“Potential for excellence”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mescalero
Dallas, Texas
“Potential for excellence”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We recently visited Inn of the Mountain Gods twice, not to stay there, but for my husband to play golf, and me to play the casino, plus we had dinner there. So I can't speak to the actual rooms, but we were pretty pleased with everything else. The setting and scenery are just spectacular - even if you don't stay there, go visit. My husband was euphoric about the beauty of the golf course, and the grounds are lovely. He said the golf fee was extremely reasonable - on a weekend. The casino is a nice size, with a good variety of machines. It was never crowded the two times we were there. It was not overly smokey, decent sports bar, attentive staff tending to machine issues - good basic casino. Any staff we dealt with in the casino, golf course, or at dinner in Wendall's were all competent and appropriate (except for the hostess at
Wendell's - she was at best a placeholder). We were glad we visited.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
Portales, New Mexico
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night on 6-7 July 2014. The issues with this hotel began prior to me ever setting foot in it. They advertise valet parking service and it was supposed to be included in my room rate, but as I pulled up at 3:45 pm to drop my car off no one was around, and even though I sat there and waited a few minutes, no one ever came. I grew tired of waiting and drove to the garage for self park.

When I got to the lobby for check-in there was a line that's stretched all the way down the corridor, approximately 150 people that were waiting. They had 3 people doing check-ins, and they were spending a good 5 minutes on each party...it took a good 2 hours before I ever made it to the counter.

Suite 393 was very spacious, and facing the lake, with a great view. On the surface, the room looked to have been serviced well by the housekeeping staff, as I didn't see any hair, trash, fingernail clippings, etc from past guests. Once I pulled back the bed linen to check the sheets, I was not so impressed. There was a disgusting, 1 meter diameter urine stain on the queen bed closest to the balcony, and a 6 inch diameter bodily fluids stain on the mattress closest to the front door. I saw a housekeeping supervisor in the hallway and brought her in to show her...she simply said, "we'll get you new mattresses", then walked out, never looking shocked, and more alarming, never apologizing. Moreover, she appeared to be irritated that I discovered the housekeeping oversight and that I essentially created more work for her, as if I was totally inconveniencing her.

I went to eat at the hotel buffet restaurant, A Gathering of Nations Buffet, while waiting for them to replace the mattresses. I've been to several casino/hotel buffet restaurants in Las Vegas, Louisiana, and Mississippi, and usually they are very, very good, with a great selection of various foods and really good food quality, that definitely was not the case at this property. Firstly, the same issues experienced during check-in with the extraordinarily long line was experienced when trying to get seated for the buffet. They only had one lady at the register, but there were two registers available (poor management of personnel forces to not have maximum workers on shift at peak hours). I stood in line for one hour prior to being seated.
The food selection and quality was horrible. There were no healthy meats, no fresh fish, etc. They had a bunch of fried, and processed foods, and a really unimpressive minimal selection that your standard Golden Corral would put to shame, definitely not what one should expect when visiting a casino/hotel buffet, and definitely not worth the over $20.00 per person charge.

The remainder of the stay was uneventful. They replaced the stained mattresses with new ones and I was able to sleep comfortably. I did express checkout with no issues to report.

This hotel is poorly managed and the staff are not held accountable for their work, or lack of work. There is no reason why I, as a guest, should have to discover huge urine stains on their mattresses, have to stand in two lines a total of 3 hours, and wait around for valet parking with my engine idling, to never have anyone come. The problems at this property seem to be systemic and pervasive in nature, and I believe to correct them it will take a total purge of the current management team and replacement by some professionals that actually know what they're doing. I do not recommend this hotel and will not be staying there in the future.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank kennyonline

Travellers are raving about these Mescalero hotels

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We have stayed at the Inn many times over the years and it is always enjoyable. Had the Sunday Brunch this time and the food was plentiful with huge selection and taste. At $16 dollars you get an excellent brunch even though the setting is quite basic with cafeteria style plates and silverware. My biggest complaint is a big one this time - a group was playing a game near the registration desk and people were leaving the table to smoke near the desk. Very unheard of in this day and age. Keep smoking regulated and confined.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Alexa8776
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

I have been to the casino many times but have never stayed in the "resort", I decided to give it a try because my expectatios where high as any "resort" should be. Customer Service" is not their priority. There was one lady swrving food atbthe food court and she was using the same gloves to serve food and take the money. Since my online reservation I asked for a non smoking floor and the lady did not bother to look for another room because "that's what shows on the system".

The service is lower for what you expect at a mid-price hotel. Next time I come I will stay at holiday inn express.

I would recommend to save your money and come to the casino and lake.

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Humberto C
Enid, Oklahoma
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

Wifi is non existent. Buffet on sea food night has only sea food options with hardly any non fishy choices and for a non fish eater that leaves very few options. Salad was good. Pretty view from our golf-lake facing room.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Jshields01
Troon, Scotland
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

Family holiday in the USA. Stayed one night. As previously reported the resort has many features. Went for supper in the buffet restaurant where we paid on entry. As reported elsewhere, the staff need training in customer care. The lady taking the money was I suspected somewhat "tied and emotional".
This was not the case for breakfast where the staff were absolutely fine.
Worth a visit, but don't expect customer care as their top priority.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank 98JHM
Amarillo, Texas, United States
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

The Inn is beautiful and the lake and mountains will not disappoint. If you enjoy golf, boating, fishing or casinos, you will really love the Inn. We just had a few disappointments. When we arrived and checked in, the young lady that "helped" us was unfriendly, unwelcoming and could not be bothered when my parents needed some assistance. We were really disappointed that we weren't shown more hospitality. The other things were minor issues compared to that. Some areas were not well cleaned, the furniture in our room had some wear and tear and the food at the breakfast buffet was mediocre at best. I've always wanted to stay, and I'm glad that we did once, but we will stay elsewhere in the future when we're looking for luxury, romance and great service.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Bafarmerswife
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mescalero
Shadow Mountain Lodge and Cabins
Comfort Inn - Midtown
Comfort Inn - Midtown
#3 of 23 in Ruidoso
Quality Inn & Suites - Ruidoso Hwy 70

Been to Inn of the Mountain Gods Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!