“Hidden Gem”

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Las Vegas
Denver, Colorado
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed 5 May 2014

My wife and I arrived with smiles and employees that look like they enjoy working there. Room was comfortable, and warm the view of the park was wonderful. We spent two days and enjoyed every minute of our time at the hotel. The manager was wonderful (joe) He kept asking us how our stay was going and had wonderful insight of the town Great history buff. The food I have to say was FANTASTIC. The service was perfect, If I could have eaten more I would have just to talk to the wonderful people coming and going. Looks like alot of the locals hang out thier to, so you get plunty of historical and local information

When we drove back home to Denver we said we will be returning to the hidden gem.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bill w
Kami P, Manager at Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Thank you for staying at our charming jewel The Plaza Hotel in Las Vegas NM .We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience with us and look forward to welcome you back soon when you take a dedicated vacation to Las Vegas NM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
St. Catharines, Canada
Reviewed 4 May 2014

My husband & I recently travelled through New Mexico and spent one night at the Plaza on April 8. What a great old hotel. We loved the spaciousness of our room, the Victorian elegance & the friendliness of the staff. Truly fantastic to see an old hotel flourishing when so many across the country have fallen to ruin or been torn down. Apparently Las Vegas is a popular film location, and the hotel has also enjoyed the benefit of celebrity visits. We explored the town, spent some time in the hotel bar chatting it up with the locals, and enjoyed a fabulous dinner in the Plaza dining room. Slept great in our room, and woke refreshed to move on to our next destination. While checking out that morning the front desk receptionist relayed that the hotel was gearing up for a full nite with film crews and stars of a TV series featuring Lou Diamond Phillips. We wished them well, expressed our pleasure with our stay and left for southern New Mexico. Upon reaching our destination for April 9, I realized when retrieving our luggage that I had left a travel bag behind in our room at the Plaza. It contained most of my toiletries, and all of my jewellery in two antique travel boxes that had belonged to my grandmother, which have significant sentimental value to me. I almost panicked, but upon taking a breath, I could picture where I had left the case sitting on the bed in room 222 of the Plaza. I e-mailed them immediately. By the following morning there was no response, so I phoned. I spoke to someone named Ashley, who was clearly very busy with a full hotel that morning. However busy she might have been, I did not expect the brusqueness and quick, unconcerned response to my loss. She didn't even listen to me as I described the case, & in a flippant, over the shoulder query to someone, presumably cleaning staff who just happened to be standing there when I called, announced that 'nope, nothing was found'. End of conversation. No assurances of looking into it. No asking for a description of the case or it's contents. Not even providing the illusion of being remotely concerned with following thru with customer service or offering a 'sorry for your loss'. It seemed we were history as far the hotel was concerned. After the call ended, I decided to try e-mailing the hotel again, explaining the importance of some the contents to me, expressing my understanding of how busy they were that day with celebrities, but asking for them to take a second look. No response. About a week later I e-mailed once again, stating that it would have been nice to receive at least a courtesy reply my messages, even if the case had not been located. No response to that either. My possessions are gone beyond hope of retrieval - I realize that - but the way this situation was handled by hotel staff has left us cold, and unfortunately tainted our entire experience in Las Vegas. It's no longer about our visit to the lovely Historic Plaza Hotel, but now when looking at our pictures it's all about my loss that no one in this hotel seemed to care less about. We won't be returning, but I hear there's another old railway hotel being refurbished in Las Vegas. I suggest going there instead.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank leatherandharry
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

The Plaza was really cool! We loved our room. Everything was clean and in working order.
The restaurant was nice and the food was good. The breakfasts were great, you should try the waffles!
Staff was very nice and helpful.
Only negative was that I did not see the ghost!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Kami P, Manager at Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Lovely historic hotel facing the park in the center of the Plaza for nice views. Excellent restaurant and breakfast- real breakfast- is included with your room- as is free wifi. Antique stores, local art co-op and other restaurants in walking distance.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Kami P, Manager at Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Trinidad, Colorado
Reviewed 18 April 2014

This hotel is a historical site right on the old town plaza of Las Vegas, New Mexico. The old town plaza has the style of the plazas from the Spanish colonial period. The Plaza Hotel sits right across from it. The room was clean and tidy. The staff were young and generally helpful with things. I was allowed to park in the back of the hotel by the kitchen. Las Vegas had a reputation for an outlaw hangout and a real New Mexican presence in the 1880s.

The bar at night was probably the most happening spot in old town. Most of the clientele were locals and a few college students from Highlands University down the street. The music was standard cover tunes, and the local crowd loved it and sang along. The bar service was good. The breakfast, next morning, and included in the hotel price, was also good. I got served a lot of coffee from the friendly wait staff. The place was good all around. The place is not the economical side, but for a once and a lifetime stop in historical, old town, Las Vegas, New Mexico - this is the place to stay at and hang out at. I stayed in the haunted room 310 too. Nothing happened. I guess the ghost was having a grand time downstairs in the Plaza bar.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank James F
Kami P, Manager at Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Thank you for staying at our charming jewel The Plaza Hotel in Las Vegas NM .We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience, the food, the bar of the hotel and acknowledge our team member efforts. We can't wait to welcome you back soon when you drive through Las Vegas NM. Hopefully next time you can meet Byron while you stay in room 310.
highlands Ranch Co
Reviewed 5 April 2014

We were passing through Las Vegas and needed a place to stay. This hotel had the best reviews on trip advisor. I'm not really sure why. It is in bad need of an update. Beds and furniture were kind of gross. The free morning breakfast was pretty bad and very slow. We made the best of it, focusing on the fun of staying in a haunted hotel. The people that work there are friendly and try hard. But on our way back through Las Vegas at the end of our trip a few days later, we stayed at the Holiday Inn Express right off 25 which is a much better choice.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank 881mary
Kami P, Manager at Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are sorry to hear that you didn't have the best time and that you had to go somewhere else to stay. We hope you give us another chance next time you are visiting Las Vegas NM
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 20 March 2014

The picture every one had of their rooms were lovely everyone else(7) had a nice stay. That was not my experience. I had exactly the opposite . I describe my room in detail below. Dark on an air shaft facing another room had to keep drapes closed. I have travelled to many Country's , not just, Europe but most of Asia as well. I have never been more depressed as by this tiny room. I expected something different. Since the client booked this Hotel I did not want to make a fuss.. I did not want to spend a penny, or another unnecessary moment in the Hotel so I dined else wear.

Room Tip: I was there on business with colleagues(7) who all thought their rooms were lovely all had views of...