“Good food, good service, nice stop on a road trip”

La Posta de Mesilla
Ranked #2 of 15 Restaurants in Mesilla
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Bar Scene, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Brunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Riverside, California
“Good food, good service, nice stop on a road trip”
Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

This place has been a while, since the 30's and the building even longer. The food is good and a fair price for a sit down shindig. Service is good and the staff has always been friendly. We stop whenever we pass through Mesilla on our road trips. Very close to the town square so on a road trip its a nice stop to get the animals, I meant kids out of the back of the family truckster and let them wander around. Also the restaurant has some piranhas in a tank and some large noisy birds which seem to entertain the rugrats.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Authentic Food”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Coming from the midwest, we really don't get authentic mexican food. The food here is great, service is wonderful and the restaurant itself is beautiful. Highly recommend.

Visited June 2014
“History with your meal”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Dinner at La Posta was a fantastic experience, a must stop for anyone traveling through Las Cruses, Mesilla area. It is located in a beautiful historic building, food is great, reasonably priced meal. Must read the historical piece located at the back of building. I hope to eat here again.

Portland, OR
“A Unique Experience”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Dinner at La Posta was a unique experience for me, but not a very memorable one. The restauarant is in an interesting old building, first built in the 1840's. According to a plaque on the wall, Ulysses S. Grant, Kit Carson and Billy the Kid all stayed there. My wife and I were seated in a room by the bar with a nice view of the patio. Since it was 105 degrees outside, we decided to stay inside where it was nice and cool. It was kind of fun trying to imagine some of the things that may have gone on in that room over the years. The food on the other hand, was not so enjoyable.

I grew up in California and now live in Oregon. I've traveled in Mexico, Arizona and New Mexico and I've consumed a lot of margaritas and Mexican food over the years. I would have to say that the enchilladas and margarita that I had at La Posta were unlike anything I've ever had before. Frankly, I didn't care much for either the food or the drink and neither did my wife. I thought the sour cream enchilladas were bland and the classico grande margarita was very tart. I can't say that it was bad, it was just very different from what I'm used to and I prefer the more traditional approach to Mexican food and drink. Others may, of course, feel differently.

On a positive note, our server Esteban was very friendly, and attentive and prices were reasonalble.

2 Thank Bluebirds277
Las Cruces, New Mexico
“Good food, good atmosphere”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Very good food, attentive staff, great atmosphere. Only downside was a fellow diner ordered an enchilada plate he said was a regular for him, but was quite surprised when the green chile came out different than he expected. Staff didn't offer to accommodate, merely pointed out "that is the way it is prepared". My green chile was as expected (I specified hot).