“Great owners, great hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sunset Motel

Sunset Motel
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Moriarty
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Great owners, great hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2012

Do yourself a favor and bypass the overly dramatic review regarding the non working telephone, it's very sad that someone has nothing better to do than trash a wonderful place because the in room telephone is not working. Two words: mobile phone.
The Sunset is one of those rare gems that are becoming less available in an overly homogenized world. The owners have a real love for their place and the history of Route 66 and it shows in both the upkeep of the property and the way they treat their guests. The rooms are spacious and comfortable with all the amenities of the large chain hotels but the property really shines in the way guests are treated. From the patio and bbq for guests to hang out on to the fun of hanging out in the lobby for coffee in the AM (and if you're lucky, some of the owners homemade NM food!), you just don't get an experience like this often anymore. We will be back to the Sunset!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank JjohnnyMac

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Newburgh, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2012

We stayed here on a cross country drive with three children. We had a suite, which had 2 double beds in one room, and another small connected room with one double bed. It was spacious. Our only real issue with at check-in. Google listed the hotel as open until 10:30 p.m. We arrived at 10:20 p.m. and found the place completely dark (also hard to see it in the dark!). When we went to the door it was locked. My husband banged and rang the bell. The owner came out and he had to yell through the glass, "WE HAVE A RESERVATION!" She then let him in. She said she thought everyone who was coming had arrived so she'd gone to bed early. I'm not sure how that happened because there aren't that many units. Anyway, we checked in and went to our room. Again the lighting is really an issue because it was hard to see just the distance from unloading our vehicle to our room door - only a few feet. They should really get some parking lot lights. But the room was mostly clean - the carpet is definitely old and stained, and the room had a strong old lady perfume smell but seemed clean overall. We were so tired we weren't too picky by that point. We slept okay. The mattresses are kind of springy (like, metal springs) and low to the floor. There were plenty of towels and washcloths left for us to all bathe. Breakfast was pretty lackluster - a handful of tiny danishes, plain Cheerios - but for the price we didn't expect much. It was fun to stay in a non-chain and by the light of morning we could see the place is actually painted and decorated very cute on the outside.

Room Tip: Room 18, the suite, was very spacious.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
mpogue, Owner at Sunset Motel, responded to this review, 26 May 2012
I am so sorry that your husband had to knock on the door! We try to give all of our guests the best experience that we possibly can and I really made a huge mistake when checking the registration for any guests who had not shown up! Your husband was very kind to accept my apology, but I am sure it was a shock to find the motel closed after a long day of travel. We have put a lot of work into the motel and do appreciate that you found it appealing in the light of day! We hope that you will come back when we are completely finished with our renovation and let us greet you the way you should have been!
Houston, Texas, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

Five (5) Stars without question. During a 35-year professional career - and now over 66 years of life - I have stayed in some of the finest hotels, a few dumps, and everything in between. When you stop to consider and give weight/value to not only the tangibles but the intangibles as well, the Sunset Motel is the absolute best place (again, all things considered) I have ever stayed and will stay there repeatedly in the future. I've slept in fine hotels in Geneva, London, Berlin, and a very long list of others in Europe, South America, Alaska, and most of the lower 48 states; many hundreds at the least. Sunset Motel is my favorite. Their website, their advertising verbiage is woefully weak and inadequate, does not, cannot convey the essence of what sets it apart. This is a place you cannot come even remotely close to judging accurately without experiencing it for yourself. It is so much more than the pictures, the furnishings, pricing, their verbiage, can convey. If you are ever in the area, try it. Try it just for a single night and you will understand. Their most prominent feature? It's the people; their attitudes, caring, service, attention to detail. A very important feature to me is it's so quiet.
The value is many times the price. Obviously, I love the place.

Room Tip: Gather, then consider all known parameters. Read the reviews; and when you find many of one type, o...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Jack L
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2011

I must say, the owner/managers are delightful folks. They said they were slowly remodeling, good damn thing - only I don't know why I was put in such a dump of a room.

The price was right. No real filth, and thank God, no bedbugs. It served it's purpose.

If I'm ever back that way I'd go check them out to see if more progress was made. Like I said, super folks, and it served my purpose. But if I was with a gal, no way in hell unless that place was rehabbed.

Room Tip: Serves it's purpose...
  • Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Inspector-Cluseau
mpogue, Owner at Sunset Motel, responded to this review, 23 March 2012
We are now completing our plumbing upgrades, restoring bathroom tile, refinishing bathtubs and painting, painting, painting, We still have work to do and hope you will be patient, but we couldn't wait to show off our newly refurbished rooms! Please come back and let us offer you a complimentary room to help make up for your experience!
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2011

We've stayed here for several years now when we come for the SASS End of Trail Cowboy Action Shooting match. It may be old, but the rooms were always clean, the management super nice and helpful, and the parking in front of the room was one of the best features for us. Compared to the horror stories about some of the other motels in Moriarty, I've never heard anyone complain about this one, and many people book up to a year in advance for EOT. We'll be there again this year.

Room Tip: All rooms have assigned parking.
  • Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Lorelei44256
Moriarty, New Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2010

This is our "get away" spot when my husband and I need a night on our own. We have stayed here several times and enjoy the cozy atmosphere. The staff is very friendly and accommodating and the rooms are clean and comfortable.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Euless TX.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2009

I saw this motel had a good review so I booked it a couple months in advance. The motel was terrible and overpriced which made it that much worse. The motel was old, but that wasn't a problem. Toilet flloding the bathroom floor when flushed, non-smoking room reeked of smoke and other unidentified odors. The carpet was sticky and shoes were a must. Airconditioner in second bedroom didn't work. The room was $75 and not worth $40. My wife and mother are still teasing me over my booking of this hotel!!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple