“wonderful hospitality”
Review of The Big Chile Inn

The Big Chile Inn
Ranked #21 of 34 Hotels in Las Cruces
Reviewed 23 June 2014

After looking for a place to stay one night and not wanting to spend a fortune I found this hotel. What a surprise it was #2 on Tripadvisor. I have stayed before at the Springhill Suites in Las Cruces. Of course it is a Marriott. But I didn't want to pay well over $100 for just passing through. This met all our needs. The owner was at the desk and was very charming. He and his wife are all over the place and make it a personal experience. Our room was very comfortable. I wasn't used to the old style key lock but all hotels had them for many many years. We had a microwave, refrigerator and flat panel TV. There was tons of counter space for toiletries/make up etc.The bed was very comfortable. There was a charming tropical area, pool and BBQ in the center of the property. Of course the chile pepper out front made it easy to find. It was easy to get to from I-10. I have to say driving up it didn't look like a #2 in Las Cruces place. the breakfast in the spacious lobby was simple but plenty for us for our last day back to Tucson. The two large fish tanks were nice to watch.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank garybgomez

Reviewed 17 June 2014

This place is cheap but very very nice. Super clean, amazing staff and a nice room! The grounds are very kitschy in an awesome way and my little son loves exploring the grounds, especially the koi pond!

First impressions can be a little deceiving as this is just another hotel from the road, except there is a GIANT PEPPER out front. The largest in the world apparently.

The owners take a great deal of pride in this place, so do yourself a favor, save some money over the other expensive places in town and stay here! You won't be disappointed!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank LeenieAZ
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

We had the privilege of staying here while waiting for truck repairs. The owners were on site and available to take care of our needs. They are friendly and knowledgeable about the area. We were shown to our room to make sure everything was just right. The room was very clean and comfortable. There is a pool and gazebo for outdoor fun. The decorations are eclectic with an outback flair. Overall, just a really nice place to stay.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Toni C
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Owner and staff were fabulous/ personable. The grounds were a stunning oasis! Next time - I will plan to use the grill and really ENJOY the beautiful space. I appreciated their attention to security, as it did not appear to be the greatest part of town - but was made very comfortable. The rooms were older and eclectic - which I like. If you want fancy, new hotel stuff - you might be disappointed. If you want superb service, a beautiful setting and a great value (and if you like eclectic) stay here.

Room Tip: I liked my room on the 2nd floor looking over the center gardens/ courtyard and koi pond.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Bambi B
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stayed here based on Trip Advisor comments and we were not disappointed. Don't be alarmed by the big chili in front of the hotel, the gardens and koi pond in the back is a beautiful setting after a long day of driving. The owner, David, was gracious and was very helpful in suggesting a place for dinner. A real value for the money.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the courtyard.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank scrappy06
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Chose this hotel from reading TA reviews. This location is a "motel" not a hotel. It is an older property. Check-in went smoothly with the owner. He was very personable. He had area maps available and told us how to get the university. We had a first floor room facing the courtyard. The courtyard had a barbque grill, table and chairs and a pool. Room was clean and had a tv, refrigerator and decent beds. (The motel is in dire need of some renovations even if it is one room at a time.) The price was reasonable - around $65 at that time. Would I stay here again?- probably not. I am spoiled and like a little more out of my hotel/motel stays. BUT, there is nothing wrong with this place for a a night or two when on a budget. Wish I got some salsa and chips...

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 May 2014

The garden piazza in the back is a complete surprise and the crowning jewel in the hotel. I saw the cheesiest big chili in the front, which for some reason just simply works--sorta on the level of the really big pistachio I also saw not too far from here. The room was average, if not a little less than since there was no coffee maker. You had to request a blow dryer. But you did get a small plastic plate of chips and salsa delivered to your room upon check-in. I think, basically, it was the atmosphere and quirkiness of the hotel and its management that garnered this five-star rating. It came with breakfast, which in any higher dollar hotel would've been complaint worthy, but again, here it just seemed to work. I would return to this hotel, despite this rather odd review.

Room Tip: Make sure you are near the garden area.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple