This is my third review of this hotel since it's rebuild, and I was hoping that things would have changed. I was wrong. We stayed at the hotel for one night with three rooms. I had originally booked on line for a suite and a standard, but had to add another standard the day prior to arrival. The front desk was unwilling to give me a $20 price break on the third standard room to match the first booked standard. Overall we paid just under $800 for the three rooms. Not really complaining about the overall price - just the inability of the hotel to recognize that two rooms for the same price could make a customer happy ($179 v $199)
The Mescalero really need to hire a reputable company to run this place as they have no idea of what constitutes good service. It starts at the front desk with their unfriendly attitude, and spills over to the rest of the place. If you have a party of 8 or more, the buffet will charge you a 17.5% service charge - but guess what - there's no service, want a coffee refill? Good luck on that.
Of course, most probably come to gamble and the service is secondary, but there is an overall uncaring attitude that pervades the hotel part of the property. Seemingly small inconveniences add up, from that very first contact, where the rooms are not ready at check in time, to the forgotten 6:30am in room breakfast order for the mother-in-law.
If you can overlook the poor attitude and service, the location is beautiful and the rooms are decent, it's the only place in the area that offers such a great view - but the whole experience is spoiled by the uncaring attitude of most of the staff.
I'd suggest that the Mescalero take some of their Casino profits and send their staff on a trip to a Marriott, Hilton, or Hyatt resort in Cancun to see how good, caring customer service makes folks want to return.
That being said - I did hit a $250 jackpot on a 25cent slot - so some of the disappointment at the overall experience was tempered, but not enough to make me want to stay again.
I've said I wouldn't be back before, but this time I mean it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- EXPERIENCE A RESORT AND CASINO THAT IS ABOVE AND BEYOND. New Mexico’s premier mountain resort awaits with impeccable service, mouthwatering cuisine for every palate, incredible gaming action, and breathtaking alpine scenery to nurture your soul. Situated high in the picturesque mountains of Mescalero, New Mexico just outside of Ruidoso, guests return time and time again to Inn of the Mountain Gods to enjoy the clean mountain air, stunning panoramic views, and exciting entertainment options. Upon your arrival, you’ll be greeted by a stunning lobby featuring a sweeping view of the snowcapped mountains, lake and championship golf course. Guests have come to expect all of the little extras that come standard here at Inn of the Mountain Gods. From the moment you arrive, you’ll be enchanted by original works of art throughout the property, roaring fireplaces in the lobby, and a tranquil setting that makes the everyday world feel a million miles away. Beyond that, discover an endless variety of activities, entertainment and escapes to make it a getaway you’ll never forget. 273 LUXURY ROOMS AND SUITES, NUMEROUS DINING OPTIONS FROM A SIGNATURE STEAK AND SEAFOOD RESTAURANT TO A SCRUMPTIOUS BUFFET, 40,000 SQUARE FEET OF MEETING SPACE, 38,000 SQUARE FOOT CASINO, INDOOR POOL, A FULLY EQUIPPED WORKOUT FACILITY, SKIING AND SNOWBOARDING, 18 HOLE CHAMPIONSHIP GOLF COURSE, BIG GAME HUNTING, SKEET SHOOTING, HORSEBACK RIDING, FISHING, GONDOLA RIDES. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers and Booking.com so you can book your Inn of the Mountain Gods Resort & Casino reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Inn Of The Mountain Gods Hotel Mescalero
- Hotel Of The Mountain Gods
- Mountain Gods Inn
- Inn Mountain Gods
- Mountain Gods Hotel
- Of The Mountain Gods Hotel