“talk about a road side attraction!”
Review of Soda Dam

Reviewed 9 August 2013

I was in the area for a week, and stopped by here almost every day. It was interesting to compare pictures I took 18 years ago of this place, and see how much parts of the formation have evolved. There is a continual flow of people stopping by to check this spot out and take pictures of the front, but it's actually quiet and quite beautiful around back too.

1  Thank J9lmt
in 4 reviews
"minerals"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed 4 June 2013

Soda Dam is a very interesting formation and can be easily seen from Hwy 4. Parking is available. A waterfall flows thru a tunnel in the rocks. The fall was about 20 feet tall and 10 feet wide. The waterfall was rushing even during the existing draught. There are small caves to climb in and around. There is a small hot spring on the opposite side of Hwy 4. Pedestrian should be careful with the auto traffic. It was a slight sulfur smell. It is free, no charge. This is certainly worth a stop.

1  Thank M J
Reviewed 1 April 2013

I wish we had planned more time to stop here, but as it was, we saw both the modern precipitates (right along road) and some of the tufa mounds. We came from the north, and I think we didn't quite realize all there was to explore just downstream. From the north, it's not well marked, but there is a big pullout. I am not sure if there is posted information about the springs, we were a geology group, so we figured things out without signage. Fascinating place.

Reviewed 28 December 2012

My sister introduced me to this scenic location. It's worth the stop. Took lots of photos then with us climbing all over. I was alone this time and there was snow and ice to contend with so kept my distance for safety's sake and just took telephoto pics.

1  Thank Kathleen A
See more reviews
Reviewed 9 November 2012

This site offers an amazing overall impact. But take no less than an hour to appreciate the truly amazing finer aspects. I am afraid to share too many details for fear that the more hidden beauties might get spoiled from to much traffic. But there is so much more than meets the eye. This site is a must see if your in Jemez, especially if you are even remotely interested in geological formations. Yes, of course there are far more larger and more impressive sites but this one is a noteworthy addition to my list of sightings- especially if you know where to look!

2  Thank BenjaminConant