“Dave is fantastic...” 5 of 5 bubbles

Amarillo, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Dave is fantastic...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

I have fished with Dave Jacquez of Cottonwood Anglers numerous times over the last few years. He always is prepared with knowledge of what flies to use, at each part of the river, and what times are best to fish each section of the river. Dave is very patient with novice fly casters that knot their lines, that get their lines tangled and/or break off their flies or leaders. I would highly recommend Dave Jacquez at Cottonwood Anglers on the San Juan River if you can find a day he is not already booked....He is a great guide and a good guy.

Visited August 2011

SF Bay Area
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Excellent fly fishing guide at Navajo Dam”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2008

My husband and I recently tried Cottonwood Anglers for a day of guided fly fishing on the San Juan River near Navajo Dam, New Mexico. Dave Jacquez was our guide for the day, and we had a great day. I have only fished a half-dozen times, while my husband is a very experienced fly fisherman, and Dave was able to balance his time and attention between us very well. At one point, he parked my husband in an excellent riffle and turned him loose with the right combo of flies, and then helped me fish from the drift boat. At other times, depending on the conditions, we parked the boat and waded, or he would move us by boat to various likely spots. Dave was tireless (and amazingly quick) in changing flies if we didn't get results after a few drifts. Fish on the San Juan are big and picky, and the strikes are often super subtle, but even I was able to catch some good size trout, 12 -18" (rainbows and a nice brown)! My husband caught rainbows, cutbows and browns, all 16-20". Dave was very patient and knowledgeable, and also a pleasant guy with a great sense of humor. His son Nathaniel is also a guide, and we saw him on the river with some clients, but we don't have personal experience with him. The full day included lunch, which was nothing fancy but was very tasty. I would not hesitate to recommend Dave Jacquez of Cottonwood Anglers for anyone wanting a day or half day of guided fishing. [--]

1 Thank casamcabu