“High price for what you get”

El Rancho Hotel & Motel
Ranked #12 of 35 Hotels in Gallup
Saint Louis, Missouri
“High price for what you get”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

The El Rancho was the fourth stop (July 29th) on our Route 66 drive from St. Louis to LA with a family of four. We arrived after 9 PM, so we were pleasantly surprised that they were still serving dinner in the restaurant. The food got mixed reviews from the family. We loved the atmosphere of this hotel. The exterior of the building and the lobby were like a trip back in time. We enjoyed walking around the lobby looking at all the signed photographs of the stars who stayed here (Mae West, John Wayne, etc.) We checked into our room (the Jackie Cooper room) after dinner. I understand wanting to keep the original flavor of this "old west" establishment, which is genuine, but our room was in sore need of updating. Replacement of the carpet, the linens, and the towels would help. Addition of a few more electrical outlets would be nice. There was a large group of teenagers staying in the room next to us, and they kept us awake on and off until about 3 AM. We had to run the AC to try to drown them out, which meant we froze because you could not just run the fan. It was AC, heat, or nothing, and there was no thermostat. The blankets had hair on them, so they were of no use to us. We get it that incorporating all of the comforts and conveniences of a modern hotel would probably ruin the charm of the El Rancho, but we're just not sure it was worth the $130 we paid. Check out the place even if you don't stay here, and have a drink in the bar.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Tennessee
Reviewed 24 July 2013

We try to eat lunch here whenever we're in Gallup, as much for the atmosphere as for the food - which is good, too. It has the aura of the old west, like stepping into a time from the past, which is just plain fun. The lobby is beautiful, the old pictures on the wall of Hollywood stars like John Wayne who frequented the area are interesting , and the nice gift shop full of genuine Native American jewelry make it a worthwhile stop.

Room Tip: We haven't stayed here.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GomomgoTennessee
Bakersfield, CA
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Due to a mistake in overbooking at a chain hotel in Gallup, my husband and I and two younger children were on a last minute search for a place to stay. I had heard good things about the El Rancho from family who had previously stayed there. It appeared to be located about 1/2 way between the newer hotels in Gallup and what I would call the "seedier" side of town. My husband was concerned with getting a parking spot right in front of the hotel to keep the car safe but we had no problems at all. Anytime you are staying in a historic hotel, you have to remember not to expect all of the amenities we are used to today. The bathrooms are small, there are not as many outlets in the room, etc. While I have read many complaints about things like this - even my 12 year old "gets it". He looked in the bathroom and said "Small bathroom. Like the old days....Cool!" There are many photos of old movie stars who have stayed here and the rooms are even named after old Western stars. The lobby is impressive with massive staircase and fireplace. There is an upstairs common area where you can sit and read or go out onto the balcony where I saw a couple enjoying a cocktail. The restaurant closed when we arrived and unfortunately they also closed the pool early that night which disappointed the kids. This would be my only complaint. While most pools stay open until 10 or 12, this one was closed by the time we arrived before 9 - apparently because no one was swimming at the time. What about later arrivals or those who might enjoy a later swim? I guess this is the cost of staying in a privately owned facility rather than a chain which follows chain rules. But strolling the hallways looking at photos of the old movie stars kept the kids occupied and we were also able to enjoy the Indian gift shop in the lobby before it closed.

Room Tip: We stayed in the "hotel" section and were able to enjoy the historic ambiance. (meaning ev...
3 Thank sc1989
Ruidoso, New Mexico
Reviewed 19 July 2013

We stayed for one night based on reviews and the cool look. If management put some money into this place it could be a gem. It was clean, but the overwhelming odor of Pinesol was repugnant and sickening. The restaurant has no wine list so we ate out for dinner, however, breakfast was good and the service friendly. Finding no wireless internet was inexcusable. Art work is disconnected and hung incorrectly. Bedding cheap. Rooms are very out dated, very small (we had a queen room) and bed old and uncomfortable. Tub had no stopper so after a back breaking long drive we had to settle for a shower. Brushing your teeth is impossible without banging your head on the shelf that sticks out over sink. Please put some money into this place and regain your place in historical lodging.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank WPCabins

Travellers are raving about these Gallup hotels

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We booked this hotel as a stop on a road trip while we moved from L.A. to Dallas. We pulled into the parking lot and were in awe.....it looked like it came straight from Radiator Springs in "Cars". This place had so much character. The inside reminded us of the parlor in Gunsmoke where Miss Kitty hung out. This place had so much history, it was really fun to stay there. The restaurant was fun. They were able to make something vegetarian for me even though it was not on the menu. The food was delicious. The only negative about this hotel was that I had booked a non-smoking pet room. When we got there I was told there were no more non-smoking rooms that they could allow pets in, as only certain rooms are designated for pets. We had to stay in a smoking room, and it was VERY smoky. As much as I liked it, I would only stay there again if I could be guaranteed a non-smoking room.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Dawn G
Orlando
Reviewed 10 July 2013

We pulled into Gallup looking for something to eat off the highway. "Sally" our GPS recommended this hotel and the plus it was on Route 66.
I thought tourist, probably run of the mill.
the history to this place is fantastic. movies were made in the area and many stars stayed there during the making of these movies. photos around the walls document the times. The restaurant..I chose the salad with steak.. I like my steak medium rare and usually with a salad, I receive a medium dried out steak. What a surprise!! .I received a FRESH hand cut salad with cucumbers, peppers and tomatoes. a lovely little steak.. AND it was perfectly cooked. I remarked out loud. IT tastes like REAL steak.. meaning the flavor was as I remember growing up.

the price was right too!

If you are in the area please check it out

1 Thank cherylJoy
New Boston, Texas
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Our trip to the Grand Canyon meant we would be around Gallup for an overnight. After researching on Google I discovered the historic El Rancho, temporary home to the film stars of the 1930's and 1940's. The hotel is older, meaning the rooms are smaller, but for the price of a modern BOX on the freeway you can enjoy a history lesson. While we wouldn't stay again, it was definitely worth the experience for my kids to see how the world has changed.

Room Tip: Stay in the main hotel building, otherwise you are staying in a 1950's road motel.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends