Canon del Rio Retreat & Spa
US$71
US$68
Hotels.com
Orbitz.com
All reviewshot tubjemez mountainsnavajo roomnew mexicobreakfast was deliciousgreat hikingcommon roomkoi pondother guestssliding doorbed and breakfastrelaxing stayrooms are comfortablebeautiful propertycanyon wallscommon areasfrittata
Reviewed 17 January 2010

My boyfriend and I came to this B&B just after Christmas to do some cross-country skiing in the area. I was very impressed by the artistic touches in our room and sensed that the owners put a lot of care and thought into their establishment. They were friendly and gave us good information about the area the next morning. One of the best parts was breakfast -- it was truly excellent! The owner who cooked for us explained that she had some training and experience, and it was evident to me. Even though I am on a low carb diet, I still had plenty to eat. We had a lovely visit with other travelers at breakfast and just had a great overnight stay. The only downsides were that the bed was firmer than ours at home and that the radiant heat didn't seem to go down to the desired temperature. I needed to open a window in the bath to get the room to cool down. Overall, I just felt this B&B was very comfortable - I felt very at home and plan to come back.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 December 2009

I spent my birthday at Canon del Rio and had a magical time. John and Tracy were very friendly and accommodating. My room was fantastic and the hot tub was lovely.
I'm going back as soon as possible.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 November 2009

The peacefulness of the area was expressed beautifully by the inviting professional staff as soon as I entered the entrance. I particularly appreciated the owners hospitality that was filled with warmth and pride. I usually carry a can of Lysol with me when traveling but I must say this B and B was fresh and spotless. I felt that I was the first one to enter the rooms. As a designer myself, I very much appreciated the flavor and colors used that reflect the contemporary Native American motif. The art work, pottery and books scattered throughout are wonderful . They truly set the tone.
I so loved the new spa and was able to book the best massage and facial that I have ever had. Tracy was most accomodating and understood my special needs during the session. Would have loved to use the pool- wrong season.
Regarding the breakfast- It was to die for. Very healthy, yet i couldn't help but go off my diet when it came to the blueberry pancakes and curried hash browns. Nice mix of guests while I was there.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 October 2009

Our only regret was that we didn't book 2 nights. The bed & breakfast is rather rustic, with fairly small rooms, but the main building is lovely and the grounds very serene. There is a big screen TV in the sitting room and many DVD's to watch if you want to. When we were shown around the grounds at check in, we were told to help ourselves to any food and drinks that were in the fridge. One caution however, there are very few restaurants nearby, and all but one was closed on a Monday evening. Others have commented on the complimentary breakfast, and frankly, I thought that that shouldn't be a selling point...but it is. Blue corn pancakes, egg souffle, fresh juice, potatoes, etc. The guests were all friendly and we spent a great breakfast talking about everyone's recent trips. The hosts were full of information and there is plenty to do nearby if you like viewing scenery, hiking or visiting the ruins in the federal parks nearby. Although the pool was closed for the season, the hot tub was very hot and the sound of the outdoor fire pit next to the tub was crackling. All in all, a great stay and someplace we hope to return to in the future.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 September 2009

Our room was tiny, with no place to put luggage or much of anything else. The main attractions seemed to be the pool and hot tub, but for a couple of fat middle aged guys these didn't seem so alluring. Something sad and forlorn hung about the whole place, like they were about to go bankrupt. At about $150 a night, way over priced.

Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple