“Food is so so”

Mama Lisa's Ghost Town Kitchen and No Pity Cafe
Cuisines: American, Southwestern
Description: This is a small place right in the middle of Madrid, NM, and was recommended to us by a resident of Madrid. The food was incredible. Fine dining in the $7-11 range, and a very casual atmosphere. I would love to write a review.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Food is so so”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We stopped by for a late lunch. No one came to door to greet us. Finally a lady came and spoke to us about the menu. We ordered a Pulled Pork BBQ sandwich and a Butter Nut Quesadilla. I asked the waitress for water assuming we would get iced water in glasses. Yet she brought 2 bottled waters at $2.50 each! The total bill was $29.00. The food was nothing to brag about. We were the only people there aside from 2 ladies who came in after we did. Needed less to say, I was very disappointed. Also, no bathroom on site is a grave concern! Where do they wash their hands?

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Kiana K

Manitou Springs, Colorado
“Service is pitiful”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Don't eat here if you have special dietary needs. Would love to rate the food but couldn't eat it. Asked the waiter for no bread since I'm gluten free and he said it comes with. He refused (not just forgot) to leave it off or even put it on a side plate. My eggs potatoes and bacon were covered in bread crumbs. Service was pitiful. Maybe that's what they're going for at this pitiful cafe.

• Visited May 2014
Madrid, New Mexico
“Always Delicious!”
Reviewed 1 April 2014

As a Madrid resident I eat here at least once a week. There are always a variety of excellent options. I'm a picky vegetarian and there is always something amazing for me on the menu. The menu changes daily so you never know what you might find but there is almost always at least one vegan soup and entree in addition to several creative gourmet salads. Even if you aren't veggie the vegan soups are delicious. Some of my favorites that they make from time to time are the African Sweet Potato & Peanut Soup, Broccoli & Almond Soup, Kale & Potato Soup, and the Cream of Crimini Mushroom (sometimes made with regular milk, sometimes with almond milk). Other interesting entrees I have enjoyed are the Roasted Brussels Sprout Tacos (SOOOOOO good!!!), the Butternut Squash Tacos, Quinoa Stuffer Acorn Squash, Green Curry with Cashews, oh, I go go on and on. And these are just a few examples that I can think of off the top of my head. Of course there are a large variety of meat based entrees as well and my friends have raved about how good they are but I can't speak on that first hand. The deserts are always good, if your meal leaves you full get your desert to go. I'm a big fan of the lemon bars :)

Yes, the hours do vary. If it's a slow day they may close early. Also, they are only open for lunch, usually from 10:00ish-3:00ish. If you are coming from Santa Fe specifically to eat here it is best to call in advance. They close for January and February too as that is the slow season. Credit cards are accepted now, they weren't in the past.

To those concerned about the bathroom situation, it's Madrid, we have no public sewer, this is a real deal small town in the desert, life is a little different out here. Between being in a drought in the desert and being a coal mining town there are a lot of water issues. Water really is our most precious resource and there is not much of it, what little we have requires heavy filtration, we can't afford to just flush it away. There is always hand sanitizer available and if there is none at the time just ask, more will be provided for you, I can say this with certainty. This is just how it is in our little town :)

• Visited March 2014
Lancaster, PA
“Ecletic?”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Stopped here on our drive thru the Turquoise Trail........heavy on vegan choices....and no Coke products.....also no rest room here and apparently the entire town uses porta-potties up the street---just like the miners!?

• Visited October 2013
Atlanta, Georgia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Delicious Food!”
Reviewed 17 September 2013

I really enjoyed eating at this restaurant. The atmosphere was simple and quaint; however, it was the the aroma's that drew us in along with the diverse menu for a small desert town. I do not eat bar food or fried processed food. I love homemade, fresh food and that is what they delivered... I had the vegetarian curry lentil spinach soup and sandwich which was awesome and my husband had the pulled pork sandwich and chili which was even better. I typically don't eat dessert, but decided since the food was so good. We split a piece of strawberry rhubarb pie with a scoop of homemade honey vanilla ice creme and it was worth every calorie! The staff was super cool and we will DEFINITELY eat there again on our next shopping visit to Madrid!!

• Visited September 2013