“Do yourself a favor, stay somewhere else.”

and 1 more site!
Red Lion Hotel Gallup
Ranked #25 of 35 Hotels in Gallup
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Pathetic attempt to be a decent hotel. Rooms have paper walls, front desk puts people beside you to make noise at 10 pm when the parking lot is nearly empty. Treadmill from 1990s doesnt work. Its a cheapy hotel with a nice new sign.

• Stayed: August 2013

Reviewed 20 August 2013

We stayed for one night at the Red Lion and it was not a pleasant experience. We went to our suite and turned on the air conditioning (it was 82 degrees when we entered). Within 15 minutes it was 85 degrees!!!! My traveling went to the front desk and told them the problem and they said maintenance would be called. After about 10 minutes I went to the front desk, no maintenance had arrived and it was getting hotter. The girl at the front desk was helpful and contacted maintenance immediately. We waited in the lobby. After speaking with maintenance she said that we could change rooms and were given a choice of three. Since we would have to move our luggage we chose the closer two doors down. We had driven from Taos and were hot and tired. The air conditioning worked in the new suite but there were large stains on the carpet and a large stain on the sofa. There was no refund for the inconvenience though the girl at the desk was very nice. Would never stay here again!!!!

Room Tip: If you are going to stay here in the summer ask if they could turn on the air conditioning before yo...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Chuck E, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Gallup, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to let me know the problem you had at our hotel last night. I had the situation checked out this morning, I am sorry that you had to change rooms. We are in the process of cleaning all of our furniture,
Again, thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Reviewed 19 August 2013

But if money is not an issue, go elsewhere. The rooms smell of mildew and don't walk in your white socks in the rooms for they will turn gray. The hot tub does not have a switch for the jets. The pool was great though. The breakfast was your usual hotel breakfast. The staff was very friendly.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Having read the reviews we were apprehensive about our one night stay here. However, we had a really positive experience. The room was very spacious. Everything was spotlessly clean including the carpet, bed linens and towels. The breakfast was excellent with a great choice of both hot and cold options. All staff were helpful and polite.

Room Tip: Always choose a top floor and one with an outside view in preference to one overlooking the indoor p...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Chuck E, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Gallup, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2013

Thank you so much for time in rating us on Trip Advisor. We are always happy to "surprise" our guest in a good way!

Reviewed 20 July 2013

I had read the previous reviews, which were all pretty bad, but decided the stay could not be as bad as the previous reviewers had said. I was wrong. Please read the reviews and realize that the people writing them are just like you and me. They have nothing to gain by what they write, but are merely trying to share their experience.
My experience was not that great. One of the previous reviewers titled the Red Lion, Gallup as lonely. After staying there I would have to agree, but I think my word would be Unloved.
This is a great piece of real estate. The floor plans and the layout are amazing, but the upkeep and care are missing. I felt like I had walked into a very unloved world.
When we entered our room we realized that the air conditioner had not been turned on. The thermostat registered 90 degrees. We turned on the air and went to dinner. By 10 pm it had improved significantly, but it was still at 76 degrees which made it difficult to sleep.
We were not able to get Internet connection in our room. I called the Front Desk and the Receptionist, nicely, explained that our lack of connection was due to the concrete walls. She offered to reboot the modem, but we saw no difference.
I didn't experience any excessive filth, but the legs from the couch were missing. Not a big thing, but just one of those little things that annoyed me. It showed that the rooms were just left to be treated badly by the next guest and that no one really cared.
I would not stay at this hotel if I visited Gallup again, but then again there are not a lot of hotels in Gallup. We are smokers and this decreases our chance of getting a nice hotel. If I visit Gallup again, though, I will take my chances and hope to find a happier and better loved facility.

Room Tip: Stay as close to the Front Desk and Lobby area as possible if you need Internet access during your s...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Chuck E, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Gallup, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2013

I am very sorry that we did not perform the we should have. I took your comments very seriously and I am taking steps to be sure future stays are up to your standards, as well as all of our other guests.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Reviewed 12 July 2013

Our travel agent made a mistake so when we got to our destination there was no room available. Thankfully Red Lion had a room and as it turned out was much nicer than the motel we were supposed to be booked in. Great breakfast with eggs, sausage, waffles, cereals, etc. quiet large rooms with plenty of space. A nice restaurant and bar on site. Would definitely recommend this hotel

Room Tip: Better not to get a room adjoining the pool because some swimmers can be noisy
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank santafake

Thank you so much. I am sorry your travel agent messed up, but I am so happy we were able make you feel welcome and comfortable. Please stay with us on your next trip through Gallup.

Reviewed 11 July 2013

We stayed 3 nights at this hotel (July 4,5,6, 2013). There was no wait upon check in. The front desk was very nice and we have zero complaints with them.
Arriving to our room it appeared to be an average hotel room until we went in the bathroom and there was dirt on the floors in the corner. We didn't think it was to big of a deal.I decided to take a quick shower and that's when the trouble began. The tub just wasn't draining right. I had to wash my hair then shut off the shower and let it drain, and the soap down, and shut the shower off to let it drain, etc. Took about an hour for me to get through the shower part and then another 15 min for the water to drain. When it was drained I saw 2 dead cockroaches by the drain. Disgusted I called the front desk and they put us in a different room.
This second room smelled better and the water drained the way it should. In the bathroom of this room there was mold up in the corner. This is a 2 star hotel, but I'm pretty sure mold shouldn't be in ANY hotel. The mini refrigerator did not work in this room and they had to bring us another one, and this one worked fine.
The WiFi would not work on our smart phones and on the laptop it kept shutting down. I e-mail Red Lion twice about this to see if something else needed to be done beside using their password but they just told me to go to the front desk and ask them. I told them to forget it because I had bother them enough and didn't want to keep complaining.
We did not plan on using the pool and that was good because it was closed?
I was pretty shocked to see 2 fire extinguisher boxes that were empty.The best thing about this hotel was the front desk.

1  Thank mccrayr

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor. We appreciate all guests reviews. I am sorry you had the problems with your room. The fire equipment had been ordered and we were waiting for the arrival of the package. We still had plenty of fire stations, so our guests were always safe.

The room has been checked with housekeepers and maintenance and needed items were taken care of.