“Mixed feelings”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We decided on Peppers as there were some good reviews on the place. We were kind of in between good and not good for our visit there.
The courtyard is unique with all the plants, the old flooring, and the old time feel of the place.
My companion ordered the small Chili Rellenos, and I went for the Beef Barbacoa. Her rellenos was quite small, with no chili zing to it; the rice was very good, as were the black beans. My beef was very good, loaded with mushrooms and lots of bites of beef. So, the food was o.k.
However, the service was not good. I don't know if our waiter was new or not, but he seemed out of it when taking care of our wishes. We asked for a beer to split, he brought the list, then left, and we didn't see him until he brought out our food. Then it took almost 10 minutes before we got the drink.
Again, we didn't see him at all after we received our drink, and my companion had to go up to the front of the restaurant to get someone to tell him to bring our check. This took about another 10 minutes.
So, overall, our experience was o.k. Kind of wish we had gone somewhere else, and will not return.

Reviewed 2 February 2014

As always, we enjoyed the garden atmosphere, with the palms and fountain in the middle. There were not too many people on a Saturday night at 6 pm, but I had called in advance, just in case. This is the second time, when I have called in advance at about 11 am, that they have not been able to find my reservation when I arrived. Fortunately, each time they were able to accommodate us (being only the two people). The waiter was friendly and attentive, but initially forgot the chips and salsa. But that turned out better, as the salads do not come with bread or rolls. So it was nice to have the corn chips along with our salads. We used a $15 restaurant.com voucher, so the result came to a very reasonable price. The price of the seafood salads is $12.50. The seafood salad is on a bed of nice greens with some iceberg lettuce (which I left on my plate), a lump of seafood salad (a lot of small shrimp), a large avocado slice (perhaps 1/2 to 1/3 an avocado), cucumbers, and tomatoes. The ladies restroom was clean. We had to park about 2 blocks away. Saturday night is busy. The basilica (church) was lighted and looked nice, the gazebo on the square has been torn down, but will be reconstructed.

Reviewed 28 December 2013

Food was definitely 2nd rate - no where near the wonderful New Mexican and Mexican food that the area is known for... go somewhere else!

Reviewed 5 December 2013

We have been here before and I have reviewed this restaurant before, but not in awhile. We went this time because I had a restaurant.com coupon/voucher worth $15 (which I purchased for either $6 or $3) under the understanding that I would spend $22.50. This was easy as their dinner salads have gone up to $11 or $11.50. We had the pineapple chicken salad that we've had before. It was very tasty, served on a bed of greens with the chicken salad in a hollowed out pineapple half (perhaps third) with various other fruits (watermelon and cantaloupe pieces) surrounding it. However, this is not for people with big appetites, as it is not that filling, and it is not served with a dinner roll. They do bring chips and salsa to have while you consider the menu. Because we had time (before the film), we also ordered decaf coffee and their banana enchilada dessert -- one of their specialties. It was good, but not as good as I had remembered from other occasions. So the bill even with the $15 coupon/voucher deducted from the original price came to a bit over $21. I consider this expensive, which is why I think we would only go with a coupon/voucher. The ladies restroom is shared with the Double Eagle restaurant in the same building and is clean. Parking is on the street or in front of the Basilica on the Plaza.

Reviewed 13 November 2013

Relaxed atmosphere, great location for strolling the plaza before or after -check out the green chili wontons with pineapple salsa and the seafood enchiladas. Service is sometimes a little slow but friendly.