“Exquisite 19th Century Adobe Inn”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mesilla
Josefina's Old Gate
Ranked #2 of 2 Mesilla B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 August 2010

I loved this Inn. Every detail was just lovely. The antiques, the plush linens and towels and mostly the architecture. My only advice would be to arrange your arrival and departure times in advance as i couldn't always find someone to help me since it's a very small place (just two rooms) and there's no desk staff. The people in the attached restaurant couldn't really help with check out, etc either. But once you settle in, you'll have your own key and can come and go whenever you please of course. I was also really impressed with the fact that my queen room had a separate sitting room as well as a covered outdoor garden area shared with the other guest in the next room. I can't wait to go back and am already planning my next trip. The rates are very reasonable for such quality!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank alittledabble

Reviewed 8 May 2010

Chose Josefina's because of others' glowing reviews... all of which were warranted. Susan, who took my reservation, and Kathleen, the owner, gave personal attention, recommendations of where and what to see and eat, I felt like I'd known them forever. I plan to take my hubby to Josefina's next spring! Being not quite peak season, nonetheless, Sunday in the town square offered music and arts and crafts vendors as well.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
5  Thank MJHBlack
Reviewed 3 April 2010

Josefina's is the place for you if you do not want "run of the mill". There are only 2 suites and both are immaculately kept. They share a back patio/Florida room type area with large plants and wicker furniture for relaxing with your morning coffee & paper or a glass of wine in the evening (provided by Josefina's). The rooms also share the rest of the house/antique shop. You have accecss to a full size frig & microwave - great for your dinner leftovers for breakfast!

We had the king suite with a flat screen tv and sitting area. Bed is large & comfy although a little soft for my back. Linens are crisp, clean and pillows are generous & numerous. The shower is wonderful and the complimentary mint shampoo & conditioner are the best. I asked Kathleen where to buy more, but she said that flavor has been discontinued. Bummer! One disappointment was that the shampoo, etc did not get replaced as we used it (even with a different flavor). Also, bottled water that was in the room when we arrived did not get replaced as it was used, but maybe that was simply a welcome gift.

We did not have the opportunity to try the cafe as it was open only 11-3 for lunch and by 11am, we were off exploring the countryside & hiking. It was open for breakfast only on Friday & Saturday and we left Friday. However, we did find a couple of great breakfast places - Andele (within walking distance) and The Shed on Valley Rd. Check my reviews of them.

Josefina's is only a block off the main historic square in Mesilla. This was a great place to roam and check out the shops. Their hours are limited - usually 10-5. There is a great bookstore with some very friendly dogs tending the shop (dogs are always a perk to me). A lovely kitchen store with yummy sauces, soup mixes, preserves, etc made from local ingredients was also a favorite. For food, I recommend getting out f the historic square - the places we tried were simply ok. I will review Las Posta, Double Eagle & Si Senor.

With only 2 rooms, Josefina's was nice & quiet as long as you don't want to sleep past 8am. Once the town starts to wake up there are the usual noises of road crews, trash collection and yard maintenance. We are early to rise & get moving so, for us, it was not a big deal.

All in all, a very pleasant stay - close to the highway for getting to other areas for sightseeing, close to shopping & food and very clean.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank GinnyEric
Reviewed 13 September 2009

Located on the historic plaza in Old Mesilla, Josefina's exudes the charm and hospitality matched by only the finest Inns throughout the country. You will arrive to a warm welcome from Kathleen Foreman and Bob Hamilton, the owners, who will personally make sure that you feel at home in this gorgeous old adobe building built in the 1800s. The Inn is filled with antiques and has a spacious living room and kitchen, available to the guests. The rooms have sitting areas and the beds are incredibly comfortable with soft, fluffy comforters, and wonderful crisp linens. For a bite to eat, Josefina's includes a charming restaurant with outdoor seating serving a delicious breakfast and lunch. Everything is fresh and prepared with care. I wholeheartedly recommend this Inn but be sure to make your reservations early as this is becoming a very popular destination.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank DRCOC
Reviewed 11 September 2009

I was lucky enough to spend a long weekend at Josefina's Old Gate in Mesilla, NM. What a gem! The inn has 2 beautiful suites - a king and a queen - and would be comfortable for any length stay. Both suites are adjacent to a lovely patio garden and there is full use of several sitting rooms and a kitchen. However, I wouldn't miss having a wonderful breakfast or lunch at the Cafe right there on the grounds. The owner, Kathleen Foreman, is always present (it was originally her mother's home), making sure the food and service are top notch. --- The location is super - less than a block off the historic main square of Old Mesilla and across from the old church - perfect for an early morning or evening stroll. But watch out for the antiques shop between the cafe and inn. I went home with heavier bags and a lighter wallet. - You can't go wrong with a stay at Josefina's.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
2  Thank cepamgo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mesilla
Hotel Encanto de Las Cruces
Comfort Inn & Suites
Comfort Inn & Suites
#4 of 34 in Las Cruces
Hampton Inn & Suites Las Cruces I-25

Been to Josefina's Old Gate? Share your experiences!