“Beauty in a large place”

and 1 more site!
Inn of the Mountain Gods Resort & Casino
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mescalero
Reviewed 12 May 2014 via mobile

This was a surprise for me from my hubby on the l as St keg of our honeymoon. Driving in the grounds of the resort leaves you in awe of the landscape. We check in with ease of efficiency and kindness. We walked in our suite with a beautiful balcony lake view that led to 3 days of glorious sunsets we were there. The room was spacious,comfortable and exceptionally clean. Ample towels,shower water pressure and it seemed quiet in the hallway. We had breakfast room service which was hot and tasty every day. The bar area had a relaxing ambience and full bar to choose from including beers and wines. Mid week is a great time to have a couples stay with little noise around resort. ... great time, great food, great experience. ..definitely revisiting in the near future.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 May 2014

There is no question that this is a beautiful resort in a magnificent setting. Mountains and a beautiful golf course and a gorgeous lake, wildlife everywhere. Great if you don't have to stay there. My sister and I chose this hotel because we love the surroundings and we had real estate business to conduct in the nearby cities of Roswell and Cloudcroft. We made the reservation well in advance and then called to confirm the reservation and the room we wanted. We then called a third time to let them know we would be arriving late and wanted to make sure we got the room with the lake view. We were told everything would be in order when we arrived. It was not. When we did arrive, about 10:00 pm, we were told the room we wanted was not available and that if we wanted the lake view we would have to upgrade. Our new room was a king suite, $248.00 a night as opposed to the original room rate of nearly a hundred dollars less. When we said that we would take the suite, the desk clerk looked us up and down like "YOU can afford this room?". Granted, we were tired and wrinkled looking after 7 hours in the car, but she was just rude. Eventually, a young man came to help us to our room. He put the bags on the cart and followed us to the room. When I asked him if we could get some ice, he told us it was at the end of the hall one floor down. He didn't offer to get it for us, he left the bags on the cart in the room and left. We had to unload the suitcases and put the cart in the hall, where it stayed until the next evening.
They now have coffee and latte machines in the dining room and the gift shop. In the gift shop you can get a soy latte, the soy milk is already in the machine. There is no soy milk in the dining room machine, so there is no soy milk available for room service. Another hassle. We had one room service dinner that was very good, served by Shawn who was delightful. Our second room service dinner was missing the sauce for the sandwiches and cold by the time it got to us. We had brunch at the Gathering of Nations buffet. It was gross.
We went downstairs on our second morning there to leave on our errands and were practically poisoned by the overwhelming amount of carpet freshener that was everywhere in the lobby and front hall. People were fanning their noses and my sister and I were headachy and had sore throats for the rest of the day. I felt like someone had sprayed Febreeze up my nose....yuck!
The day we checked out, our key wouldn't work. I left my sister outside our door with our luggage cart and went down to the desk to get a new key. That key didn't work either. So, my sister went back down and had to wait while the very young desk clerk helped someone else. She was the only one working on a Friday morning. The second key also didn't work. So, I went down the third time, interrupted the desk clerk and told her to get our door open. I was a little steamed. I went back to the sixth floor and waited until a maintenance guy from somewhere came and opened the door and helped us load our luggage. Geeze!
I was thrilled to leave there.....

Room Tip: High floors with a lake view, if you must stay here...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
7  Thank Meredith W
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I booked the hotel online and specified an early arrival at 10 am. When I got there, I was told that there are NO early arrivals! I wished that someone would have called or emailed me after I made the reservation online.

We got there at 10:30 am and were not given a room till 3pm. My kids were exhausted!! They told me to check back at 12 and then at 1 and at 2. I went back and checked at 2:40 and still I was told they had no clean rooms. I am sure that they can not expect me to believe this. So un-professional, I had never experienced this ever! I have stayed in quite a few hotels, Cheap and Expensive, But I had never been told that there was not one room cleaned, but at 3 pm, we got our room.

