“Toad Creek, wonderful meal in the wilderness!”

Little Toad Creek Inn & Tavern
Ranked #3 of 5 Restaurants in Mimbres
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

Stopped in at the resturant for a quick snack on our way to the Gila cliff dwellings. We decided that the "toadstool" and "roasted veggie chutney" appetizers sounded great, and it was far better than expectations. Paired with their own "small batch" porter, these gourmet appetizers really delivered. The toadstool, a fried, bredded portobello mushroom with a succulent herbed goat cheese was phenomenal! So rich and flavorful, my traveling partener and I forgot we were in the middle of nowhhere NM. The chutney delivered with a complex blend of tomatoes and veggies stacked on a fresh baguette. We immediately knew that we would return for q full meal.

That happened two days later. We returned for a full meal and were overwhelmed with the the quality of food and the service. We started with the "endive boats" that consisted of grapes, Roquefort cheese, radish bits, pistashios and pistashio vinagrette served on a four inch endive leaf. This was one of the most flavorful appetizers we have ever experienced. We paired this with a wonderful local cabernet, DH Lescombes from Demning NM, wonderful! The main course was quite possibly the most flavorful slice of flesh I have ever consumed! It was rare plus elk tenderloin with a complex blackberry port sauce. Absolutely mouth-watering! We followed that with an apple/strawberry crumble concoction with fresh vanilla ice cream that was noteworthy in its own rite.
I just realized that I haven't mentioned the service In any way. This is due to the flawless transparency of of the service. Ron, our absolutely overqualified in every way server, made us feel completely at home and educated us in the ways of proper selection, pairing and bird watching. Cutting this short; go there! Especially if you're not evan close....

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We stayed the night and ate dinner in the restaurant as it is in middle of nowhere. We had the fish and chips which were excellent - great beer batter and beautiful, excellent slaw with fries on the side. The food was fresh, extremely well prepared and delicious. It was attractive presentation as well. They didn't have a kids menu but had options that even my picky eaters enjoyed. The service was on the slow side but they were having an evening event which made them busy. Pretty garden in the back with tons of hummingbirds to watch. I would eat here again as it was fantastic.

1  Thank Suzanne Y
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Memorial day weekend 2014, my wife and I were out in this beautiful area staying at the Georgetown Cabins and exploring the area lakes. Monday morning we decided to go have brunch at the Little Toad. We got there early and sat in our truck until they opened. Sitting there just taking in the beauty of the area I guess made my mind wander and when we got out of the truck, I left the keys in the ignition and locked the doors. We figured we might be able to get a locksmith but would probable have to sit there for a few hours. We were also sweating the bill for holiday service. We went in to ask for information to make our call, when we met the Little Toad owner, DAVE. He said not to worry and that he would be right out to help us. Dave came out in a few minutes armed with a few tools and in a few minutes he unlocked our truck. Dave refused any kind of payment for his service. I would like to thank Dave again for going above and beyond to help a customer. After that we went in and enjoyed a delicious Brunch. We strongly recommend this restaurant.

1  Thank Rick H
Reviewed 8 December 2013

We stopped at the Little Toad Creek Inn after visiting the cliff dwellings. It was their last night of the season and not very busy. The service was excellent, the food was excellent and the atmosphere was excellent. I had the elk filet and my wife had the lamb. The vegetables were fresh and uniquely-prepared. The background music was just perceptible and of an amazing variety (from bluegrass to reggae to Sinatra to jazz guitar and more) and completely appropriate and entertaining during the meal. This was one of the best restaurant meals we've had in months.

Reviewed 3 December 2013

We stayed two nights here. We came primarily because we liked the concept of an inn with a brewery, a distillery and a tavern/restaurant all in one. We arrived to find the place a little more run down looking than expected. The room was very cramped, but clean. The restaurant serves very nice food, though I thought a bit pricey, and possibly not appropriate for a "tavern". It leaned toward "fine dining" which is not my take on middle of nowhere brew pub. The staff were extremely pleasant and helpful. The beer was OK, though they say they have three varieties, they were down to only one by the time we left. My wife tried the vodka that they distill and stopped after only one. I'll take that as a no.
To sum up. Good food, pleasant staff, OK beer, rooms not so much. I will say the room rates are very reasonable, so I wasn't expecting the world. I was very disappointed that they never cleaned our room after the first night, and the last morning I couldn't even make myself a cup of coffee because there wasn't any available in the "common room". All in all, I might go back, but it would only be for one night.
Good luck to the owners. I'll give them credit, it takes a lot of guts to try and pull off what they're doing, and it seems to be working!

1  Thank jollyguy