“given the keys to an already occupied room!!!”

Red Lion Hotel Gallup
Ranked #26 of 35 Hotels in Gallup
Reviewed 8 September 2012

what an embarrassment, bursting in on 2 unsuspecting young women, both for them and us, lead me to believe the security was massively lacking, i returned to reception to get a new room and the staff didn't seem bothered, just handing me new keys. although the room was clean there is a bad smell around the hotel, and didn't get much sleep due to a lot of noise in the corridors all night long. now for the breakfast warm orange juice and cheap luke-warm and dried out buffet with very little selection, so much for the "Signature Roaring Start Breakfast" i would recommend staying elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank rvr4lf
Joan H, Manager at Red Lion Hotel Gallup, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2012

The guest did the review prior to speaking with the management. The hotel was sold out, this is not a reason for what happened. However, when they did speak with me I gave a full refund for the night a sincerely apologized for what happened.

The guest left happy because they told me that in England the management did not care about hearing anything negative and would not do anything for a unhappy guest. I laughed and told them we always try to make our guests happy and remedy our mistakes.

There are newer reviews for Red Lion Hotel Gallup

Reviewed 1 September 2012

The hotel its self was very nice. The rooms were clean, and the staff was friendly. There are some other reviews that say otherwise, but I did not see any such things on my trip. The only thing I have to say about the hotel that is negative, it the restaurant. I can't speak for everything on the menu, but the nachos and the enchiladas were horrible. Didn't even finish them horrible. No seasoning what so ever on the ground beef with the nachos and the chips were even unsalted. The enchiladas were the same. No flavor what so ever. I am not sure how much control the hotel has over the restaurant but all I can say is stay away from it.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for your response to our hotel. We welcome both kind comments and constructive comments.

Reviewed 23 August 2012

We booked through priceline, which meant that we had no say in a smoking/nonsmoking room, but the hotel was able to accommodate our request for a non-smoking room upon check-in. That's about the only good thing about this stay.

When we got to the room, it reeked of cigarette smoke. We always travel with room spray, so we gave the room a heavy dose, turned on the AC to help circulate the air, and hoped that we'd sleep through it. We had to place a blanket at the bottom of the door to help muffle the sound of doors slamming and to block the light.

Amazingly, we slept well.

In the morning, as I was making sure that we had packed everything, I found staples in our sheets. Staples! (see attached pictures) On my way down to breakfast I stopped by the front desk to let someone know that there were staples in the bedding. The worker simply said that she'd tell the manager on Monday. She never asked me my name or what room I was in. When I offered her this info, she jotted it down on a piece of paper and said she'd pass it along.

Breakfast was okay. Nothing great, but not the worst I've ever eaten.

Upon checking out, I brought up the staples again, gave my phone number, and was assured that the manager would get the message on Monday.

Two weeks later, I still hadn't heard from anyone so I sent an email. The response I received was condescending and basically accused me of making up my complaint in order to get a free night's stay, but they would give me one anyway.

Even for free, I will not be staying here again, nor should anyone else.

I did reply to their response (twice, because they claimed to not have received the first one), explaining exactly where the staples were and what they were in, so hopefully no one else will have the same experience.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nori S
Joan H, Manager at Red Lion Hotel Gallup, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2012

The pictures taken is not our hotel. We have no linen that has any type of blue line on it. We have checked out entire housekeeping department and spoke with each housekeeper. I do not know where these staples came from, however, they did not come from The Red Lion Hotel.

Reviewed 15 August 2012

We arrived before check in time but front desk would not assign the room even when we explained to her we would come in very late at night after the night performances of the Gallup Intertribal Ceremonies. She would not even look at you when spoken to. The night front desk was not very nice either. The side parking lot is poorly lit. There is a very strong humid smell throughout the hotel because of the indoor pool but it is also noticeable inside the room. The two electrical outlets I tried to use to charge my cell phone did not work. The bathroom sinks are extremely low (only good for small children). Only nice thing I can say about this hotel is the breakfast. Price is too high for what you get.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ALICENW
Reviewed 26 July 2012

We were delightfully pleased at our stay. The room was clean, large enough, really enjoyed having two sinks--one outside the bathroom area. The free breakfast each morning was hot and delicious, buffet style. The indoor pool area was beautiful with the live trees. We had guests to join us for a swim and they were treated graciously. Really appreciated the warmth and assistance from Adriana and Joan. They were ready and available for our every need greeting us as if we were special. Really enjoyed the stay and plan to stay at this Red Lion every time we go to Gallup.

Room Tip: We had a room near the front desk and that had advantages of being close to the restaurant. Next ti...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank SharonJan
Joan H, Manager at Red Lion Hotel Gallup, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2012

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. We have put a lot of time and training into our front desk and I am happy this training is apparent.

We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 19 July 2012

I selected the hotel, since the hotel was the host hotel for Gallup Pride, which I was more than happy to give business to. Once I checked in, everything seemed fine, until I was ready to go to bed aroudn 1am, after the after hours festiviteis from Gallup Pride. To my surprise, there was a bug strolling on my pillow --- ewww and disgusting, which literally turned me off about the place. I pulled the bed away from the wall and noticed the carpet has never been cleaned or vaccuumed, which was another turn off. I called the front desk to report the problem and the lady was polite, but it was also her first night working alone, which was very interesting. I changed rooms, but dreamt about bed bugs all night long and literally slept with one eye open. While eating breakfast, I overheard one of the other guest say, "The meal is cold, but the juices are warm - what's wrong with this picture?" Upon check out, I was refunded half of my money and demanded to speak with the manager, but was informed not until Monday. The young lady was rude and very unpleasant with poor customer service. I informed Gallup Pride Board members of this incident and plan to stay far away from this hotel, on my next visit to Gallup.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Trudie J
Joan H, Manager at Red Lion Hotel Gallup, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2012

I am so sorry that you experienced problems at the hotel. Everyone with the Gay Pride was extremely happy. I did not hear anything regarding any problems until I read you review. However, we did have the room checked and there was no signs of any insects in the room. The exterminator found no indication of the room ever having any type of insects in it.

Reviewed 18 July 2012

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank Katherine K