“Not a happy camper”

Red Lion Hotel Gallup
Ranked #26 of 35 Hotels in Gallup
Reviewed 19 July 2012

I selected the hotel, since the hotel was the host hotel for Gallup Pride, which I was more than happy to give business to. Once I checked in, everything seemed fine, until I was ready to go to bed aroudn 1am, after the after hours festiviteis from Gallup Pride. To my surprise, there was a bug strolling on my pillow --- ewww and disgusting, which literally turned me off about the place. I pulled the bed away from the wall and noticed the carpet has never been cleaned or vaccuumed, which was another turn off. I called the front desk to report the problem and the lady was polite, but it was also her first night working alone, which was very interesting. I changed rooms, but dreamt about bed bugs all night long and literally slept with one eye open. While eating breakfast, I overheard one of the other guest say, "The meal is cold, but the juices are warm - what's wrong with this picture?" Upon check out, I was refunded half of my money and demanded to speak with the manager, but was informed not until Monday. The young lady was rude and very unpleasant with poor customer service. I informed Gallup Pride Board members of this incident and plan to stay far away from this hotel, on my next visit to Gallup.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Trudie J
Joan H, Manager at Red Lion Hotel Gallup, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2012

I am so sorry that you experienced problems at the hotel. Everyone with the Gay Pride was extremely happy. I did not hear anything regarding any problems until I read you review. However, we did have the room checked and there was no signs of any insects in the room. The exterminator found no indication of the room ever having any type of insects in it.

Reviewed 18 July 2012

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank Katherine K
Joan H, Manager at Red Lion Hotel Gallup, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2012

Reviewed 17 July 2012

The beds were clean but the room is in need of repairs. A bottle of Old English would go a long way to at least improving the first appearance. No hot water for the shower or in the sinks that didn't drain. Non- smoking room but the mattress smelled of smoke. Red Lion is not for me.

Room Tip: rooms on higher floor may not have such a strong smell of chlorine from the pool.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. I have spoken with our maintenance staff regarding the pool smell, this was investigated and the pool had been shocked that day, this is the only reason we can think of that the smell was so strong.

Thank you for you for letting us know about any problem you experienced. This is one way we can find out about any problem.

Reviewed 17 July 2012

After hearing about the freight trains in Gallup, I decided to book a room that faced the atrium-indoor pool in hope of a good night sleep. It was very quiet. I didn't notice any noise coming from the corridor, but the hotel was not very full. The room was very large and clean, the beds were very comfortable, and the a/c was quiet. The front desk and housekeeping staff were very friendly. The free breakfast is limited, but does offer more hot items than comparably priced motels. The main drawback is that it is located on the edge of town and not close to many restaurants. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Ni4detail

Thank you so much for your review. We hope to see you next time you are in Gallup.

Reviewed 15 July 2012

I should have realized something when I checked in. To begin with the lobby smelled horrible because of the indoor pool in the adjacent room. The door were propped open for the pool room, but should have been closed. The doors were also open during our entire stay.

The front desk staff were discourteous.

The room was really worn. Everything, the carpet, the really soft beds, the curtains, the towels (so small and really worn and thin).

The hotel is across the street from one of the major railway lines in the west.

Stay somewhere else

The breakfast was in the attached restaurant - really meager and not very good.

Room Tip: One of the worst hotels I have stayed in.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank trflyer

I have read your comments and I am apologize for the problems you experienced. We usually get good reviews for our breakfast, however, I have shown the review to my kitchen staff and advised them to be more diligent with the food and be sure the burners are working.

Reviewed 11 July 2012

The only upsides of this hotel is that our room was clean and the beds were comfortable. Also the indoor pool is heated which was nice. I am confident I could have stayed somewhere less expensive and gotten a much better night's sleep.I experienced my worst night's sleep at a hotel at Red Lion Inn. I don't wake easily, but this hotel was so incredibly noisy (courtesy of the 1" gap beneath the hotel room door) that I continuously woke up throughout the night. I could hear other doors open and shut, and conversations taking place throughout the night (the most memorable being an long discussion in the hallway at 430am). I stayed on a Monday night in July, and the hotel wasn't exceptionally crowded-- just nonexistent soundproof around the hotel doors caused excessive outside noise levels inside the rooms.

When I was checking out I mentioned to the receptionist how the noise had prevented me from getting much sleep. The woman behind me in line chimed in agreement that she hardly slept too because it had been so noisy all night. They offered to give her some of her money back, but they told me they wouldn't do anything for me because I'd booked with Expedia.

An additional downfall was that my iPhone would not connect to the Internet (there was a signal, but the Internet is password protected and despite calling the front desk-- I still couldn't get access).

The shower in our room only output warm water at the hottest temperature setting. So if you like to take long hot showers, you'll likely be disappointed.

Breakfast is served from 6-9am. It was nothing special without much variety. The entire buffet menu consisted of: Scrambled eggs, bacon, grits, gravy and sausage, Danishes, toast, baby banana nut muffins, and a few types of cold cereal. There was no waffle maker, French toast, or pancakes

1  Thank Entlebuch
Reviewed 10 July 2012

The web site makes this place look amazing, and the lobby is really nice. There is a smell when you first walk in that I couldn't figure out, I thought maybe it was a cleaning fluid. It is the pool. There is an inside pool just past the lobby and the smell must be the chlorine.

Driving up, the hotel looked older, not like the new shiny web site. It was disappointing. The rooms are older, but maintained pretty well. The restaurant was decent for dinner but the breakfast buffet was just awful.

Room Tip: Park outside your hotel room window.
1  Thank PeggyfromChicago