“Could NOT accommodate an early arrival!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Inn of the Mountain Gods Resort & Casino

Inn of the Mountain Gods Resort & Casino
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mescalero
El Paso, Texas
“Could NOT accommodate an early arrival!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

I booked the hotel online and specified an early arrival at 10 am. When I got there, I was told that there are NO early arrivals! I wished that someone would have called or emailed me after I made the reservation online.

We got there at 10:30 am and were not given a room till 3pm. My kids were exhausted!! They told me to check back at 12 and then at 1 and at 2. I went back and checked at 2:40 and still I was told they had no clean rooms. I am sure that they can not expect me to believe this. So un-professional, I had never experienced this ever! I have stayed in quite a few hotels, Cheap and Expensive, But I had never been told that there was not one room cleaned, but at 3 pm, we got our room.

At 10 am early the next day I heard the housekeeping team vacuuming the room next to us! I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT THERE WERE ROOMS AVAILABLE!! They just chose to NOT give us a room! Terrible service.

I would have taken off the minute that they told my room was not available if it wasn't for my kids that wanted to stay there. BIG disappointment.

Room Tip: Book a different hotel, maybe a cheaper one and drive out to the casino and use the casino and walk...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Martin C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
Alamogordo, New Mexico
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

This review is only about events at the Inn. I have never stayed at the hotel, have never played golf, and have only briefly gambled there, so I can't review any of that. I've been to a couple of shows at the Inn though. Unless you get the front, center section, I wouldn't recommend going to any shows at the Inn of the Mountain Gods. Its nothing but a conference center that they put out chairs for. All seating is on the same level so if you're too far back, you can't see above the heads of those in front of you. The chairs in each row are "stuck" together so you can't slide them a few inches apart so you're crammed in there. They also don't care about seating people after a show starts or making people stay seated during a show. We went to Cirque Ziva, a Chinese acrobatic display...great show...the rest of the experience stunk. People were being seated 15-20 minutes into the show and then people were getting up and down during the show ...big distraction. And then, who in their right mind brings a 2-year old to that type of show???? He was not a distraction to me, but the parents had to keep chasing him down so they didn't get to see much of the show themselves. I didn't feel sorry for them

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Keabu

Travellers are raving about these Mescalero hotels

Albuquerque
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

My husband tried to check in and couldnt because the reservation was in my name. The beds were very comfortable and we slept fairly will except for the noise in the hallway. The pool was very little and had more than twice the allowed amount of people that it said on the rules. There was no way to actually swim. There was tons of misquitos outside around the lake. The buffet was expensive and the crab legs were so skinny that it was hard to get the crab out. Anyway the beds were comfortable. Oh and of course it smells like cigarette smoke on the main floors because of the casino. The people at the front desk were not very friendly either.

Room Tip: The lake side would be much prettier
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Peggy G
El pado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

I made reservations for a grand suite and I checked in and went to my room, my room was a regular room not what I made reservations for I called the front desk the staff were rude so I talked to the manager she said she had to switch my room. They didn't say anything about it When I checked in or even ask if was ok to do so, it was a surprise when I walked into my room it not what I made reservations for. I don't recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed April 2014
9 Thank Stephfanie
New Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

Inn of the Mountain Gods is a beautiful resort hotel in a wonderful setting and it's well taken care of and maintained. Walking in the entrance, you are greeted by a large lobby with a magnificent view of the mountains and lake.
We called in the morning to see if we could check in early and were told rather impolitely that we would have to check back after noon to see if a room was available. The reservation person wouldn't even check to see if a room was available.
When we did arrive about 12:30, a room was available so we were able to check in early. The check in process is unique. Instead of a friendly greeting for a returning guest, we were told a list of rules regarding smoking and minibar and had to sign several things to acknowledge all this. I've never experienced that before. It was like signing a lease for an apartment.
The rooms are lovely and modern. The view of the lake from the room is terrific and had it been warmer we would have really enjoyed the balcony.
The buffet was mediocre and they are in no hurry at all to seat you. We've eaten at Wendell's before and it was very good but we didn't this time.
Service at the bar was equally slow and indifferent. We were given a menu but I didn't read the fine print which said that only certain items could be ordered after 3PM. The shrimp cocktail was excellent, however.
The casino was typical but quieter than some I've been in which was nice. I was shocked to find video poker machines with 9/6 payouts. That's really good and I more than doubled my money in the short time I played.
If the staff were properly trained on customer service and the food in the buffet was better, this would be a really nice destination.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dralbertfish
lubbock,tx
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

We are frequent gamblers (4 trips to Oklahoma casinos in last 30 days) so we know about winning and losing. I was stunned at how tight the machines of every denomination were. We never got any hits other than very small one and we spent a lot of money. Never saw anyone else winning either. It was common to put 20 dollars in a quarter or dollar machine and not get a single hit. We did not stay here but the grounds and restaurants are very good but go for the scenery and beauty not the gambling.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Texas_Bubba
Bushkill, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

The Inn is off the beaten track and that may be by design. It sits on a scenic lake and has nearby activities. It is a Casino so many come for that purpose. We did a few rounds and blew anything we made. We had a side trip to go horseback riding. Not too easy to find but ended up just us with the guide. Great fun! We ate dinner downtown but the brunch at the Inn (discounted to near nothing because of the horse ride). Great buffet. Very busy of course. We ate two meals at the golf course and it was easy and fair priced. Room was very good, grounds are beautiful. A bit chilly for a lake paddle but fun to walk around. Overall very good visit.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bruce B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mescalero
MCM Elegante Lodge & Resort
#9 of 23 in Ruidoso
Comfort Inn - Midtown
Comfort Inn - Midtown
#5 of 23 in Ruidoso

Been to Inn of the Mountain Gods Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!