“Nice, "But" Mean”

Ranked #19 of 35 Hotels in Gallup
Socorro, New Mexico, United States
“Nice, "But" Mean”
Reviewed 14 June 2012

We mostly stay the weekend at Best value in gallup to see our family and friends. But yet the staff are to mean like the head house keeper "Jenny Spencer" & the Laundry lady that helps her. Being so rude knocking on the door even though it say's 'DO NOT DISTURB' and they just walk in the room with you. so i think its best to let NO ONE stay at that hotel. We told the Manager "SAM" but seem's not to CARE about the customer's. And the shower's are nooo good! i need to take my family to a different place.

Room Tip: Just rent a different hotel not Best Value inn
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank ZMWB

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed 30 May 2012

Sheer torture is all I can say...Didn't get more than 10-15min. rest at a time and had to continue on our road trip in the morning. If you're driving and need to stop, bypass Gallup! I can't believe they built a strip of hotels along the tracks with intersections that require horn blowing!!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Gallup hotels

Gallup, New Mexico
Reviewed 22 May 2012

The room is clean and comfortable. The shower head is the nicest we encountered on this extended trip. However, there is one big negative. The smoking and non-smoking rooms are mixed in the same hallway and the smoke in the hall is overwhelming. The smoke leaks under the door of our room if the air conditioner is not on at all times. The A/C works well, almost too well. As soon as it cycles off, the smell of smoke wafts under the door. There are long term guests in this motel and when they come home after work, they begin using the internet and that overwhelms their wireless capacity and you are thrown off the net.

Room Tip: The railway is across the street and we are in a forward upstairs room and we cannot hear it.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Ct, Usa
Reviewed 26 October 2011

We stayed one night in this place in Sept. and were happy to be gone. The side door offered no security as most of the time it didn't latch correctly. The area was an industrial, gritty looking place and I can sympathize with "sanderson" when she says she did not feel safe there. The room was fairly large and not badly appointed but the "new" thermostat was not able to regulate the old in-wall style heater/AC unit so one could either freeze, broil or turn it off. The noise from the unit was quite loud but nothing compared to the constant freight train traffic and whistles on the tracks directly across the street that went on all night long. The breakfast was a joke........some cardboard looking plastic wrapped "pastries" and some imitation Fruit Loops, etc. For the same price we stayed in some very nice Marriots and Sheratons in Santa Fe and other nice cities so we were quite surprised that this place was such an extremely poor value. If you can't stay at the hotels on the strip area, stay at one of the chains near the truck stop. You'll be happier.

Room Tip: If you want a good room, don't stay here.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2011

Banging around from every direction. Didn't feel safe to take my dog out to potty. No where to take my dog except in the parking lot. Why do they say they're "pet friendly" ? Scary for a female. Couldn't wait for morning to get out of here.

• Stayed October 2011
festus, mo
Reviewed 11 April 2011

We stayed in Gallup for 13 weeks as i had a contract there for work. When we arrived our reservation was for a king but all they had was queens. My company made the reservation at least 1 month before we got there. We were first disappointed when the pool and exercise room they had advertised was not there. The staff told us the owner didn't want to fix the pool so he just filled it in. As far as the exercise room-never ordered equipment! Internet service is horrible. Disconnects all the time due to owner not having correct service for 60 bed hotel. The internet seemed to work better when the hotel was empty! And i'm not talking about WIFI- i'm talking about landline! The owner also forgot to pay the internet bill and it got shut off one night! One week before we were scheduled to check out the maintanence guy knocked on our door saying we needed to move rooms due to needing to do repairs. After complaining a lot- they called the the owner and he agreed to hold off on repairs until we left! The maid staff was excellent and nice! It would be nice if they would get the maid an actual mop. She was using a broom to guide around a wet wash cloth on the floor! As far as the trains people have complained about- TRAINS ARE IN GALLUP GET USED TO IT! No matter where you stay you will hear trains! Restaurant next door has good food and prices!

Room Tip: be nice to the staff, they will be nice to you
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Providenciales
Reviewed 16 December 2010

The desk staff at America's Best Value Inn & Suites in Gallup focused on frustrating us rather than providing service. We paid to sleep at this hotel, and not only were we unable to do so, we were prevented from speaking with owner/manager Sam Soohoo. We were captive because we had paid for our month-long stay up front.

Most Gallup hotel reviews complain about the trains. Trains run through Gallup regularly, including during the night, parallel with Rte 66 where the hotels are located.. If we're asleep, we don't hear them. If you're a light sleeper and the trains wake you, that's unfortunate, but not the hotel's fault.

