“Dissapointing”

Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
New Mexico
“Dissapointing”
Reviewed 21 February 2014

My wife and I decided on Valentine's Day dinner at this restaurant. From the minute we walked in I could tell they took on too many reservations for the big evening. Couples started piling into the bar/lounge area and the reservation/seating timeline started slipping to the right.

We were seated in the courtyard area vice the dining area most likely because of booking overflow. I didn't mind, it's peaceful in the atrium and a little more intimate. We chose three courses only because the following day was a workday for both of us. The starter was good and salad average. We then spent a half hour between courses waiting for our steaks, which is the Double Eagle's staple, just reaffirming my suspicions about the managers ambitious reservation list.

My steak was over charred on one side only, so were the sauteed vegies on top, which made the steak dry. It seemed as though the chef flipped the steak over and walked away from it forgetting, or maybe he was too busy managing his over sized workload for the evening. The twice baked potato was bland and dry. I didn't bother with returning my plate because we simply didn't have time (next day workday), and it's not in my nature to return food, I usually just suck it up and smile.

Even after the sub par food I was in good spirits, until I received the check and realized that I had to pay $120 for a meal that's worth $30. Which is the reason I'm writing this review. After a bad meal at a restaurant I usually just shake it off and try not to go there anymore. But when your paying four star prices for two star food it needs to be addressed.

Lessons learned from this experience: 1) Confirmed that Las Cruces simply does not have a fine dining venue anywhere in it's city limits & 2) Steer clear of the Double Eagle on big events/weekends.

I do want to add that throughout the evening the service was exceptional, all of the staff were kind. This review is a reflection of the poor judgement by the management to book the restaurant too aggressively on the most important women's holiday of the year! I'm sure that my steak would have been delicious on any other night. My wife and I have decided for future special occasions, if we're in town anyways, we'll be traveling to El Paso to celebrate.

• Visited February 2014
4 Thank travelguy808

Tucson
“Skip the World's Largest Green Chile Cheeseburger”
Reviewed 6 February 2014

We ate twice at Peppers, the more informal restaurant that is in the covered patio of the Double Eagle. The setting is attractive with plants all over, and the service was good both times. On the first visit we had a steak, which was adequate but more a medium rare or medium than the rare ordered, and a good baked potato with all the trimmings. The star of the meal was a coconut flan. The second time we had the World' Largest Green Chile Cheeseburger. It was large, easily the largest we've ever seen, and at $21 it needed to be. But meat was dry, and the strips of green chile covered only the middle of the dish so we had to eat a lot of bread to get to it. The cheese was good but didn't melt the way we expect with the usual GCC. Better ones are found at Blake's. We won't order it here again.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Dianne T
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Great Little Place!”
Reviewed 4 February 2014

The Double Eagle is a fantastic place to have a few drinks and some appetizers. I had the brisket tostadas and they were very filling. If you like your food really spicy, definitely ask for the sauce.
This isn't a place you would go to for a huge beer selection, it's more for a quiet and elegant place to have a few drinks and nice food. It is connected to a restaurant, although I didn't have much time to venture in. It is located in a historic part of Mesilla, when you arrive it may feel awkward to park on the street, but it's totally fine. Staff is very friendly and the menu prices are reasonable.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank BrownEyedGirl414
COCOA
“Excellent meal”
Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

First, this is not a Mexican rest. It's a fine steakhouse. They were running a Thursday night special on prime rib. So I tried it, while keeping my expectations low. It was excellent! So tender with great flavor. The mixed veg was just ok, and the twice baked potato was a little dry. Not bad enough to ruin the meal by any stretch. I really liked it and it was a beautiful place. Great for date night.

1 Thank MICHAEL A
Las Cruces, New Mexico
“A good place to have a drink in the bar, that's it.”
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Double Eagle used to be one of my favorites, but after several visits in the past couple months, I probably won't ever go back for the food, but I will stop by for a drink in the bar...one of the best bars in the area for the great ambiance.

During my last visit, the server was fantastic, but the food was almost inedible, and I am not really a picky eater. It has been that way for some time, and sadly has affected the Sunday brunch. What was once a fresh and tasty brunch has turned into a room full of food that sits until someone takes it on their plate, even if it is dried out and looks unappetizing. That is if food is left. Sometimes empty serving containers sit until someone finds the nerve to ask a server if it will be refilled.

I would encourage visitors to stop by to see the building, which really is beautiful inside. Have a drink in the bar and recognize you are paying a little extra for the surroundings, but don't waste your money on the food.

• Visited January 2014