“Stay Away”
Review of Jemez Canyon Inn

Jemez Canyon Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jemez Springs
Jemez Canyon Inn
Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States
“Stay Away”
Reviewed 25 September 2012

I stayed at this property and was not impressed. When I payed for the room I had to go into the owner's kitchen where there were two people smoking and dirty dishes and food everywhere. The room smelled like cat urn. When I left I noticed that I left my GPS in the room. When I called Billie told me that she would take a look and call me back. She never called me back. When I called her she told me that she never told me that she was going to call me back and that she did not find the GPS and was going to call the maid and then call me back. I waited two days for her to call me back and she never did. When I called her again she said the same thing. The owners do not tell the truth and the place was very dirty. Jemez is full of great places to stay with great people, stay away from here.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jenny M

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 19 September 2012

On our 3 trips to New Mexico in the past 3 years, we have stayed at several motels and inns and liked almost every one. Jemez Canyon Inn stands out as the best. It's unpretentious, not for someone who travels in order to enjoy luxurious surroundings but to be comfortable, close to nature, get some tranquility. The conveniences are there, TV and wifi that works, but the stand-out aspects of Jemez Canyon Inn was, for us, the ship-shape clean and the quiet. There wasn't the usual sense that air freshener had been sprayed. The room was genuinely clean, with a hardwood floor rather than carpet, spotless fixtures. If you like simplicity, peace and quiet, refreshing breezes from the mountains, proximity to gorgeous hot springs, Jemez Canyon Inn will suit you fine. It's funky in the best sense.

Room Tip: Our room was in the back, super quiet, but all seemed fine.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank kevin_lathrop
Cortez, Colorado
Reviewed 5 May 2012

This IS a funky place. In a good, New Mexico way. We loved staying here. Fully equipped kitchen, clean, very comfortable beds, even if the shower was rather small. The wi-fi was down that weekend, which actually turned out to be helpful in getting us unplugged and relaxed. The breakfast cafe just down the road had internet, anyway. The proprietor did what she could to get it up again, to no avail. Her home is also on the property, so when we needed extra coffee filters, she supplied them (and there was plenty of coffee supplied, too). Full-sized fridge came in handy. We stayed in Unit #2, and will definitely try to reserve it again when we return to the area.

Room Tip: There are only a handful of rooms. We didn't see any of the others, but we're very pleased w...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Jean Ann M
Redondo, Washington
Reviewed 11 June 2011

Yes, you can do better, but why? I am a native New Mexican who doesn't need the fancy lodges with facials, mud packs and catered breakfast. I go to the Jemez to relax, walk, hike, bicycle and enjoy the scenery. I don't need a $179 a night lodge for a couple a nights. If you can and prefer to pay that much, by all means...do. As for us, the kids wanted to go camping and to tell you the truth, I just wasn't up to it. So this was our compromise.

From the pictures, the place doesn't look like much. In person, it still doesn't look like much. There are old vehicles, old water trucks about... and such...but in New Mexico...we love our outside well..."stuff" as it adds to the nature of things. If you want perfect, go to Connecticut (where we also lived and they can keep it :-) BUT, the owners are warm and friendly (New Mexican Style) unpretentious (also, New Mexican Style) and offer accommodations are generous in size (Room #5 had a huge bed in the master bedroom, a double bed and a daybed, a dining table, a kitchen that has all the pots and pans, coffee maker and full size fridge, stove, television, cable, VCR with movies, sofa, and rocker) The master bedroom has a clothes closet (also an ironing board) and dressers. There are fans, air conditioner, nicely furnished bathroom. The owner was great and showed us another other nice unit that has a loft with the beds. So if you have kids and don't want to worry about the carpet getting dirty or about impressing your friends....this is the right place. We got great sleep on comfortable beds. The furnishings are a bit "older" but who the heck cares? After all, remember traveling on Route SixtySix? This is similiar to what you would find in the older motels as far as ambiance and decorations. They have two good sized bbq grills outside that they let you use and they furnish the propane. We were able to wash our dog out in the courtyard and the girls used the fire pit to roast marsh mellows and make smores. This was my version of camping without the tent! There is some play equipment for the kids and the owner even said my teenagers could set up their tent on the grass (watch out for the goathead stickers). We might oblige next visit and YES, we will be back. The owner makes wonderful coffee and we even met her relatives who she hadn't seen in 40 years.

So in summary, if you are looking for the Hilton or Carlton Ritz, keep going. If you are a hunter, a fisherman, a family who is there to actually enjoy the Jemez and keep the costs down....this is the place to go to. You won't get a hot tub, but you will get value for your money! Enjoy...New Mexico Style (not Santa Fe Style).

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
15 Thank LadyNM
Portland
Reviewed 9 July 2008

Jemez Springs is a nice small town on a beautiful scenic byway, Unfortunately, the Jemez Canyon Inn is not so pretty, Sited between the owner's home in the front and a pre-fab warehouse building behind , the Inn consists of a couple of older subdivided building surrounded by a gravel parking lot. Not the lovely, rural ambience I had hoped for.

Owners were friendly but terribly inefficient. We were promised a non-smoking room: the room reeked of smoke, and the smoke alarm was found stashed in a drawer where the last resident-smoker had stashed it.

Managers were hard to find.....they holed up in their home/office and didn't answer the door. Even calling for them didn't help......their television was playing, and noise was heard in their living quarters, but no one would come to the front desk. I noticed I was not the only person unsuccessfully wandering the property in search of an owner/manager to resolve a problem.

Ironically, at one point one of the owners walked into our room, without knocking, in search of the other owner. I cannot imagine why he thought the other owner might be in our room, but when he didn't find her he walked out of the room without an explanation or apology. (That was the only time we were able to find a property manager, other than when we checked in and when we paid.)

The rooms themselves aren't bad. Rooms are fairly clean, and are quiet. The beds were comfortable. Furnishings were older, but everything worked. So, you could do worse.

But you probably could do better.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank Travel50S
New Mexico
Reviewed 8 August 2006

We booked this, fingers crossed, based on their (very simple) website and a nice phone chat with the proprietor. All's well that ends well, to say the least.

This is not your standard hotel property: it's more like a collection of little buildings divided into hotel rooms/suites, each decorated with odds and ends, kind of like staying in your aunt's spare bedroom/s. Very eclectic, but spotlessly clean and very well apportioned. The kitchenettes had everything you could want, including (nice) coffee. I have never slept on a more comfortable bed than the queen bed in room 5, by the way... still wish I'd gotten the name of the mattress brand.

We got there late, but the owner was happy to see us. We woke late and loitered, but there was no pressure about checking out or clearing out the room. In fact, the owner invited us to pick fruit off her trees: mirabella plums, sweet little crabapples, and peaches. We picked so many that we're still eating them more than a week later --and the owner's comment was that the more we picked, the less guilty she felt for not putting them up or doing something with them. Really friendly, thoughtful people.

In sum, it's not luxury, and don't expect the sheets and curtains to match. But it's inexpensive, comfortable, very clean and well-appointed, and the owners are great. Add to that Jemez Springs' natural beauty and its closeness to ABQ, and this place is a winner. We'd definitely go back.

20 Thank AOGB

Been to Jemez Canyon Inn? Share your experiences!