“Visit or stay or both”

El Rancho Hotel & Motel
Ranked #12 of 35 Hotels in Gallup
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Did not stay overnight here, but stepped inside for a while to see a unique hotel. Go to the balcony level and see the pictures of movie stars from the old days. Also some large Native American murals interspersed among the photographs. Take a peek into a hallway to see rooms that are named after stars like Humphrey Bogart and Jane Fonda.

Unfortunately, this facility is not caring for its uniqueness as the photos and autographs are fading and acid coming through from back of the pictures.

There is gift shop there, so buy something to pay for the pleasure of seeing a unique piece of Americana.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for El Rancho Hotel & Motel

Reviewed 3 October 2013

Kept seeing billboards for El Rancho Hotel on our drive to Gallup, home to the stars and I was suckered in. (I had just read a review on Trip Advisor about this hotel.) I just wanted to see this place and when we went inside, my husband decided we would stay there, why not, it was something really different. We checked in and got to our rooms. The rooms are small, the bathroom are small, only two outlets which were packed with plugs, but who cared, it is a very hold hotel on Route 66 and you just stay there because. We actually got a room for $84 for the night. Thought that was totally reasonable. But, it was a great part of movie star history.

The 2nd floor has pictures of all of the 30, 40, and 50's movie stars that stayed at this hotel. It was quite something to see. I loved it. After we journeyed through history, we went to the gift shop where they had amazing jewelry and other wonderful items. Who knew they had such wonderful pieces of jewelry. One silver bracelet caught my eye and it was way to expensive, but I still thought about it all night.

The restaurant was ok, but understaffed for dinner. We had to wait for about 45 minutes to get it. The food was doable and the service was pretty good. We actually had breakfast in that restaurant the next day and we got it relatively fast and the food was good as was the wait staff.

And, I did get my silver bracelet at a negotiated price thanks to my husband. But it is gorgeous. We packed up the car and away we went driving on Route 66.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 October 2013

We stayed here on a recent trip on Route 66. The grand lobby takes you back to the days when the road trip was part of the experience. The staff were attentive and friendly. Leroy at the front desk was very helpful and I enjoyed talking baseball with him. For the people that expect the latest bells and whistles, look elsewhere. For the people that love a grand old historic, clean place to stay, The El Rancho is for you. You can feel the history in the walls. I recommend it.

Reviewed 2 October 2013

Very nostalgic setting. Unfortunately it is living or hanging on due to this.
Rooms are very "quaint" but need updating. electrically the rooms wouldn't comply with HSE standards here in UK.
Dinning was ok but delivery took too long and was overpriced.
Bar facilities were good.
Breakfast was an experience! - Very overpriced for poor quality, and only one member of staff who was stressed by the amount of work. This showed in his attitude toward quests.
Perception was that we should be honoured to stay in such a famous place and would need to put up with sub-standard facilities. Shame

Room Tip: Try elsewhere
1  Thank wall1234
Reviewed 28 September 2013

This is not a chain hotel. There's a corkscrew affixed to the bathroom door frame (in case you want to crack open a bottle of wine while on the toilet). One of the couches in the lobby is made of bull horns. This will never be a chain hotel, and it makes no pretensions about that.

The air conditioning is loud. The bathroom's small. It's right on a busy road. The wifi at the check-cashing loan shark place across the street is better than the El Rancho's.

But NONE of this matters. Seriously. It didn't even matter. Because the El Rancho is makes up for it in a hundred wonderfully eccentric ways.

I stayed in one of the few rooms with a balcony. It was kind of rickety, but I'm a wild woman, so I went out there, anyway. Awesome. Check the pictures.

There really was a bottle opener and corkscrew affixed to the inside frame of the bathroom door, and I really could reach it while sitting on the toilet. If I'd had a bottle of wine, I'd have cracked it open right there.

It's a family-run establishment, and they are just delightful.

I had breakfast in the dining room the next day, and both the service and the food were great. Also, it seems to be something of a local hangout. A couple of regular tables, filling up with old friends. One woman came in with a flip of her shawl, and hugged a bunch of people, and the whole atmosphere in the room was like family. There was another travelling couple nearby, and they had their routine: every morning, they sat down with breakfast and read the paper, and that was how they began every morning. The place was so homey, they fit right in. I don't normally enjoy eating breakfast in restaurants, especially when travelling alone. I really enjoyed it here.

Check in, drop off your bags, and just wander through the lobby. Bring your camera. It's so worth it. SO worth it.

tl;dr:

Cons - loud AC, small bathroom, no in-room wifi
Pros - EVERYTHING: food, service, kitsch, comfy bed, oddly placed corkscrews

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Yeah it's a bit pricey, check-in guy was dressed great but certainly was a man of few words and our very large room was devoid of absolutely anything except a good bed. But it's hanging on by it's fingertips to a bit of glamour from the past. Fabulous lobby and restaurant and gorgeous, elegant staircases are well worth the visit on their own. Both dinner and breakfast were good and servers very friendly. Girl serving in bar was nice too and the atmosphere was very pleasant. It is a polar opposite of a chain hotel and all the more fun for it!

Reviewed 21 September 2013

This hotel did not live up to its expectation . Most expensive hotel on our trip expected more . No fridge in the room , no plug for the bath , no hair dryer but had my own but had to ask for an extension lead as no plugs were near any of the mirrors . Location train track right opposite on other side of busy road . No wi fi in rooms , so everybody in the lobby on there laptops or I pads lacked any atmosphere . Had to carry our luggage upstairs to the third floor . Bath is very old and tired . Our only disappointment on this trip

• Stayed: September 2013