“If I had to do it over again - I wouldn't”

Inn of the Mountain Gods Resort & Casino
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mescalero
Reviewed 30 December 2009

This is my third review of this hotel since it's rebuild, and I was hoping that things would have changed. I was wrong. We stayed at the hotel for one night with three rooms. I had originally booked on line for a suite and a standard, but had to add another standard the day prior to arrival. The front desk was unwilling to give me a $20 price break on the third standard room to match the first booked standard. Overall we paid just under $800 for the three rooms. Not really complaining about the overall price - just the inability of the hotel to recognize that two rooms for the same price could make a customer happy ($179 v $199)

The Mescalero really need to hire a reputable company to run this place as they have no idea of what constitutes good service. It starts at the front desk with their unfriendly attitude, and spills over to the rest of the place. If you have a party of 8 or more, the buffet will charge you a 17.5% service charge - but guess what - there's no service, want a coffee refill? Good luck on that.

Of course, most probably come to gamble and the service is secondary, but there is an overall uncaring attitude that pervades the hotel part of the property. Seemingly small inconveniences add up, from that very first contact, where the rooms are not ready at check in time, to the forgotten 6:30am in room breakfast order for the mother-in-law.

If you can overlook the poor attitude and service, the location is beautiful and the rooms are decent, it's the only place in the area that offers such a great view - but the whole experience is spoiled by the uncaring attitude of most of the staff.

I'd suggest that the Mescalero take some of their Casino profits and send their staff on a trip to a Marriott, Hilton, or Hyatt resort in Cancun to see how good, caring customer service makes folks want to return.

That being said - I did hit a $250 jackpot on a 25cent slot - so some of the disappointment at the overall experience was tempered, but not enough to make me want to stay again.

I've said I wouldn't be back before, but this time I mean it.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank nbrooks

Reviewed 18 December 2009

I read all the reviews before we went and cannot understand why anybody would not like this place. They let us check-in at noon and it took 5 minutes (The valets were great BTW). The room was very nice, spotless, well furnished and as for the mini bar being locked...all you had to do was get a code from the desk. SOP I believe. Food was good (One of the best burgers I've ever had) and service a bit slow but they were kinda overwhelmed by the concert that night, understandable but not a big problem. As for the casino, the new New Mexico laws concerning alcohol on the gaming floor are goofy (Like, not) but that's not the hotels fault. And yes you can smoke just about everywhere but the place did not "reek" as another guest complained about. The surrounding area is beautiful (After you get through Rudioso which is just a big tourist trap). My wife DID win at the casino. All in all a nice place, reasonably priced and a delightful experience...we will go back.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 December 2009

The lake front view room is pretty spacious. Beautiful view. Free Wi-Fi. However, the AC/heating unit is quite noisy. The door is paper thin, you could hear so clearly people walk by and talk in the hallway. I'm sure they can hear you quite well too. The room safe is not free. The mini bar is also locked. The tub drained very slowly. When you are finished taking a shower, you could have the water half way to your knees. The lobby is nice. The casino is smoky. No good air circulation like in Vegas casinos. It's so bad that I could not wear my contact lenses during my 2 night stay there. Buffet was below average and for $25 per person, definitely not worth it. Service was bad. Room service was pretty quick and the food was pretty good. Don't think there's another decent hotel in the area.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 November 2009

A beautiful setting, however that is where it ends. I got one of the grand suites for my stay and was dissappointed from the start. The couch had to be 15 yrs old and looked it..no recliner. I am not sure this is a three star hotel let alone a FOUR DIAMOND. On the bright side, the Jacuzzi was great, room service was fast and good and the mini bar put me in the right frame of mind to go down and play the slots a couple of hours after my arrival.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank pdcrisw39
Reviewed 1 November 2009

Very pretty, scenic location. Beautiful golf course. Pricey. There are many motels, hotels and cabins in the area (Ruidoso) and this is on the high end price-wise. There is a casino at the same location as the hotel. Some of the Native American employees of the facility are not that friendly. Service not that great.

Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank skygazing
Reviewed 13 October 2009

My husband and I had a blast at the Inn of the Mountain Gods. The hotel is beautiful. The staff was friendly and very helpful. Rooms cleam and confortable. Paid a little extra for a room with a patio and it was well worth it to have a view of the lake and mountains. The room wasn't sound proof as we could hear just about everything going on in the rooms next to ours. Pool and workout room was great. Food was good at the sports bar and the Apache Tee off the golf course. Didn't care for the buffet. Although there was a good variety I felt it was over priced. I'm not a buffet person anyway. Won a little money at the slots and roulet wheel. Weather was beatiful although extremely windy. We will definitely return.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mothra102
Reviewed 13 October 2009

After reading some of the previous reviews, I was a little nervous to make reservations here, but I had visited the resort a couple times and its beautiful location made me willing to take the risk and reserve 3 days in a suite.
I was happily surprised to find from the moment we checked in, there were helpful, friendly, accomodating, staff members to help us. We were greeted at the curb and immediatley had our vehicle and luggage taken care of. The bellman also got us ice for our room ( after hanging up our clothes in the closet for us) and made sure we had everything we needed before he left. The suite we stayed in was just lovely with a beautiful view of the lake and mountains. The restaurant staff went out of their way to make us whatever we wanted and the bartender at the lounge (Tammy) even had a "special" dinner made for us on our last night that was one of the best meals we have ever eaten.
We had breakfast in the buffet two of the mornings and had made to order eggs and the rest of the food was hot and fresh. The cost is very reasonable if you have a players card.
The casino is not very big, but we did very well there. We had enough casino credits to pay for one night's stay and enough money left over to pay for the rest of the vacation with our winnings with extra money to take home. I realize this is not the "norm" for any casino, but you can win here.
I have traveled the world and stayed at 5 star resorts. The Inn of the Mountain Gods may not be a 5 star resort, but we were definitely treated as though it is. Don't miss this beautiful location.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NMtravelerNewMexico
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mescalero
MCM Elegante Lodge & Resort
Comfort Inn - Midtown
#4 of 23 in Ruidoso
Best Western Plus Ruidoso Inn
La Quinta Inn & Suites Ruidoso Downs

Been to Inn of the Mountain Gods Resort & Casino? Share your experiences!