America's Best Value Inn & Suites Gallup could be a rare find except for the desk clerks. They are inadequate. The first minor issue was payment. On checking in, I paid for 15 days with a credit card, and wanted to pay the additional 15 days a week later, when my credit card payment would have been processed, since I prefer to use that card for the airline miles. The clerk insisted I had to pay the balance by the third day or we would be charged a weekly rather than monthly rate, per the owner whom we could only speak with IF he came in around 5:00 p.m. and IF we caught him then.

We were satisfied with the room and breakfast--hot and cold cereal, fruit (bananas, apples, oranges), variety of breads (donuts, Danish, bagels, English muffins, etc.), coffee,many tea flavours and orange juice. With free in-room Wi-fi, the week went well.

The second week a man moved in next door who blasted music when he returned from work, ~6:30 p.m. I quit working then on my computer and turned our TV on loud enough to drown out his blasting recording of Jackie Evancho singing "O Holy Night" which he played at least twenty times in succession. He turned off his TV/ recording by 10:00 p.m., and we went to sleep.

At 5:15 a.m. his clock radio blasted country and western which played for half an hour at full volume. We assumed he'd be gone the next day, but the next morning at 5:15 Christmas carols blasted for half an hour. We banged on the corresponding door, but he didn't answer. Then he left, and within five minutes a buzzer alarm sounded non-stop. The desk clerk said she could do nothing until seven when the cleaning crew arrived and could go in and turn the alarm off.

I asked how long the man was staying, and the desk clerk said a week. She told me he was elderly and I assumed hard of hearing. So we offered to change our room despite the inconvenience, and despite our having been there first and month-long guests. We had to leave for appointments that day and could not switch rooms until we returned at 5:30 p.m., when we packed and loaded a trolley and went to the other room, only to find it was a smoking room reeking of smoke. So we returned to our original room and notified Desk Clerk Julia, who said the computer listed the room as non-smoking. I told her there was an ash tray and matches on the desk, and she reiterated that the computer said the room was non-smoking. She repeatedly asked who had asked me to change rooms, implying that since I had offered to change to another room, it was my fault we were being awakened by this outrageously inconsiderate guest! Julia said our only other option was to take a first floor room with outside access,motel-style, which I didn't want for security reasons. I asked that they move the man, and Julia said she'd speak to him.

To ensure that we not be awakened early a third morning be protracted blasting alarms, I asked to speak with owner/manager Mr. Soohoo. Julia said he was unavailable. I asked for emergency contact info for him and was told she had none! She gave me the number for the Avalon Restaurant which Mr. Soohoo also owns and where she thought he would be.

I was unable to get through to the Avalon for 15 minutes, during which time Julia called Felicia at the restaurant and prepared her for my call. Felicia told me the owner was "out"--she didn't know where, and that he might return at 8:30 p.m. I asked that she call me then to let me know whether or not he had returned. She didn't. I called at 9:45 p.m. and Felicia told me to take care of my problem with the hotel and hung up.

We just wanted to sleep undisturbed until 6:45 the next morning, so I called Julia again. She said she would go to the man's room and speak with him. I also went out and met Jeff. He was not old, and he apologized for the noise--said he didn't know anyone was next door. He offered to change rooms, but I told him it would not be necessary as long as he turned off his alarm after it sounded, and turned off the buzzer alarm before he left. He agreed.

At 4:25 the next morning, the alarm blasted, and Jeff turned it off. However, at 5:30 the buzzer alarm began sounding continually. After ten minutes, we called the desk, and a young man said he would take care of it. We heard the phone ring in Jeff's room, no response. Then the desk clerk knocked on Jeff's door and Jeff turned off the alarm.

The following morning staff smiled and asked how everything was, and the housekeeper asked me why I hadn't returned earlier from my appointments the day before, as if my afternoon discovery that the alternate room was smoking was my fault.and could have been avoided had I been there earlier.

I paid money to sleep at this hotel, was not facilitated in trying to reach the owner/manager, and was tormented by inadequate staff. If Mr. Soohoo is unaware of such guest treatment at his hotel, I'm sorry for him because what could be an excellent hotel experience is one no one could recommend.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank darbyoshaughnessy
cece2005, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn & Suites, responded to this review, 14 April 2011
I'm sorry you had a bad stay at our motel, please give us another try i'm sure u will be happy,please except our appoligy Thank You Hope You Will Come Back. ABVI