“Nice, short hike.”

28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“Nice, short hike.”
Reviewed 30 August 2013

I enjoyed this park. The difference between national parks and national wildlife refuges is the amount of people who visit (few at the NWR). There was no water in the lakes, however the area received over 5 inches of rain in July so hopefully they have some water now. There was a short, about a mile long, hike that took you into a canyon and above where there are some old homesteader ruins. I liked the hike so much I returned a second time. No one else on the trail, very quiet and peaceful. Wildlife spotted: a collared lizard and a rattlesnake. I went during the week so both times the visitor center was open. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

Visited July 2013

Las Vegas, New Mexico
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“LVNWR”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

The refuge sits on the flyway just east of the Rocky Mountains, and harbors a huge variety of waterfowl and eagles during migration. When there isn't a drought. Check the Friends website for events: www.flvnwr.org

Visited June 2013
1 Thank JoRita83
New Mexico
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Wildlife refuge -- little wildlife because no water”
Reviewed 22 April 2013

We went on a weekend when the visitor center was not open, so can't say anything about that. I assume it will be open sometime in May. All lakes are bone dry. Little wildlife. A few birds, but hardly worth the trip.

Visited April 2013
Santa Fe, New Mexico
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“The refuge was bone dry.”
Reviewed 31 March 2013

There is no water there anymore. It's bone dry from the drought. After hiking for an hour, we saw 4 meadowlarks and 4 Say's phoebes, which you can see in any desert. There was no other life, beyond the insects they were eating.

Too bad the feds who run this NWR can't see their way clear to warn the public that "there is no there, there" before they take the long car trip out just to see it. I wish we had seen the one trip review here that mentioned the problem before we wasted our day on it.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Chaya7777
Albuquerque, New Mexico
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Pretty Scenic Hiking”
Reviewed 16 March 2013

I quite enjoyed the friendly, helpful, and informative Park Rangers at the Wildlife Refuge building. From engaging my son with fun facts about nature, to lending us binoculars and nature species identifying books. Would love to bring people visiting me here in the future, I know they would love the experience as much as I did.

Visited March 2013