“The worst hotel in 35 years!!!”

Red Lion Hotel Gallup
Ranked #25 of 35 Hotels in Gallup
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Too many to count... the internet did not work!!! It was imperative I had internet as I was dealing with VERY difficult issues in China. I was told after paying 70 a night for a room to come work in the lobby!!! ? If thats the case why have a room?

The heater never got the room up to a reasonable temperature! It was 27 outside and probably 55 in the room!

I told the front desk 3 times about the internet. They looked at their cell phones and said "it's working", and went back about their business. The 4th time I told them about the internt they told me the hotel is made of concrete DUH!! and that the internet does not work well in the room! Then why doesnt management fix it, when shold tht be my problem? I could go to McDonalds and use WI-FI! I have been to much larger hotels and I found this to be a totally unacceptable answer.

I was working with China until 4:30 AM I had the "do not disturb" sign on the door. At 8:30 in the morning I get a call on my room phone telling me I had to leave the hotel by 1 pm! No reason WHY! I was originally planing to stay 3 days. Others in my party were given referals to a hotel next door, that was even more sub par than the Red Lion.

I was planning to leave anyway due to the completely unacceptable service of thie hotel.. no resturant open, the bar was closed, we had snacks from the vending machines.

Upon checkout, I was given my room charges for over 70 dollars, I told them are you serious no heat , no internet, and you have the nerve to charge me for the full cost of the room? The staff did not call the manager out... she asked for my email address and said they would review my bill. Needless to say by the tone of this survey in 35 years of travel, have I ever been to such a below standard hotel. I spend over 150 days a year on the road. One would expect with a Red Lion name on the building that a level of expectation should come with this. They really let me down on this one!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Red Lion Hotels
Ryan L, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Gallup, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

wow I'm so sorry to here that your stay here was that bad sir well are place is running amazing right now that I'm the new GM here and things here have been really good and improved on. so please come back and see us and I'll make sure your stay is great.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

The room was very clean and well stocked. All the amenities worked well.The hotel is dated, the upgrades were sloppy, I thought I was going to fall through the bathtub. Our remote didnt work and was told to wait for maintenance in the morning. For a nonsmoking building, many smoked at the doorways or in the corridors, smelling up the room most of the night (we were midway on the second floor). I give this stay a 6/10.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Joan H, Manager at Red Lion Hotel Gallup, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Thank you for the review. We do appreciate all guest feed back. I am very sorry for the problems you experienced at our hotel. I did inform both front desk and maintenance about this review and we have discussed the problem. I sure hope you give us a second chance if you ever stop in Gallup in the future.

Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

I thought this hotel would be improved once Red Lion bought it but I guess not! Internet connection is always bad! The hallways smell funny and the restaurant is slow and always play that horrible rock music.

• Stayed: December 2013
Joan H, Manager at Red Lion Hotel Gallup, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Thank you for the feedback. Our guest feedback is very important to us. I am sorry for the problems you experienced at the hotel. I have had a discussion with the restaurant staff about this matter. I really hope you give us another chance in the future.

Reviewed 26 October 2013

We first booked through Hotels .com and when we arrived to the hotel, our reservation wasn't in the system. Hotels .com had told us our room was the last one left (not true) and that the price we were getting through them was 20% lower than the walk-up price. Upon our arrival, after the desk clerk said we did not have a reservation, we booked directly through the hotel -- at a lower rate. Later, when we learned we did indeed have two reservations, the desk clerk took care of everything, making sure we did not charged twice. And, we did get the lower rate! Wonderful. It was a little wierd -- she kept calling us "Dear" and "Doll", but for what she saved us in time and money by getting our reservation straightened out, I can live with that!

The rooms are updated and the bed and bedding look new and lovely. The hotel layout is very spacious -- it resembles the old Holidome style, with the pool and recreation area in the center of the hotel. Because there is no family-oriented recreation besides the pool and hot tub in the courtyard area (it has been re-imagined with seating areas and many trees) it is very quiet (unlike the old Holidomes). My 18 year old son was disappointed the hotel did not have ping-pong or foosball tables like the old Holidomes once did.

The hotel smells clean and fresh, the decor is updated/upscale, and the carpet looks clean. I never smelled any evidence of pets (and I am very picky about that). The only thing I didn't like about this hotel is the food in the "steak house" restaurant on the property. I ordered a Ceasar salad to go that was so mushy (as if it had sat in salad dressing for 15 hours, which it might have), it almost looked like saag paneer. I threw it out, because the restaurant was closed five minutes after I picked it up, and I couldn't get my money back. How can someone screw up Ceasar salad?

The building was a little on the cold side for me, but I can only imagine how expensive it must be to heat a converted Holidome! Plus, I get cold easier than most.

The location is pretty dull. There are other 2 and 3 star hotels in the immediate area, and the city is known for its refineries. Enough said on that.

All in all, a great value for what we paid. I'd recommend it to business travelers on a budget, families, and groups of friends. If you want romance, there are fancier places than this (but you'd pay a lot more, too).

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Joan H, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Gallup, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Thank you for the nice compliments. We always want to see our guests "stay happy".

Reviewed 13 October 2013

Gallup is the "half way" point of a two day semi annual trip. We have stayed at the Red Lion in Gallup. It is clean, spacious, affordable, pet friendly and has a hot multi item breakfast. The Red Lion in Gallup is a former "dome" motel with an enclosed swimming pool. I suppose it was built in the 80"s when that was the rage. But present owners have taken very good care of it.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your time. We appreciate knowing we are keeping our guests happy.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

We got in the "hot tub" which was warm.Having a hot tub for 30yrs I can tell with in 1 degree the temperature and it was 98, maybe 99. We went back to the room and my wife sat down on a bed ( two queen room) and it gave way. She is not heavy. The maintenance man came and couldn't fix it so we were moved to another room which was closer to the lobby. We could not get Wi-fi in the our room or in the restraunt which is 75 feet from the router. In leaving I left my shaving kit and called back on Thurs. afternoon and was told it was there but would have to call back Friday and talk to someone else. I called Friday and gave the information to them and they would turn it over to UPS and they would call and confirm. Monday afternoon Oct 7, the UPS store in Gallup finally called and I am waiting for my package. The service in the restraunt was also bad, but I don't think they are part of the hotel.

Room Tip: Don't stop here
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Mary W

I am sorry you had problems during your stay. Our staff reads the reviews daily and check on the items that are mentioned. I hope you will give us another chance next time you come through Gallup. Our hope is to make each guest a happy and returning guest.

Reviewed 1 October 2013

Pros: Convenient to the highway, decently appointed clean room, large indoor "courtyard" with swimming pool. Quiet area of town and quiet room. Free breakfast. Pets allowed. Great value, and met the star rating.

Cons: The only food vending machine I could find is by the front desk. It's about 1/4 mile walk through the hallways from where my room was. Also, there are entrances on the back sides of the building that are not locked, and no security cameras. This was a security concern.

Overall: I have stayed in the Red Lion in both Gallup and Grants multiple times and always return when traveling between New Mexico and Arizona on I40. The two locations are very similar. The price is excellent for the star rating and they are solid. Not perfect, occasionally some issues, but a good value for the money, especially when you use Express Deals or name your own price on Priceline. I have had much worse experiences at the same star rating at other hotels.

Room Tip: Rooms on the exterior give an outside view. Rooms that face the interior give a view of the pool are...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

Thank you so much for your review. We so much appreciate your time in letting us know what we are doing correctly. We were glad to hear you are a repeat guest at Grants and Gallup.