“The Best Mexican Food in the Las Cruces & El Paso area”

Chope's Bar and Cafe
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in La Mesa
Cuisines: Southwestern
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Have ever wonder in a sea of Mexican restaurants who is the Best, well look no further
it's Chopes in La Mesa, NM

It's like grandma in the back kitchen cooking the food from scratch.

They been there for nearly a 100 years and yes it is a house turn in to a restaurant!

Reviewed 7 October 2013

I have eaten at Chope's since I was a child (40 years) and am still going. It is hands down the best Mexican food in El Paso, Las Cruces and the Southwest and that is saying a lot as there are many other excellent Mexican food restaurants in the area. It is half way between Las Cruces and El Paso on HWY 28. The bar which is an old building separate from the restaurant is a fantastic dive although new law in New Mexico changed the ordering of Quarts (one persons can't order one as it is considered 3 beers and law states you can only have two open at table) which was always nice to have to wash down the chili. They will still bring the beer but you have to share which is not a problem. The chili is hot, hot, hot, especially in the fall when the new harvest comes in. The green chili enchiladas are fantastic and the best I have ever had. Chope's chili rellenos are out of this world!! I would recommend to anyone who visits Las Cruces or El Paso area or even if driving through, just a slight detour off I-10 !!!

2  Thank Stephen N
Reviewed 9 September 2013

If you are traveling on HWY 28 through the pecan groves,on the way to El Paso, La Mesa is a small bump in the road. this is hardly the place that you would expect to find an old icon Mexican Restaurant. this old adobe build houses the original and added on restaurant. Some peoplemight not stop because from the outside it looks like any other small local bar.It was originally a house, the rooms are small with low narrow doorways and uneven tile floors, It is still run by the original family, has won many restaurant awards overthe years, and has not missed a beat for food, fun and service. The portions are large and you can have it as hot as you can take it. I had my favorite Mexican dish Green Chile enchiladas and they were great. It is well worth a short drive from Las Cruces and I feel that it serves some of the best Mexican fare in the area.

Reviewed 12 August 2013 via mobile

My husband and his family have been dining at Chope's for many moons! We were visiting my mother- in- law this weekend and when she asked where we wanted to go to eat on Saturday night, the hubby suggested Chope's. He is such a smart guy! Cool building, friendly, attentive servers and the food, oh my, soooooo good. I had a combination plate and I have never had such a yummy relleno and we have eaten plenty in New Mexico! It was excellent and reasonably priced. We went home with "Stuff It" T-shirts. Truly authentic, delicious Mexican food. Don't miss it if you are in the area!

Reviewed 11 August 2013

Chope’s is one of those magical places. I became a patron during my days at NMSU, and it’s everything you’d want in a restaurant. It’s authentic (it has soul) and the food is unique and one-of-a-kind….the rellenos are unreal; and Chope’s is responsible for starting my 20+ year green chile addiction!

I was recently in El Paso, and I made the (beautiful) drive out to La Mesa and was treated to a great meal. I could not decide between the relleno burrito or the green chile enchiladas, so I had them both! I always start in the bar and have a beer with green chile salsa, and as the restaurant was full, we went ahead and ate there too. Charlie, the bartender/server, was awesome as she dished out good food and a bit of sass! I understand Lupe (Chope’s wife) is still helping in the kitchen (she’s well into her 90’s), and while the food has changed a bit, it still beats just about anything around. Chope left a great legacy where a wide variety of people are united by their love of the food.

If you are anywhere near La Mesa, do yourself a favor and drop by and indulge. You will be glad you did!