“Poor Service and Dirty Rooms”

and 1 more site!
Inn of the Mountain Gods Resort & Casino
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mescalero
Reviewed 9 July 2009

We arrived after check in time to be told we would have an hour wait because they had no clean rooms. We were not the only ones. Its remote location, which we feel is a plus, wasn't really conducive to travelling anywhere so we just waited. When we got to the room, it appeared ok, but my request for extra pillows and towels had been ignored.

We called for towels and pillows and they were assured, but never came. The person on the phone was really rude. We called for towels and pillows after we returned from dinner and towels eventually did get sent up. The next morning, I called housekeeping and asked, again, for pillows and some bottled water. Got pillows, no water.

For this supposedly being a 4 start or diamond resort, it is terribly lacking. From check in to check out, the personality of the employees is just stale. The smoke from the casino creates a thick haze and nasty smell in the hallways you have to walk through to exit or go to parking.

The last straw that made me never want to stay there again was what I saw on the second night when I was taking a bath. I had run scaldin gwater in the tub before doing so. Then, as I was sitting there, I noticed the base of the toilet was SO FILTHY, I thought I would throw up. It looked like it had not been cleaned EVER and I don't even have to tell you what was on it. I will NEVER stay there, again.

I agree with other posters. The buffet is very expensive and food quality mediocre.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank familyfour65
There are newer reviews for Inn of the Mountain Gods Resort & Casino

Reviewed 25 June 2009

Don't waste your money on the buffet. Lousy service and seafood. Extra for beer and wine and overpriced. Casino slots paid off though so it was a wash. Stayed at a bed and breadkfast - Evergreen - bit of a drive north of town but wow, nice views rooms, hosts, and a fantastic breakfast.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank JimGarHouston
Reviewed 15 June 2009

Location: absolutely beautiful
Golf course: very pretty (i am not a golfer but it looks good to me)
Wendell restaurant: very disappointing...poor service, slow service, so-so food
Check-on: took a long time
Buffet: very long lines around meal times
Casino: not a gambler, but folks looked like they were having fun
Rooms: run-down (scuffed furniture) but bed in suite was very comfortable
We wanted a lakeview...they gave us a room that overlooked the golf clubhouse...LOL
Exercise room is extremely nice...pool is so-so

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank tfirma
Reviewed 10 June 2009

Beautiful property, but obviously way understaffed. Had to wait in line for over 30 minutes to check in (1-1/2 hours after check in time). Then was told that we could check in, but room was not ready - had to wait until after 6:00 pm for room to be ready, then had to wait in line again to pick up keys.
They have bellhops to help with luggage, but they were all busy, and if you would like to use a cart and take in your own luggage, you're out of luck. It's a long walk from garage to room, especially after taking 3 trips to get all of your stuff - management - buy some more luggage carts and make them available!!!!!
Casino is tight, and self-service soft drinks are not available - have to wait for cart to come around - several times I had to go looking for lady with drink cart, as I felt like I was about to die of thirst. Players club is very stingy with comps and benefits.
Has a lot of potential, but I got the feeling that overall it is very poorly managed. For what the rooms cost, I expect more.

Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NewMexicoTina
Reviewed 6 June 2009

Could be my fault, but somehow from their site I had the impression this was like a 4-star hotel, which was why we were willing to fork out more than what we'd normally pay for a hotel. I'd give it 2 stars at most. As with most hotels, lobby is pretty great, with floor to ceiling view of Sierra Blanca Mountain and Mescalero Lake. Room layout is large, with beds set back and 2 not so comfortable chairs positioned in front of TV, with large bathroom. But carpet and furniture are worn, scuff marks on walls, stairwells between floors are dirty, parking garage is very dark with no sign of security anywhere. Check-in I knew was at 3pm, but we arrived closer to noon and were essentially told to come back. I asserted that we'd been told to just check upon arrival, and indeed there were rooms ready so we could check in. Pool is small, hot tub is large, but both look like they need to be cleaned, as does the waterfall (dirt in the water) on the outside of the Inn facing the lake. We rented a boat for a ride around the lake and ended up spending part of the time helping another group get back to the marina, since the youth running the area had not seen them waving frantically. Perhaps that was the issue - throughout the facility, from check in to boats to pool attendants, all were fairly young - could explain why from one day to the next the towels and shampoo bottle I left in a shower were never removed. Just had the sense that no one was cleaning up this place. Even the carpet on the major staircase that led down to the restaurant had some kind of large white fuzz on it that stayed for 2 days. We did not try Wendell's Restaurant, though it looked quite classy - with high prices to match - but did have a good breakfast buffet at The Gathering of Nations Buffet. Another restaurant that's advertised on their site, the Apache Tee, was very dirty - we turned around and left. I felt pretty disappointed in the stay overall and would not return.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MJAL
Reviewed 22 May 2009

...because the front desk and management in general are cold, clueless and have no business sense. The non-smoking rooms smell of smoke. The rooms are noisy. Obviously the Mescalero Indians opted for little insulation between the rooms, bars, etc. Overall it is a poorly run property that is in a glorious location. That is the ONLY draw and will be the ONLY reason people go back. If you can tolerate the rude and poorly organized front desk and reservations, get past the front desk and hopefully not have to deal with them a 4th or 5th time because the rooms you were checking into were dirty, then take a deep breath and move on. The hotel has not been full every time we have been and the dates have been during the high season for them. Imagine how full it would be if their people had some good training and believed in the golden rule.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
7  Thank flyin4fun
Reviewed 17 May 2009

If you are not used to high elevations, you are likely to get altitude sickness when you go to this resort. It is at 7,000 feet, which is really, really high. My husband and I were weak and nauseous the whole time. Only at the end did we figure out what was wrong. No one at the hotel told us, even when we sent down to the desk for Alka Seltzer. Nice.

If it weren't for that, we would have loved this hotel. We stayed in a one-bedroom suite, which was nice. The views were fabulous: lake and mountain. The Casino was fun. The hotel's buffet was good and there were wonderful restaurants and shopping nearby on Sudderth Road in Ruidoso, especially the well-known Lucy's Mexicali. Lucy even came to the table. She and the food were great.

So, assuming you're ready for 7,000 feet, definitely go. Otherwise, look up altitude sickness remedies before your trip.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank NoSnakesPlease
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mescalero
Shadow Mountain Lodge and Cabins
Comfort Inn - Midtown
Comfort Inn - Midtown
#4 of 23 in Ruidoso
Quality Inn & Suites - Ruidoso Hwy 70

Been to Inn of the Mountain Gods Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!