“clean room but poorly upgraded”

Red Lion Hotel Gallup
Ranked #26 of 35 Hotels in Gallup
Reviewed 9 December 2013

The room was very clean and well stocked. All the amenities worked well.The hotel is dated, the upgrades were sloppy, I thought I was going to fall through the bathtub. Our remote didnt work and was told to wait for maintenance in the morning. For a nonsmoking building, many smoked at the doorways or in the corridors, smelling up the room most of the night (we were midway on the second floor). I give this stay a 6/10.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Joan H, Manager at Red Lion Hotel Gallup, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Thank you for the review. We do appreciate all guest feed back. I am very sorry for the problems you experienced at our hotel. I did inform both front desk and maintenance about this review and we have discussed the problem. I sure hope you give us a second chance if you ever stop in Gallup in the future.

There are newer reviews for Red Lion Hotel Gallup

Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

I thought this hotel would be improved once Red Lion bought it but I guess not! Internet connection is always bad! The hallways smell funny and the restaurant is slow and always play that horrible rock music.

• Stayed: December 2013
Joan H, Manager at Red Lion Hotel Gallup, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Thank you for the feedback. Our guest feedback is very important to us. I am sorry for the problems you experienced at the hotel. I have had a discussion with the restaurant staff about this matter. I really hope you give us another chance in the future.

Reviewed 26 October 2013

We first booked through Hotels .com and when we arrived to the hotel, our reservation wasn't in the system. Hotels .com had told us our room was the last one left (not true) and that the price we were getting through them was 20% lower than the walk-up price. Upon our arrival, after the desk clerk said we did not have a reservation, we booked directly through the hotel -- at a lower rate. Later, when we learned we did indeed have two reservations, the desk clerk took care of everything, making sure we did not charged twice. And, we did get the lower rate! Wonderful. It was a little wierd -- she kept calling us "Dear" and "Doll", but for what she saved us in time and money by getting our reservation straightened out, I can live with that!

The rooms are updated and the bed and bedding look new and lovely. The hotel layout is very spacious -- it resembles the old Holidome style, with the pool and recreation area in the center of the hotel. Because there is no family-oriented recreation besides the pool and hot tub in the courtyard area (it has been re-imagined with seating areas and many trees) it is very quiet (unlike the old Holidomes). My 18 year old son was disappointed the hotel did not have ping-pong or foosball tables like the old Holidomes once did.

The hotel smells clean and fresh, the decor is updated/upscale, and the carpet looks clean. I never smelled any evidence of pets (and I am very picky about that). The only thing I didn't like about this hotel is the food in the "steak house" restaurant on the property. I ordered a Ceasar salad to go that was so mushy (as if it had sat in salad dressing for 15 hours, which it might have), it almost looked like saag paneer. I threw it out, because the restaurant was closed five minutes after I picked it up, and I couldn't get my money back. How can someone screw up Ceasar salad?

The building was a little on the cold side for me, but I can only imagine how expensive it must be to heat a converted Holidome! Plus, I get cold easier than most.

The location is pretty dull. There are other 2 and 3 star hotels in the immediate area, and the city is known for its refineries. Enough said on that.

All in all, a great value for what we paid. I'd recommend it to business travelers on a budget, families, and groups of friends. If you want romance, there are fancier places than this (but you'd pay a lot more, too).

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Joan H, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Gallup, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Thank you for the nice compliments. We always want to see our guests "stay happy".

Reviewed 13 October 2013

Gallup is the "half way" point of a two day semi annual trip. We have stayed at the Red Lion in Gallup. It is clean, spacious, affordable, pet friendly and has a hot multi item breakfast. The Red Lion in Gallup is a former "dome" motel with an enclosed swimming pool. I suppose it was built in the 80"s when that was the rage. But present owners have taken very good care of it.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your time. We appreciate knowing we are keeping our guests happy.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

We got in the "hot tub" which was warm.Having a hot tub for 30yrs I can tell with in 1 degree the temperature and it was 98, maybe 99. We went back to the room and my wife sat down on a bed ( two queen room) and it gave way. She is not heavy. The maintenance man came and couldn't fix it so we were moved to another room which was closer to the lobby. We could not get Wi-fi in the our room or in the restraunt which is 75 feet from the router. In leaving I left my shaving kit and called back on Thurs. afternoon and was told it was there but would have to call back Friday and talk to someone else. I called Friday and gave the information to them and they would turn it over to UPS and they would call and confirm. Monday afternoon Oct 7, the UPS store in Gallup finally called and I am waiting for my package. The service in the restraunt was also bad, but I don't think they are part of the hotel.

Room Tip: Don't stop here
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Mary W

I am sorry you had problems during your stay. Our staff reads the reviews daily and check on the items that are mentioned. I hope you will give us another chance next time you come through Gallup. Our hope is to make each guest a happy and returning guest.

Reviewed 1 October 2013

Pros: Convenient to the highway, decently appointed clean room, large indoor "courtyard" with swimming pool. Quiet area of town and quiet room. Free breakfast. Pets allowed. Great value, and met the star rating.

Cons: The only food vending machine I could find is by the front desk. It's about 1/4 mile walk through the hallways from where my room was. Also, there are entrances on the back sides of the building that are not locked, and no security cameras. This was a security concern.

Overall: I have stayed in the Red Lion in both Gallup and Grants multiple times and always return when traveling between New Mexico and Arizona on I40. The two locations are very similar. The price is excellent for the star rating and they are solid. Not perfect, occasionally some issues, but a good value for the money, especially when you use Express Deals or name your own price on Priceline. I have had much worse experiences at the same star rating at other hotels.

Room Tip: Rooms on the exterior give an outside view. Rooms that face the interior give a view of the pool are...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

Thank you so much for your review. We so much appreciate your time in letting us know what we are doing correctly. We were glad to hear you are a repeat guest at Grants and Gallup.

Reviewed 25 September 2013

I stayed here for a few nights, and the hotel is clean, but there was a slight chemical smell in te lobby, and my room was not fully cleaned when I checked in. They immediately corrected the issue, but it shouldn't have happened. The rest of my stay was fine, the restaurant is pretty good, but the service in the hotel just feels lackluster and informal. Everyone is super nice, but you may have to ask for the same thing a few times, and the staff sometimes looked a bit too casual in their dress. Think sweat pants. It's a good stay, but the issue is that in the area there are other options 40% less in cost, and just as good as far as room and cleanliness goes. The one bonus is this stay is the breakfast, but I am not sure to worth it unless a family. Solid 2.5 star hotel, but do check out the other options

• Stayed: September 2013

Thank you so much for the compliments. I am sorry we did not have anything for your 18 year old son, we are looking at putting in some video games, etc. in the future.

Again, thank you for your review and your business.