At 10 am early the next day I heard the housekeeping team vacuuming the room next to us! I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT THERE WERE ROOMS AVAILABLE!! They just chose to NOT give us a room! Terrible service.

I would have taken off the minute that they told my room was not available if it wasn't for my kids that wanted to stay there. BIG disappointment.

Room Tip: Book a different hotel, maybe a cheaper one and drive out to the casino and use the casino and walk...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Martin C
Reviewed 28 April 2014

This review is only about events at the Inn. I have never stayed at the hotel, have never played golf, and have only briefly gambled there, so I can't review any of that. I've been to a couple of shows at the Inn though. Unless you get the front, center section, I wouldn't recommend going to any shows at the Inn of the Mountain Gods. Its nothing but a conference center that they put out chairs for. All seating is on the same level so if you're too far back, you can't see above the heads of those in front of you. The chairs in each row are "stuck" together so you can't slide them a few inches apart so you're crammed in there. They also don't care about seating people after a show starts or making people stay seated during a show. We went to Cirque Ziva, a Chinese acrobatic display...great show...the rest of the experience stunk. People were being seated 15-20 minutes into the show and then people were getting up and down during the show ...big distraction. And then, who in their right mind brings a 2-year old to that type of show???? He was not a distraction to me, but the parents had to keep chasing him down so they didn't get to see much of the show themselves. I didn't feel sorry for them

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Keabu
Reviewed 20 April 2014

My husband tried to check in and couldnt because the reservation was in my name. The beds were very comfortable and we slept fairly will except for the noise in the hallway. The pool was very little and had more than twice the allowed amount of people that it said on the rules. There was no way to actually swim. There was tons of misquitos outside around the lake. The buffet was expensive and the crab legs were so skinny that it was hard to get the crab out. Anyway the beds were comfortable. Oh and of course it smells like cigarette smoke on the main floors because of the casino. The people at the front desk were not very friendly either.

Room Tip: The lake side would be much prettier
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Peggy G
Reviewed 18 April 2014

I made reservations for a grand suite and I checked in and went to my room, my room was a regular room not what I made reservations for I called the front desk the staff were rude so I talked to the manager she said she had to switch my room. They didn't say anything about it When I checked in or even ask if was ok to do so, it was a surprise when I walked into my room it not what I made reservations for. I don't recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2014
9  Thank Stephfanie
Reviewed 17 April 2014

Inn of the Mountain Gods is a beautiful resort hotel in a wonderful setting and it's well taken care of and maintained. Walking in the entrance, you are greeted by a large lobby with a magnificent view of the mountains and lake.
We called in the morning to see if we could check in early and were told rather impolitely that we would have to check back after noon to see if a room was available. The reservation person wouldn't even check to see if a room was available.
When we did arrive about 12:30, a room was available so we were able to check in early. The check in process is unique. Instead of a friendly greeting for a returning guest, we were told a list of rules regarding smoking and minibar and had to sign several things to acknowledge all this. I've never experienced that before. It was like signing a lease for an apartment.
The rooms are lovely and modern. The view of the lake from the room is terrific and had it been warmer we would have really enjoyed the balcony.
The buffet was mediocre and they are in no hurry at all to seat you. We've eaten at Wendell's before and it was very good but we didn't this time.
Service at the bar was equally slow and indifferent. We were given a menu but I didn't read the fine print which said that only certain items could be ordered after 3PM. The shrimp cocktail was excellent, however.
The casino was typical but quieter than some I've been in which was nice. I was shocked to find video poker machines with 9/6 payouts. That's really good and I more than doubled my money in the short time I played.
If the staff were properly trained on customer service and the food in the buffet was better, this would be a really nice destination.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dralbertfish
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mescalero
Shadow Mountain Lodge and Cabins
Comfort Inn - Midtown
Comfort Inn - Midtown
#4 of 23 in Ruidoso
Quality Inn & Suites - Ruidoso Hwy 70

Been to Inn of the Mountain Gods Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!