artifacts - not sure they had anything to do with Billy the Kid directly, but still interesting. Worth a side-trip if you like history. We also drove out of town to the Post Cemetery to see the grave. It's in a cage and the foot stone is shackled due to it having been stolen a couple of times. The cemetery is free.

See more reviews
Reviewed 18 August 2011

I thought that this attraction was definitely worth the “Off-route” trip that we took to get to it. We were slated for E/B I-40 to Amarillo, but when I noticed that “Billy the Kidd Graveside & Museum” was only 45 minutes off the beaten path, I turned to explore the opportunity. Once we arrived it was literally in the middle of no-where! We toured the Museum and I must say, it was very interesting and fascinating to me.

It was very inexpensive to take the museum tour and we enjoyed every part of it. There was a lot of very rich history of not only Billy the Kidd, but the “Old West” as well. What a history lesson! There were all kinds of things to explore and look at. I even saw a “Johnny West” doll on display (one of my favorite cowboy action figure toys when I was a kid growing up in Nebraska). To really enjoy the museum and see everything it has to offer, would probably take approximately 2 hours. The bad thing about our trip was the fact that this attraction is actually half indoors and half outdoors. On our particular visit, the outside temperature was nearing 112 degrees! HOT – very HOT. This obviously caused us to rush a bit to get back into the air-conditioned main building/gift shop area.

Then after touring the museum, we drove 3-4 miles down the road to see the actual gravesite of “Billy the Kidd.” We arrived to this old beat down cemetery (old west style) and it was neat to see and experience. There it was - the real gravesite of “Billy the Kidd!” His grave was completely barred in (fenced in). The proprietors of the site told us that many people in time past tried to steal the body from the grave, so they secured the site with this rot iron fencing to keep thieves and vandals out!

After taking pictures of the site, we got back into our car and left for Amarillo, Texas. Visiting the “Billy the Kidd” museum and gravesite was a neat journey for our family. We saw some reminders of what the “wild, wild west” must have been like and we enjoyed it very much! I highly recommend that you take this personal journey to experience the atmosphere of what it has to offer.

Oh, by the way, the folks that actually run the museum/gift shop are wonderful people! They are friendly and make you feel very welcome when you arrive. The up keep was nice and the gift shop was much larger than I had expected with reasonable prices.

It was a fine jewel to see in the very heart of Ft. Sumner, New Mexico.

7  Thank Mcclintock853