“Just a little too sleepy for me”

Mama Lisa's Ghost Town Kitchen and No Pity Cafe
Cuisines: American, Southwestern
Description: This is a small place right in the middle of Madrid, NM, and was recommended to us by a resident of Madrid. The food was incredible. Fine dining in the $7-11 range, and a very casual atmosphere. I would love to write a review.
Dallas, Texas
“Just a little too sleepy for me”
Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

It's just okay, the kindest thing I can say. It's somebody's dream. I found it dreary and slow...even for Madrid, and we've been back to see if it improves...which it doesn't to us. There just isn't enough of oh wow for us to come back. Tragic be ause the other choices are pretty bar like to us in town. Not enough choices as well. Sorry

Visited July 2013
2 Thank CliveWatkins

Westport, CT
“Quirky, fun and delicious”
Reviewed 25 July 2013

My husband, daughter and I had a wonderful lunch at Mama Lisa's. True, there was no bathroom inside, so we had to use the public port-o-san behind the restaurant which only had hand sanitizer -- no water -- but that was because of a severe local drought, so there was very little water to be had anywhere. To me, that was not a negative factor in reviewing this restaurant.

What we found was: an eclectic and imaginative menu, including interesting vegetarian options (not a given in meat-predominated New Mexican cooking), freshly prepared ingredients, delicious ice-cold blueberry and rose syrup-infused lemonade, friendly service and fair prices. My daughter and I had a squash and pumpkin-seed enchilada that was fantastic!

Madrid is fun and funky little town, and this restaurant is a great place to stop, cool your heels and eat well.

• Visited July 2013
San Francisco
“Can't wash hands in outdoor bathroom. No water. No Hand Sanitizer.”
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I am not sure about New Mexico's health law but this restaurant needs to be checked for health law violation for sure. The restroom is outside, a portable toilet. There was no water or hand sanitizer to wash hands. I do not know if the employees use the same facility or not but we the customer do open doors, touch chairs, tables, door knobs, etc. after using the "facility".

Food came fast. Fish Taco was horrible. They do not know how to deconstruct dried Bacalhau. It takes more than 24 hours of preparation. The result in this place was stringy mess for the fish and about a million years old taco shell to go with it. The soup of the day was sweet potato and grilled pepper. It was fantastic. The home made hot sauce was even better and these two together was delicious. However, the place is for sale and unless the new owner actually installs a bathroom with facility to wash hands, I will not take my chance of giong here.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank Purobi
Boston
“Slow service, slightly odd place”
Reviewed 21 April 2013

We didn't want to go to the Mine Shaft, so we chose one of the few other eateries in town. The No Pity Cafe looks appealing, cozy with an eclectic menu. But the poor woman running the place literally was by herself, as server and cook, and it took about an hour to get our simple salads and sandwiches. Avoid if there is ANYBODY in the place. Chipotle chicken salad was tasty, but hardly worth the wait.

Visited April 2013
2 Thank Marco2008
Centerville, Ohio
1,765 restaurant reviews
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 4,149 helpful votes
“requires something special to persuade traveler’s to venture in the front door.”
Reviewed 19 October 2012

Mama Lisa’s Ghost Town Kitchen is one of a very few “restaurants” in Madrid, NM. Madrid is the largest town on the beautiful Tortoise Trail, an alternative route from Albuquerque to Santa Fe.

Mama Lisa’s Ghost Town Kitchen requires something special to persuade traveler’s to venture in the front door. Once inside, Mama Lisa’s Ghost Town Kitchen is a beautiful decorated restaurant with carpet and nicely designed tables. And yes, plastic is accepted. The quality of Mama Lisa’s Ghost Town Kitchen is really as nice as any casual Santa Fe restaurant.

The two young men (cook and server) could not have been nicer. The Tex-Mex menu is included; however, a great salad, soup, and sandwich menu is preferred once a tourist has two-three days of Tex-Mex.

The abundant window tables provide neat views of a potted flower garden. Gourmet desserts abound. When asked, the server replied “go with the carrot cake; she makes it from scratch.” My wife had to have a slice and bring the rest home.

We looked at the competition, and Mama Lisa’s Ghost Town Kitchen won hands down. There seems to be no spirits on the menu, but there may be “spirits” roaming.

The tariff is appropriate for the fare.

• Visited October 2012