“Owners Give Personal Attention”
Review of The Big Chile Inn

The Big Chile Inn
Ranked #19 of 33 Hotels in Las Cruces
Kansas City, Missouri
“Owners Give Personal Attention”
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Three of us stayed there four nights. We had adjoining rooms on the second level overlooking the Koi pond. One of the owners personally escorted us to the rooms--as they do for all guests. They brought us chips and salsa. The trip was personal, sad, and stressful because of a family issue. At the end of each day, I relaxed returning to the room, letting the doors stand open in the spring weather and watching the Koi. The courtyard area is imaginatively planted and scrupulously maintained by the owners. The Koi pond is beautiful. The rooms aren't luxury and the facility is older. However all was clean and comfortable. Forget your wine bottle opener? They have it. We called upon them several times for comfort items. I personally loved the fluffy towels in bright colors. There is a modest breakfast bar. The owners, the Koi, the grounds and the spacious rooms made a real difference for us. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: If you can tote your own luggage up a flight of stairs, I recommend the second level with courtyard...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank soderkirk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

This hotel is owned by an Aussie man and Asian woman, and they have brought pieces of themselves to the property. The courtyard is an Australian-inspired garden with a big Koi fish statue, and the world's largest chili pepper statue is on the front parking lot. The owners are very friendly as well. Aside from that, the hotel is a typical America's Best Inn - older rooms, but clean and comfortable. It was a different kind of experience. I enjoyed staying here.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank dbgt8401
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I thought when I saw the big chili pepper in the parking lot that I was in for something tacky. Not at all! The owner sent her daughter (?) to the room while I checked in. Then she personally took me to the room where the girl had turned the lights, air conditioning and TV on -- very welcoming. She gave me a complementary bottle of water (great after driving across the desert all day). Then she brought a plate of chips and salsa to the room. I have never felt so relaxed after a long day. The grounds are full of little surprises, gardens, statuettes. The inner courtyard is peaceful and overlooks a koi pond. The building is old, obviously, which means things like there are no outlets in the bathroom area -- none! So I used my curling iron in the bedroom. But SUPER CLEAN, and everyone is friendly. When my son came to pick me up, we did a tour to find a smiling buddha, the koi, the gazebo, the pool. He even liked it! If you want fancy luxury, it won't work, but if you want a clean, inexpensive place to relax with pleasant people eager to make you feel welcome, this is it.

Room Tip: I'd ask for one inside because it's right on a busy motel road. The only problem with getti...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Eugenia P
Fairbanks, Alaska
Reviewed 10 April 2014

This was my second stay at Big Chile. This time I stayed 3 nights. Upon arrival, after an exhaustive day of travel and stress, my reservation could not be found. It turns out I had accidentally booked with the OTHER America's Best. No worries, the owners figured it out and called the other hotel and cancelled for us. Bottled water and a big plate of chips and salsa delivered to our room.

This trip was not for fun or pleasure, just the opposite. We all came to see my dying father. Dave and his wife went out of their way to make our stay at their hotel stress free and showed us great compassion.

Everything is clean and tidy in the rooms and the breakfast area well stocked. I never got the gross out feeling you sometimes get in older hotels. And the interior garden area....I love it! This hotel shows the hard work the owners put into it.

I did not give 5 stars because it IS an older place so don't go expecting the Ritz!

I recommend it!

Room Tip: The owners will show you the room before so you can decide. I like the rooms facing the garden/ cou...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank lvcreed
Lewes, DE
Reviewed 10 April 2014

My husband and I and our small dog had the pleasure of staying at this fun motel in early March. It was very reasonably priced and the proprietors were extremely accommodating. We were offered soft drinks and chips and salsa upon arrival and shown personally to our room. We enjoyed our walk around the motel grounds with the lovely desert gardens, koi pond and giant chili. The motel lobby is colorful and relaxing and a very nice place to enjoy your complimentary breakfast. While the rooms are modest, they are comfortable and we enjoyed a good night's sleep. We were not expecting "luxury" at this price point. I would say this motel is a labor of love and it appears the owners are still working on it here and there. We would definitely stay there again should we find ourselves in Las Cruces.

Room Tip: Ask for room facing the courtyard/garden area. Also try the High Desert Brewing Company for if you l...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank surfandturf65
Missouri
Reviewed 6 April 2014

No need to write a review, just read the terrible and poor reviews on here , they all hit it right on.However, since I have to use at least 200 characters, here goes. The owner is nice and did give us a good tip on where to go for dinner.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

We always feel welcomed here with a free soda or water,and chips and salsa upon our arrival. The family who runs the motel are very warm and welcoming. Our room was clean with brightly colored coverlets and no chemical smells. Good breakfast in a comfortable dining area or, if it's warm enough, dine outside in the gazebo near the coy pond. I will stay whenever I'm in Las Cruces: 5 stars

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business