“Good food, terrible service”
Review of NM Grille & Bar - CLOSED

NM Grille & Bar
Price range: US$8 - US$30
Cuisines: American, International
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Tom, Jerean, and their son Christopher have teamed up to bring a new and exciting dining and lodging experience to Old Mesilla and the Mesilla Valley. The family has a rich history as the owners of the historic La Posta De La Mesilla, one of the oldest and most recognized restaurants in the southwest, dating back to 1939. With the acquisition of the Hacienda de Mesilla Grille, Inn & Cantina, the Hutchinsons believe visitors to Mesilla will enjoy the comfort and elegance of a stay in a southwestern Hacienda, while being just steps from enjoying the history and culture of Old Mesilla. The Hacienda Inn, Grille & Cantina is uniquely designed to offer an inviting, relaxed atmosphere where guests can enjoy a casual, yet elegant dining experience. Dine in our more formal Grille Room or in the casual atmosphere of the Hacienda Cantina indoors or outdoors, with spectacular views from the Cantina Terrace.
Reviewed 15 February 2014

It is one of my pet peeves when I go to a nice restaurant (or even a bad one for that matter) and the server greets us by complaining that she is too busy to give us good service. My wife and I went for a Valentine's dinner. The waitress told us she was "slammed". She had six tables she was serving. They were offering a fixed price menu which most people chose so I can't see why it was so difficult. She brought us our main course before the appetizer or salad. When we told her we hadn't gotten our salad or appetizer yet, she just pushed the dinner plates off to the side and said she would be back with the other things. I told her (Restaurant 101) that I wanted the dinner sent back to the kitchen until we were ready for it. We weren't even done with the salad when the dinner plates returned. It was obviously the same plates and they hadn't even been put under a warmer. The meal was a steak and lobster which were both cold. The plates were just thrown in front of us. I saw a woman who was obviously the manager (? owner) walking around and explained what was going on. She took the plates away and told us she would bring us fresh food (which she did). While we were sitting waiting for our main course the waitress just dropped off dessert. I really don't think it is too much to ask to get meals in the proper order. At one point I had my empty water glass sitting on the end of the table for 40 minutes before someone filled it even though I asked for more water twice. The manager did give us a free bottle of wine but then proceeded to make excuses for the waitress. She told us this waitress is one of her best servers and blamed our bad service on another table which she claimed was "needy" and took up too much of the waitress' time. That table was in front of us and I couldn't see that they took any extra time.

8  Thank John M

Reviewed 8 February 2014

We went here for an anniversary dinner (our 49th) after a friend recommended it. We had to go early because of other commitments that evening, so we had the dining room to ourselves. Mew wife had the Lamb lollipops and I ordered the Veal Marsala, and we each had an excellent, inexpensive glass of Malbec. The entrees were VERY good, and we would recommend both dishes highly. We also received a complimentary Creme Brulee for desert, and it was absolutely wonderful. The total check was approximately $75 for this excellent meal. We'll certainly go back there again. Our sever was delightful during the entire time we were there. The Meson de Mesilla also has a newly completed outdoor patio with a beautiful view of our Organ mountains which will accommodate as many as 200 patrons.

1  Thank twarren42
Reviewed 17 December 2013

We recently had a luncheon for our office group. There happened to be another group also having a luncheon the same day. However, it didn't matter. The service and food were excellent. Everyone received their meals at the same time and there was not a long waiting period.
My husband and myself had dinner there In the past and also experienced an excellent meal and service. We will go there again. It is now one of our favorite places for dinner.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

We have watched this place through several reincarnations, and now that we have eaten here again, we hope it stays. The food was excellent. Living in Las Cruces doesn't present many options for high end dining but this one fills the bill. We had dinner and I had the Lollipop lamb chops and carmelized onion mashed potatoes. They were delicious, only comment would be that for the priceI would like to have had more lamb chops. I would recommend that Las Crucens give this place another try. We looked over the less expensive simpler lunch menu and it has some possibilities. I would like to see a little more variety though.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

This place has had several ownership changes in recent years so we were curious about the latest incarnation. So glad we went; it's our new local favorite. We opted to sit in the bar for drinks and apps or a light dinner, so we could enjoy the sun setting on the Organ Mountains. There are lots of new tvs in the bar, which is not what we're interested in, so it was nice that we could sit perpendicular to the tvs and enjoy a focus on the view out the large picture windows. We'd have sat on the lovely patio outside at a cooler time of year. Anna was a great server as out lite meal turned into many courses as each dish was just fabulous and left us wondering if we wanted more of the same or something even tastier was on the menu. The smoked chili lime wings were a treat. Hearty smoking added depth to the lively chili and lime. The mussels were some of the best ever - even compared to mussels in Belgium. They were cooked perfectly and we sopped and soaked just about every drop of the garlic/wine/butter sauce from the bowl. Side salads with vanilla champagne vinigarette were a pleasant lighter course; a mix of greens and chopped veggies and fruits. We both rarely choose anything other than blue cheese dressing but were glad this dressing was an option. The chicken involtino was the most surprisingly great entree. We dont usually ordered chicken entrees but the combination of chicken, sausage, cheese, and mushrooms sounded better than usual and we were not disappointed. The dish was lightly toasted on the outside and dense and rich inside with a hearty mushroom cream sauce. We'd go back just to have that again. Good selection of wines by the glass, including a good mix of dry reds. We tried several and decided the Tuscano was our favorite even if not the top price point. When we arrived, we were the only ones in the bar area. Several more groups came in across the unhurried dinner. More folks made us realize how thoughtful the uncrowded table spacing was for guests. It was so nice not to have the server's backside in your face as they served another table. On our way out, we saw the same thoughtful spacing in the more elegant main dining room. Before leaving, we also toured the rooftop bar and pool area, which were closed but looked very inviting for future visits. We will be back and already encouraged friends who enjoy a quiet, quality dinner to go soon to Meson de Mesilla.