“Decent hotel stay for one night, check out the railroad”

Best Western Mission Inn
Ranked #7 of 33 Hotels in Las Cruces
Laredo, Texas
“Decent hotel stay for one night, check out the railroad”
Reviewed 20 June 2008

I was doing a one-way roadtrip between Ventura County in California and Houston, Texas to deliver my daughter and a car to college. Las Cruces is almost exactly at the halfway mark, so we could do this in a two day trip. The last time I had done this same roadtrip, I had stayed in El Paso, which turned out to have one of the highest hotel tax rates I've ever seen. I picked Las Cruces for its slightly lower hotel tax rates, which are still over 12% or more total (I forget the exact number).

Of the Las Cruces hotels, I picked the Best Western Mission Inn because it was one of the cheapest hotels listed (AAA gave a price of $72.89) that still had decent online reviews.

The first thing I noticed as we drove into town was that all of the hotels in Las Cruces are fairly small and old looking. I think they must have all been refurbished at one time or another.

There is a railroad that runs along the Main Street of Las Cruces, and so all of the hotels located on Main Street, like this one, will feel the effects of the train coming by.

I had read something about the train being a problem in one of the reviews, but chose to ignore it. When I got there and I saw how the tracks were right across the street, I was more concerned and asked the clerk for a room in the back, and he was able to accommodate us, as we were coming in on a light weekday with no big local events going on.

At around 8 PM, when we sat down for dinner at the hotel restaurant (located at the front of the hotel near the check-in desk), this train came by and blew its whistle. The whistle was loud enough to almost make me jump out of my seat. I didn't hear any more trains that night, fortunately. However, I am not sure what the local train schedule is or whether the train operators have any noise rules about coming through town in the middle of the night. Staying in the back part of the hotel is probably not enough to avoid hearing that train whistle.

So if you are concerned about this train issue, and you are planning to stay in any of the hotels on Main Street in Las Cruces, you need to check with those hotels about this potential problem.

The hotel restaurant got rave reviews from several reviewers, but was only decent, not as good as a chain restaurant like Denny's or Applebees. Several reviews mentioned the $4.95 breakfast chit that comes with the hotel room rate and this was enough to get you a good hot breakfast of the eggs/omlet and hash brown and sausage/bacon variety. My scrambled eggs came with a few chips of egg shells thrown in for authenticity. Oh well, the calcium is good for you.

The rooms were clean and good sized. Some reviews have mentioned that other hotels in the area had smaller rooms, and so this is a plus for this hotel.

The beds were nice and clean and comfortable (we got two queen sized beds), the air conditioning worked, the TV had a few cable channels on it, and there is Internet access at the front-desk area (and supposedly in the rooms also, although we did not have a computer with us to check).

Many reviews have mentioned that this is an older hotel. I wasn't exactly sure what this meant, since it seemed like all of the Las Cruces hotels must have been refurbished at one time or another.

This hotel has obviously been refurbished also, but where its age shows up is mainly in the bathroom. The commode is the older and smaller round style (American butts have gotten much larger these days, and almost all new housing and hotels now come with the larger oval bowls and seats) and so is the sink, which is the older small round style. The bathroom in general is small, and has no fan for venting, only a window. The bathtub and shower curtains were nicely done over, though.

Overall, this was a decent stay for one night, reasonable for the price. I think I might go nuts if I had to stay in this hotel for longer, but I'm not sure that there's anything better in Las Cruces for this price.

• Liked — Clean rooms, nice beds
  • Disliked — Small, older style bathroom
  • Stayed May 2008
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed 6 May 2008

A nice and orderly place to stay. Nothing SPECIAL but the rooms were ok, the decoration partly in Mexican style and a remarkable breakfast. You can access the internet in the lobby.

• Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
Bay Area, California
Reviewed 25 April 2008

We stayed here for 5 nights. It includes breakfast. Hotel is a bit older, but clean. Front desk was very polite and helpful. There is a restaurant on site and a lounge.

• Stayed April 2008, travelled on business
Monroe, Michigan
Reviewed 16 January 2008

This hotel is in a decent location - close to the highway and NMSU. However, it is in an older part of town which is not kept up as well as other parts of Las Cruces. There was never more than one person working at the front desk, so there was usually a wait if you needed anything. When we attempted to check in, the staff member answered two phone calls before he even offered to help us. Very frustrating after traveling for 7 hours. The hotel and rooms were neat and clean. It's obviously an older motel, but they've done a nice job maintaining it. The decor is Southwest style, which is a nice change from the generic chain hotels. Beds were comfortable and rooms were fairly spacious. There is a train track nearby and the trains are VERY loud. We only heard one or two trains a day, sometimes in the middle of the night.

There is a free breakfast in the motel restaurant. You receive a ticket for each guest, good for $4.95 in the restaurant. The buffet and 95% of the menu items are covered under this price. The food was very good, service was fast and friendly.

Housekeeping was great the first morning. However, the second morning, the housekeeper did not leave any bath towels. We didn't realize this until early the following morning, upon waking. When we called the front desk, he said "Just come to the desk and get them." In our pajamas? Then when we got there, he only had ONE bath towel available (for two people).

Even with the nice decor and good breakfast, I would probably stay elsewhere next time I visited Las Cruces.

• Liked — Decor, room size, breakfast
  • Disliked — motel staff
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with family
Montana
Reviewed 11 January 2008

We loved this motel. The furniture was adobe, southwestern style throughout the room. The bed had a down comforter and great pillows. We had a large dressing room and a nice bath area. The floors were tile which gave you more of an authentic southwestern fill. The free breakfast was astounding. You could order anything on the menu which consisted of standard American dishes to traditional Mexican plates. We loved it and left full and happy. Highly recommend this place.

• Liked — The room's atmosphere
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
San Diego
Reviewed 3 January 2008

I stayed with my wife and 2 kids (3 and 7) on my way through Las Cruces - one night on our way east and one night on our way west. We enjoyed our stay both nights. The rooms were clean and spacious and beds were comfortable. We also enjoyed the restaurant for dinner and breakfast both times. The food was good to above average (we enjoyed the food better on our first stay) and the service we received was very friendly and competent. It was great to have a decent restaurant on-site so we did not have to hop in the car again with the kids after a long day of driving.

Internet access on our first stay was pretty bad in Room 103. Apparently, they subsequently upgraded their wireless access to provide better coverage in all the rooms. Internet was fine the second time.

We got a AAA rate of $82 (including tax) which included a full cooked breakfast and I found this to be an excellent value.

• Liked — Big rooms and full breakfast included in rate
  • Disliked — Internet was weak on one visit in Room 103
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
Phoenix
Reviewed 1 January 2008

Older hotel that almost put us off with the antiseptic smell from something used to clean the floor. But, the room aired out, it was comfortable and large, the front desk staff was friendly and helpful. Room service is available, but we went to the restaurant and got good food and service, very reasonably priced. The next morning, even though we exceeded our $4.95 breakfast vouchers, we were not charged extra. There is no fitness room, but guests have privileges at a nearby health club, which we didn't try. Is it the Ritz? Of course not. But for a one-night stay on a road trip, it is just great and you can't beat the price.

• Liked — On-site restaruant, well-priced accommodations
  • Disliked — Strong chemical smell in room, probably from what maids use to clean the floors.
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple